Having to really pay attention and feels like diet- not very SW?

frankied

Silver Member
I have to really concentrate to do Slimming World, what I am eating, how much, portion size and try really hard not to have snacks and if I do to make sure they are superfree AND speed foods. SW advertises unlimited food and no counting but if I did this I really would be eating to much to loose weight.

It does really feel like a diet, and I do have to very careful and aware of what I'm eating (free food) and how much. But this isn't what Slimming World suggests or advertises at all. Does anyone else find this? I'm 13 weeks in but feel disappointed in how much it feels like any other diet and I do feel deprived. I feel like it's much more to do with my willpower rather than the way SW works.

I love that I'm loosing weight but feel like it's not at all how SW ads and first meeting explained how it would it be and how different from other diets it was in being able to eat and eat.

I really don't know how you can feel like this hun! :confused:

I've always been greedy with food and I'm the first to admit it. I've struggled with every other diet I've tried but have to say that SW has been so easy for me. I'll eat anything and everything and enjoy most things with very few foods that I dislike. So maybe you're struggling cos you just don't enjoy eating the types of food that is free on SW? There is so much variety that I never seem to get bored. Do you vary your diet? Are you trying new foods? Have you looked at some of the recipes on the forum? Are you getting any support from your family and friends? Read through the tips thread cos there are some brill ideas on there to make things a bit easier, more affordable, etc.

Tell us exactly what it is that you're unhappy with and we'll all try to help you. Thats what we're all here for hun.

Hello. Sorry you feel this way.

You mention you have to count, otherwise you won't lose weight. How do you know this? Have you not been losing some weeks? Or are you just worried eating more will stop your weightloss?

Following SW is an easy, maintenable way to lose weight. It helps you to make better choices, which will help you maintain a lower weight for the rest of your life. Knowing which foods are superfree and super speed will enable you to make better choices.

Being on any diet will take an element of thought, and meal planning. If it was easy, and required no thought at all, so many of us would not have to be on a diet in the first place!

SW is much more 'free' than any diet I've ever come across. You can get through most days without needing to use scales (I try and do all my weighing out and portioning on shopping day - then put my scales away for the rest of the week)

If you find you are measuring more than this - maybe you need to change your approach. With SW, as long as you are choosing the right foods, selecting at least 1/3 superfree, and only eat until you are satisfied (not fit to bursting) you will lose weight, without needing to measure anything.

Hope this helps. Well done on 13weeks on plan!

I guess different diets suit different people but I can honestly say that I find SW much easier than the other major name diet plan I followed. I don't feel hungry, I'm not bogged down by weighing and last time I got way too caught up in the calories etc in a rather unhealthy way. SW really suits me far better, however, we are all different and perhaps a different plan would suit you if you are finding it so difficult.

I do love veg and salad though. One thing I have found is that it is better if I meal plan for the week ahead of time (even loosely) but to some extent running a family and being on a budget I've always had to do this.

The other thing is that in the first week I was REALLY concerned I had eaten too much to lose (and I do eat a lot!) but I hadn't so perhaps you are being overly cautious.

Have you tried other diet plans? Do you like fruit and veg? Have you read through the food diaries, I found this enormously helpful. Have you tried making some free veg soup to always have in for hungry times? It might help. I hope you work it out or find something that suits you though :)

You seem to have very big losses, if you relaxed a bit you'd probably enjoy it more but have smaller losses, so I suppose it's a question of which you'd prefer?

I have to really concentrate to do Slimming World, what I am eating, how much, portion size and try really hard not to have snacks and if I do to make sure they are superfree AND speed foods. SW advertises unlimited food and no counting but if I did this I really would be eating to much to loose weight.

It does really feel like a diet, and I do have to very careful and aware of what I'm eating (free food) and how much. But this isn't what Slimming World suggests or advertises at all. Does anyone else find this? I'm 13 weeks in but feel disappointed in how much it feels like any other diet and I do feel deprived. I feel like it's much more to do with my willpower rather than the way SW works.

I love that I'm loosing weight but feel like it's not at all how SW ads and first meeting explained how it would it be and how different from other diets it was in being able to eat and eat.

