Having a social life and explaining the plan to others??

I used to ask for soda water (fizzy water) some pubs and clubs make a minimal charge, others don't charge anything. Its up to you how you explain it - ie whether you want other people to know or not. Most of my friends knew I was doing it and were OK with it, and most people didn't even realise I wasn't drinking alcohol. If no-one knows and you don't want them to know, and they make a comment, say you are on antibiotics/driving/have to get up early etc etc. You can always think of an excuse. Don't forget though - NO LEMON in your drink.

Ha, I've had to use the antibiotics line a few times, it works great cos sometimes if you tell people ur on a diet they start trying to convince u that 'one little drink won't hurt' esp not if its a diet drink..... So to save hassle with people who don't need to know I'm on LT I'm always on antibiotic r driving really early in the morning (can't wait till Lent!! Then I'm 'off the drink'):)

I only told close friends and family. A good line is I'm detoxing after christmas / antiboitics / if your driving but really i don't think anyone would hardly even notice plus its really none of their business if you don't want to tell them.

Social life has gone down hill i'm on day 12 but i haven't been to a nightclub/pub since new years which is weird coz i usually do once/twice weekly. You save a bomb though! And no hangovers is scarey end up being REALLY productive at weekends.

But go for it girl and don't worry what other people think and best of luck.

it is hard, but usually once you have told them a couple of times the reason you are not drinking people tend to forget and carry on as usual, as soon as they see the weight coming off, tell them! I have used the seeing how long I can go without drinking this year challenge.. no one has tried to stop me yet.. but it is only the 15th Jan... lol. You will be fine, just be strong and don't give in to peer pressure! Good Luck xx

I've only told my closest friend that I'm doing lipotrim and when I tried before all she could see was that I was hungry and struggling - so her protective streak kicked and she started to talk me out of it. Our wee thing is goin out, havin a few (or six) cocktails and dancing away, so the last time we were out and I was drinking I completely poured my heart out to her. I said 'look, it is not just about being skinny this whole diet thing. I am desperately unhappy.' And for the first time I think she really understood and said. Now we've planned a night out where neither of us drink, she's gonna drive to make sure of it lol -and the dancing will be pure exercise! I suppose my suggestion is just sincerity. Let your friends know that you NEED to do this. Its not going to affect their night/fun and it will make you so proud of yourself to know that you can still have a social life that doesn't include your past bad habits. All the best - I hope you get there. ;)

I went out with friends last week and after explaining that i really needed to do this for me....they understood. Now they are they are being really supportive. I actually had a really good nightout and can remeber it all!!!!! Gave a bit of stick the next day to them with sore heads!!! I find the hardest thing about this diet is that it is hard to when catching up with freinds and family, as everything we do involves food and drink. But it will all be worth it in the end! Good luck!xxx

I had my first night out on the weekend where i wasnt drinking. I was avoiding it up til then. It was ok, people just thought i was drinking gin and tonic or something. Just make sure you avoid going in on any rounds so you dont have to ask anyone for what you want! Ok so you will be the only one sober while others are getting drunk, but once their drunk they wont realise your not drinking!! I spent about a fiver that night! Was really something!! Plus i got to drive there and back while everyone else had to take public transport etc.

I had my first night out on the weekend where i wasnt drinking. I was avoiding it up til then. It was ok, people just thought i was drinking gin and tonic or something. Just make sure you avoid going in on any rounds so you dont have to ask anyone for what you want! Ok so you will be the only one sober while others are getting drunk, but once their drunk they wont realise your not drinking!! I spent about a fiver that night! Was really something!! Plus i got to drive there and back while everyone else had to take public transport etc.

Yes!! I had to go out with friends last week and my bf was all supportive and didn't drink either.... a round for the 2 of us was less than €5!!!! When u consider than vodka + coke is bout €6!! Between the 2 of us we spent about €20 plus no chips on the way home. AND no hangover. Once you get used to it its not a big deal anymore.

I always have sparkling water with ice... I haven't really had too much trouble on a social level as I've screamed what I'm doing from the rooftops (kinda!!) People don't even notice after a while :D

Welcome and best of luck tomorrow. I have been on the diet (minor setback included!) and I have had a lot of nights out over Christmas and have drank sparkling water (obviously its Champagne in my head ;)) I drive everywhere now, getting quite attached to my car!

I havent told my colleagues and close friends so i do find social situations hard, as far as they're aware im low carbing - true? kind of! Ive said im drawing the purse strings for Jan so that should cover me for the next few weeks. Some people are dubious but i will show them my fab figure soon and question marks should turn to compliments for us all.

Hi

I offer to drive now and pick my friends up so I don't have to explain the lack of alcohol. They are very happy and it makes it easier knowing I can't drink :)

Thanks for all the help there guys. Some really good advice. I am on day 2 now and according to the wee sticks I am in ketosis. I have lost 4lbs as well (in only 2 days) and feel ok on it. It isn't as hard as I thought in terms of feeling hungry as I honestly dont feel hungry at all. But I STILL want to eat. Bit scared at the idea of 7 months on this program to be honest (I have 7 stone to lose).

Back