Harcombe diet after VLCD

Sparkley

Silver Member
I am on day 4 of Phase 1 of THD following 18 months on Exante - a VLCD. I lost 8 stones on Exante but since Christmas have put 2.5 back on. Feel like I have been on VLCD for too long and my body has just adjusted to the very low calorie intake. So giving THD a try to see if it can kick start my metabolism again.

So after a weekend off plan, I started Phase 1 on Monday. A sneaky weigh in this morning showed 7lb lost already - although I know from experience a lot of that is water.

I have found it very easy to stick too and felt full and satisfied with my meals.

Is anyone else trying Harcombe and how are you getting on?

Not sure if anyone on here is doing or thinking of doing The Harcombe Diet, but I started on Monday and today - Sunday - have lost 9lb. 9lb in 6 days is far more than I was expecting, considering I have lost 8 stones on a VLCD, put 2 back on and been messing around with VLCD for the last 6 months and getting nowhere. Am very impressed - enjoying the food, feeling full... Long may it continue!

Hello I'm here to follow you and very interested in this plan, 7 lbs is just great. Is it easy yo follow. I've been on and off Exante and the Cambridge diet desperate to break this cycle asap. X

Do you gave any tips please? I'm going to google now lol

Hi Honey J

I started Exante in July 2013 and did really well until I went on holiday in June 2014. I had lost 8 stones and felt great and the holiday had been my goal and focus. Once back off holiday I found it really hard to get back on track, had put weight on while away and still had 2 stones to lose. Since then I've really struggled, having weeks where I've been spot on with Exante, then weekends where I've been totally off the rails and undone the hard work.

My OH started Harcombe after some research. He's only got around 20lbs to lose and has now lost 1 stone on it. I was amazed at the amount he could eat and still lose weight. He's not a typical bloke who can lose weight easily, he has always struggled to shift any weight so we were both surprised.

I thought I would give it a go and so far so good.

Phase 1 is 5 days and strict but if you've managed a VLCD it's pretty easy in comparison!! The basic rules are to only eat unprocessed foods and not to mix carbs with fat/protein. So it's similar to Atkins but you can eat carbs - wholemeal pasta, brown rice and wholemeal bread - but not with fats or protein.

I tend to have poached eggs with griddled ham/bacon for breakfast. Chicken salad for lunch and then chicken curry with no rice or homemade veggie chilli for tea. It takes a bit of planning to make sure you have food in.

It will be interesting to see what happens this week. Last week was off the back of a carb fuelled weekend so a lot of my loss was water.

Let me know how you get on. X

Thank you for explaining I've ordered the book this morning. Can I just ask again you can't eat meat with carbs ?? I think I understand the rest ok :) Are you starting phase 2 this week? X

Hi Honey J

That's right - no meat/cheese/fish/eggs/butter/cream with carbs. But you can have those things with veg and/or salad. You can have a chicken breast wrapped in bacon and covered in cheese, you can have veg sauted in butter... lots of lovely things! But you can't have butter on toast or rice with your chicken curry. Cottage cheese can be had with either - so you can have a cottage cheese and salad sandwich, but you couldn't have a cheddar cheese and salad sandwich.

The book is really good.

Ye - started phase 2 now which is a bit more lenient. Will see how it goes!

X

Hi Honey J

That's right - no meat/cheese/fish/eggs/butter/cream with carbs. But you can have those things with veg and/or salad. You can have a chicken breast wrapped in bacon and covered in cheese, you can have veg sauted in butter... lots of lovely things! But you can't have butter on toast or rice with your chicken curry. Cottage cheese can be had with either - so you can have a cottage cheese and salad sandwich, but you couldn't have a cheddar cheese and salad sandwich.

The book is really good.

Ye - started phase 2 now which is a bit more lenient. Will see how it goes!

X
Hi sparkley :D thank you I understand better now. I'm starting on Saturday ( phase 1 ) to see how I get on. It's better than me being on VLCD that's for sure lol.

What at foods are you eating now in phase 2 ? X

Hi Honey - just weighed again this morning and another 1lb off! It seems hard to believe after the starvation of Exante!

In phase 2 you can have cheese (any), fruit, pulses, cream, wholemeal bread and jacket potatoes. Also in week one you have to avoid smoked food, such as smoked salmon, but in phase 2 you can add that back in.

Looking forward to you starting to see how you find it. For me it's really easy - I think you'll find the same having done VLCDs before! x

Thank you hun for sharing. I'm starting Saturday morning.
Does this menu seem ok to you please? ( my book hasn't arrived) :D

Saturday

smoked bacon & eggs ( breakfast)
chicken with mixed leafs salad (lunch)
steak / egg / mixed veggies (dinner)

Thank you hun for sharing. I'm starting Saturday morning.
Does this menu seem ok to you please? ( my book hasn't arrived) :D

Saturday

smoked bacon & eggs ( breakfast)
chicken with mixed leafs salad (lunch)
steak / egg / mixed veggies (dinner )

can I have fat free Greek yogurt as a snack sparkley please?

How how much have yiu lost now then WOW?? I'm pleased for you xx

Morning Honey J

That's all good apart from nothing smoked in phase 1 so unsmoked bacon and must be from the butcher to make sure no added preservatives.

You can eat natural live yoghurt - so as long as it says something about 'live' 'bio' or 'cultures' on it you'll be ok. I bough Onken fat free from sainsburys - it's very creamy!

So far I've lost 12lb in 10 days! 8lb inI phase 1 and 4lb since Saturday. Sooooo pleased! Good luck x

Morning Honey J

That's all good apart from nothing smoked in phase 1 so unsmoked bacon and must be from the butcher to make sure no added preservatives.

You can eat natural live yoghurt - so as long as it says something about 'live' 'bio' or 'cultures' on it you'll be ok. I bough Onken fat free from sainsburys - it's very creamy!

So far I've lost 12lb in 10 days! 8lb inI phase 1 and 4lb since Saturday. Sooooo pleased! Good luck x

right thank you lovely I will visit the butchers instead, your loss is just fantastic, please keep posting. Xx

Back