You say that if you did what SW advertise then you would be eating too much to lose weight but looking at your losses you have lost every week so how can you be sure? I think it may be partly your mind set?
I lost a lot of weight without worrying at all about portion sizes or speeds or superfree but yes I have had to adjust things as I have gone along because my body needs less cals etc and now I am more careful. I think though that most people if they want to maintain a healthy weight without gaining do have to be reasonably careful what they eat and make good choices most of the time which is what SW is about in my mind. Not a diet but a healthy way of eating for life.
Personally I do think with the extra easy plan you do have to be more careful to limit the cal intake but love that I can do that without weighing and measuring and with lots of options to choose from within the superfree range.
Do you use your syns? I do and always have up to the upper limit of 15 a day or 105 a week because thathelps me stop feeling deprived and allows me to have treats such as crisps, alcohol, wine/alcohol etc within plan.
I agree with aunty net please help us to help you through this and share more info on what you are unhappy with xxx

Hi, I understand where you are coming from. In front of me I just had, a pack of rolo's, a toffee crisp and a crunchie and I didn't have any of them. You do have to think about what you are eating to a certain extent, to make sure you are sticking on plan, however you do have plenty of freedom.
I knew I couldn't have any of the chocolate as I'd already had 5 syns today. So I had a crunchie biscuit instead at 4syns - therefore still having some chocolatey goodness and not depriving myself but making a better decision.
You have to be aware of what you're eating so you stay on plan, but dont worry about measuring anything unless its your hea, or heb.
You know that there are parts of the plan that you do have to measure and count - but you have the freedom of free foods, no measuring, no counting - just munch!!
If you need anything dont hesitate to ask. Check out some of the food diaries, if you think it will help :)
xx

I think any diet brings compromises with it. Slimming World won't suit everyone and I agree that if I ate as much as I wanted I'd never have lost all my weight, but now they say eat until you're satisfied.
I'm particularly drawn to the fact that you say that you feel deprived. I think you probably don't like the tyoes of foods that are free as someone said above. I have a friend wo could never do SW because she doesn't like so many types of food, whether she's tried them or not. I, on the other hand, am just happy as long as I'm eating.
My friend is better off on a calorie counting diet, because she can fit in what she likes because there are so many things that she won't even try.

frankied said:

I just wanted to pick up on what you said about snacking. You DONT have to avoid snacking. If you are hungry between meals you are allowed to eat. The foods you eat for snacks DONT have to be super free or speed food at all. If im hungry between meals and want a mug shot ill have it! I know sw and people on here do suggest you get the bigger losses snacking on superfree but that is only a suggestion not a golden rule. I do green days mainly cos i cant be doing with all that one third superfree.

Also when you talk about feeling deprived what is it you feel like your missing out on? Are you letting yourself get too hungry or are you missing out on certain types of foods like processed foods or sweets/snacks?

I used to do ww and i find that while sw does require some concentration it is not as much hard work as ww. Today on sw all ive had to weigh is my porridge and my milk. On ww i had to weigh everything and pretty much work out all my days meals in advance. If i wanted to have something for brekkie i had to work out how many points it left me with for the day and what else i could have within that amount. Now on sw i decide what i want for my meals at that meal time generally.

Every diet requires some level of concentration and effort. I know i can eat pizza and chocolate all day if i want. Ive been doing that diet all my life and i know it makes me put on weight. I now accept i have to compromise in exchange for getting the figure i want.

Do please tell us whats making you feel deprived and we can try to helpxxx

First thing to note is that SW don't advocate eating as much as you want - its as much as you need to feel full. So put as much as you want on your plate, but if you get full STOP eating
Second thing is to inject a bit of realism here. Of course you can't eat like you did before- eating bad food or too much food is how we all got here in the first place. You have to exercise control in order to lose or maintain weight, no matter what plan you are following. SW is one of the most practical and fuss free plans out there IF you follow it right. This means eating as much as you need, snacking if needed ( though my c says if you need to snack you aren't eating enough at mealtimes.) using your syns to prevent feelings of deprivation, and teach you to exercise control. You don't seem to be following it properly at present and seem to be thinking far too hard about it. No wonder you're feeling like its hard work.

