Having a week off...

londongirl88

So I had 2 stone to lose and I always said that after 1 stone lost I will have a week 'off'. Not like a cheat week, just a week to see how naturally these healthy habits are coming to me (ive been on Slimming world for 2 months).

I seem to be having a hard time 'forgetting' slimming world though, on the weekend i think it will be easy but in the week day I am just like a slimming world robot and I am genuinely worried that I wont know how to continue to make good choices once i have lost my last stone without constantly thinking of SW...

I guess my question is how on earth do you maintain with life after SW?!

SW is a healthy lifestyle plan, not a diet, so for me I don't really understand your post. Surely thinking of SW is a good thing - you're making positive, healthy changes and will (or should) continue to do so even when you reach target, otherwise what has been the point?

Sorry, but I am struggling to see the problem here...

I'm confused too, why would you want to "forget" about slimming world if it's helping you lose weight??

Well the problem is spending the rest of my life thinking about syns and healthy extras, instead of living a normal healthy lifestyle like many others do. SW has massively helped me stop binging etc but its not realistic to spend the rest of my life calculating syns and working out what is free food etc, right now it feels like its that extreme or another (as in back to binging) - im struggling to see how to be 'normal' and in the middle of the extremes, so my question is sort of aimed at maintainers. I don't believe that all losers from SW stick to SW rules for ever to maintain and thats what I wanted to know, how they are doing it!

Sorry if this comes across as rude, but you've only been doing Slimming World for 8 weeks by the looks of your signiture. Over time I have found that Slimming World becomes more of a way of life than anything. You will probably find yourself making healthier choices subconciously when eating out, etc.

Perhaps a maintainer might be able to shed a bit more light on this, as I still cannot fathom your problem. I do believe that Slimming World is a lifestyle change, one which will stay with me to target and beyond (as cheesy as that may sound!)

I had a week off the week before last, pretty much just thought I needed a break. Although I didn't stick 100% to plan I still had the sw mentalitiy and still lost 1.5lbs, I'm really pleased that sw stuck with me as it helped me make good choices that will stay with me when I leave. Got back on it and had a better loss.

There is nothing wrong with the plan staying with you even when you are no longer doing sw as it will help you make the right choices, and hopeflly means you won't pile the weight back on.

Sorry if this comes across as rude, but you've only been doing Slimming World for 8 weeks by the looks of your signiture. Over time I have found that Slimming World becomes more of a way of life than anything. You will probably find yourself making healthier choices subconciously when eating out, etc.

Perhaps a maintainer might be able to shed a bit more light on this, as I still cannot fathom your problem. I do believe that Slimming World is a lifestyle change, one which will stay with me to target and beyond (as cheesy as that may sound!)

Yeah I can understand how its easy to think that, but when you "only" have 2 stone to lose I'm not really gona be on it for years like some of the bigger losers... I guess my problem isn't really a problem, more of a post to vent some of my anxieties about reaching target and what to do then, I apologise if its not something I should have posted!!

I had a week off the week before last, pretty much just thought I needed a break. Although I didn't stick 100% to plan I still had the sw mentalitiy and still lost 1.5lbs, I'm really pleased that sw stuck with me as it helped me make good choices that will stay with me when I leave. Got back on it and had a better loss.

There is nothing wrong with the plan staying with you even when you are no longer doing sw as it will help you make the right choices, and hopeflly means you won't pile the weight back on.

Thanks downsize me, so it is normal to still keep that SW mentality even when your attempting to push it away!! I even left my food diaries at home so I can't look over them and plan things at my desk like I normally do!! I feel like I'm a bit SW crazy sometimes!

To me a week off would defo result in me slipping make into old ways, binging and having a takeaway! :(

That's what I'm thinking, so how do you know you won't do that once you're maintaining from SW? Or do we just accept that once in a while this might happen but because we are maintainers, so thats ok? I guess I'm just thinking too much in the future and should just stick to dieting for now, because as a fellow binger SW does often feel like a diet and not a 'lifestyle change' :sigh:

Well, what do you plan on doing when you get to target? Target members at my group are encouraged to stick to plan - with a tweak or two. They are encouraged to have an extra Healthy Extra choice, in order to help them to maintain. Healthy Extras are encouraged rather than extra Syns because extra Syns can be the slippery slope back into unhealthy ways.

Sorry if I sounded harsh in my other posts, I am just struggling to understand. I am a fellow binger too, which is why I know I will stick to SW even once I reach my "target". Otherwise I know the weight will pile back on and I'll be right back at square one - so what would have been the point in going to SW in the first place? If you get me...

Well, what do you plan on doing when you get to target? Target members at my group are encouraged to stick to plan - with a tweak or two. They are encouraged to have an extra Healthy Extra choice, in order to help them to maintain. Healthy Extras are encouraged rather than extra Syns because extra Syns can be the slippery slope back into unhealthy ways.

