Has anyone tried this.

Ninja

Silver Member
I heard a new idea for a crispy snack food at my WI on Tuesday.

Using lasagne sheets, boil them, dry them on some kitchen towel, spray baking tray with fry light. Spread the sheets on tray and cut up into dorito style triangles. Spray with more fry light and season with cajun spice mix, or all purpose seasoning or whatever you like and bake in the oven for a few minutes. Need to constantly check them in the often because I think they cook quickly.
I haven't tried these yet but several people in my group raved about them and said they're really good with a LF dip or home made salsa.

Yep, I've made them. You need to watch them cos they burn easily, but are tasty!
Some say they aren't strictly allowed, as it's the whole 'using something in a way it wasn't meant to be' debate, but I think try them and eat in moderation and you'll be fine :)

Yep, my consultant agrees with above, she says when MMB developed the programme and said things like pasta, cous cous and chick peas were free food, they were to be used a food and not as cakes, crisps etc....

Hmm..... I say if they don't affect your weight loss then go for it!! But, they need to be the first things to go if you stop losing.

I think the idea of a weight loss plan is to be able to make the food as interesting and tempting as possible. Pasta can be used in lots of ways so I think its a good idea! I am going to try that later myself

I think the idea of a weight loss plan is to be able to make the food as interesting and tempting as possible. Pasta can be used in lots of ways so I think its a good idea! I am going to try that later myself

True, but I don't think you would ever see this in a SW mag or cookbook..... there's a reason for it!
Just be careful and remember to cut them out if you stop losing.
I think they would be a great idea for a dinner party/drink snack and better than doritos!

I remember seeing a recipe for crispy chickpeas in an old mag, they sounded gorge but they had a syn value - they were just chickpeas with some spice, baked to make them crunchy.

I asked my consultant why the had a syn as it was all free food in the recipe, she said you were much more likely to overeat them as they were just like a snack food, so you could easily munch through loads of calories on top of the free food you'd normally eat. It is the same as orange juice not being free. You're unlikely to eat 10 oranges in a sitting, but you'd drink it in 5 mins.

Prob wouldn't eat 2 cans of chickpeas as well as your daily food, but you might do if they were a crispy yummy snack ;)

As the others have said, try them, don't go mad but use them as an occasional snack when you really need that crunchy nibble. :D

I just made the lasagne dorito's and they're really good. I'm amazed. I used 3 sheets and put all purpose seasoning on them. I'm going to buy some onion salt for next time and see what that's like.

YUMMEH!

Those pasta doritos are really filling, but as they're so fiddly to make I only ever bothered the once. They're great when you've got that overwhelming urge for crisps though, as they satisfy the urge without ruining the sw plan. All things in moderation!

It was my consultant that told us about these last week in group. She said that the next time we have a tasting session she'll make some to bring along.

It was my consultant that told us about these last week in group. She said that the next time we have a tasting session she'll make some to bring along.

Isn't it strange, my consultant would have a fit about it!! I told her about my lemon chick pea cake one (recipe from my mum's SW consultant) and she told me off!!! :)

To me, it sounds like if I left my lasagne in the oven too long. The top would be crispy but I would not then call it syns lol....I think it is just a case of having them as a low fat, now and again version. All consultants seem so different. We have been told that chickpeas and cous cous have to be syns if used as a flour substitute. I choose not to question why....as I prefer this to be as simple as it can be....I just accept and eat full fat cake, where I understand why it has the syn value it has!

Back