Sorry if I sounded harsh in my other posts, I am just struggling to understand. I am a fellow binger too, which is why I know I will stick to SW even once I reach my "target". Otherwise I know the weight will pile back on and I'll be right back at square one - so what would have been the point in going to SW in the first place? If you get me...

Yes you have established its a life style change, some people struggle more that others and feel like they are on a diet though. She is obviously worried about whether she will be able to maintain on the diet and not slip into old ways so is just asking for some support from people who are maintaining whether its easy to do with little thought or it involves planning everyday like she is doing at the moment?

I have found this is a problem for me now i am at target, i dont know how to stop loosing weight, i know that sounds silly because obviusly i could eat pizza, choc crisps etc and put weight back on but i dont want to do that, I dont want to loose any more but i dont want to start eating unhealthily and gain all the weight it has taken me so long to loose i have been doing slimmming world so long the 'rules' are ingrained and i have trouble straying from them :/ i first set my target at 8st7 but after continuously loosing i revised it to 8st2.5. I do actually think im starting to have issues with food :(

I think it's natural, when you're on the start of a diet, to get a bit obsessed by it. As time goes on, it starts to become more and more normal and it plays on your mind less during the course of the day. So I think you just need to give yourself some time - you can maintain by doing Slimming World, which is pretty much just healthy eating, and as time goes by it'll just become how you eat rather than something you need to think about too much.

I think also that people who genuinely stay slim without trying are the minority! Most people have to watch what they eat.

I have found this is a problem for me now i am at target, i dont know how to stop loosing weight, i know that sounds silly because obviusly i could eat pizza, choc crisps etc and put weight back on but i dont want to do that, I dont want to loose any more but i dont want to start eating unhealthily and gain all the weight it has taken me so long to loose i have been doing slimmming world so long the 'rules' are ingrained and i have trouble straying from them :/ i first set my target at 8st7 but after continuously loosing i revised it to 8st2.5. I do actually think im starting to have issues with food :(

*hugs* Can you not try adding more healthy extras to your meals? That way you're not adding junk, but you'll help yourself maintain. So do things like cooking with olive oil, have a bit more toast with breakfast and so on.

Oh my god can't believe how slim you are now, so envious of your stomach! Do you have a food diary on here? You definitely don't need to lose anymore but I see why it could be hard! Maybe try having double healthy extras??

Yes you have established its a life style change, some people struggle more that others and feel like they are on a diet though. She is obviously worried about whether she will be able to maintain on the diet and not slip into old ways so is just asking for some support from people who are maintaining whether its easy to do with little thought or it involves planning everyday like she is doing at the moment?

That is exactly what I'm asking, if I am going to be slimming world obsessed for the rest of my life lol

I have no idea!! I do it online so I have never met any other SW'ers, maybe once I am maintaining I should join a group just to keep me on track... being on SW keeps me focused and not binging, as soon as i relax it a little bit im like in a battle not to stuff my face! I just wonder if I will have to spend the rest of my life writing down my food and planning it?!

I got to target with SW last year after about 2 years of following the plan. I followed it pretty rigidly during that time with not many meals off etc I have been trying to get find a way to maintain the weight loss since then and am at a point now where I have to lose some weight to get back to target.
When following sw I felt it was a lifestyle change and thought I would always follow the plan. When I got to target I began to find it not so easy for a few reasons. At first when I still followed the plan even with increased healthy extras I still lost weight so found myself having to eat to put on weight to remain in target range which goes against the plan in my eyes?
Also I didn't find maintenance as motivating and found it harder to have to make healthy choices all the time when people I live and were surrounded by didn't seem to have to.(I know there have been lots of discussions on here as to why it may be that some people seem to be eating more than they do etc)
I love SW as it helped me to lose nearly 9 stone in weight but didn't like the lack of support for maintainers. In hindsight I also now see it as a weightloss plan, a healthy one where I have learnt lots of healthy ways of eating/cooking etc that I do still stick to at times.
I have been trying different ways of maintaining and losing because have failed to maintain and it is not easy from my point of view. I am now wondering whether to come back to sw for weight loss but still don't know how I would maintain the target when I get back to it!
I'm not sure a break at the stage you are at is a good idea but you have to do what you feel is right and there is lots of anxieties around weight loss and I can't see why you can't vent them here but of course there could be responses with differing opinions to yours as we are all different etc
For eg it was actually what you said about bigger losers that ruffled my feathers because I was a bigger loser and was on sw to lose for a couple of years but the lbs I've gained since target feel a lot harder to shift and it feels like have been trying to get rid of those for a lot longer and I'm sure there are people with only 2 stone to lose that have been on sw for a good while as well but thats probably just me being over sensitive.
I hope it works for you as you plan x

I agree with everyone else, you look amazing! But I suffered with anorexia in my teens and I feel like I might have the same issue as you once I get there, too scared to relax because it took so much hard work to get it off in the first place!

Back