I choose sw this time as I dont just want to loose weight but want to eat a really healthy diet. I don't personally eat things like mugshots etc as trying not to eat any processed foods. I think idea is that you can eat free foods but only till satisfied and with ee third rule to increase veg intake. I do ration my food to some extent, I dont weigh free food but I have at least third often more veg with every meal and I make smallest portion of meal the carbs such as rice/pasta etc. I know mullers are free but I only have 1 a day. Reason being is I am trying to eat like a normal person and eating 6 yogurts just because they are free is not portion control. I remember years ago my mums friends did sw and lost weight but was eating things like 2 whole cooked chickens for her dinner and having a sandwich with 1/2 pound cold meat on it just because she could. She gained it all back and more as stopped sw and starting eating all foods she had before and was still eating same huge portions. Part of the reason I hate ww is I would find myself with points left and not being hungry and eating a bar of chocolate to get rid of them as was told needed to eat my points.
SW for me is not a diet but a way that I can learn how to eat in a healthy way and understand portion control. As I see this as a long term lifestyle change that I will follow for rest of my life and not a quick fix to loose weight and then revert back to what I did before

I guess if I'm honest I avoid eating at all between meals even if I start to get hungry. I can also sometimes avoid breakfast worrying that if it I'll be having too many cals overall. I love having big losses and have been with what I have been doing with a descent amount of exercise. I was having small losses when was less careful and I find small losses really hard to deal with.
I am a fussy eater but have tried hard with the third superfree with ee as I just wouldn't know what to eat on red or green.
I do eat my syns 15 a day but still feel like I want more, but if eat more I'm not loosing much at all.

frankied said:
I guess if I'm honest I avoid eating at all between meals even if I start to get hungry. I can also sometimes avoid breakfast worrying that if it I'll be having too many cals overall. I love having big losses and have been with what I have been doing with a descent amount of exercise. I was having small losses when was less careful and I find small losses really hard to deal with.
I am a fussy eater but have tried hard with the third superfree with ee as I just wouldn't know what to eat on red or green.
I do eat my syns 15 a day but still feel like I want more, but if eat more I'm not loosing much at all.

What do you consider to be a small loss just out of interest? Recommended weight loss is 1-2lbs a week remember. If you plan to get to target & stay there long term you need to be able to stick long term to whatever plan you do.

I think alot of people get hung up on calories if you look at the food you are eating it is normally low in fat. so although you may be eating huge portions that fat content of that meal is very low. This is why slimming world steers away from processed foods such as jar sauces and frozen meals as they tend to be packed with sugars which increase the fat content. Also the foods you eat that are super speed and speed are those foods that are supposed to keep you fuller for longer. It's taken me a year and a half to get where i am today and my loses have been slow, but I always think it took me a good 3 years to put it on so if it's only reasonable it should take me nearly as long to get it off. Stick with it your doing really well just trust the plan :)

I noticed that you say you skip breakfast. I know you will have heard a thousand times that breakfast is most important meal but skipping breakfast will not do you any good. I am going to a personal trainer and I am bad for missing breakfast as always in a rush. Told me that it is worse thing I am doing. Blood sugar levels drop while sleeping and if you then go long period without eating will drop further and further. When you do eventually eat firstly you are likely to be hungry and make poorer choices and this can cause your blood sugar to then go really him. If your body goes without food like these for long periods of time it hangs on to food as fat when it gets it. I have been making effort to eat breakfast and feel much better for it and making good choices at lunchtime.

Cinders is right in that skipping breakfast is a big no-no when you're dieting. Without going into all the nutritional garb, basically if you eat when you first get up then it kick-starts your metabolism and your body will start using up calories much faster than if you haven't eaten. If you can't face a big breakfast or you haven't got time then grab a banana or a cereal bar or even a yogurt, anything at all is better than nothing.

Check out the food diaries for ideas of what to eat and what will satisfy your appetite more. Also for ideas about the different plans available and maybe a different one will suit you better. Its all trial and error.

You have had some brilliant losses so far - almost 2 stone in 3 month which is awesome!!!! but as you lose more and more, over time the big losses will slow down. Don't get disheartened by this cos its just normal. Keep at it hun, you'll get there.

Sorry if this sounds snappy, but my losses were rarely below 2.5lbs a week, usually ranging between 2.5 - 4lbs, 2 stone in 2 months. And I ate and ate and ate, until I was full.

Eat breakfast! Eat when you're hungry!

Don't make yourself miserable long term for the big losses on the scale, the big losses are only a road to target and then maintenance, although they feel great they are a short term thing. It's about finding a way of eating be it SW, WW or whatever floats your boat that enables you to maintain and lose weight in a way you can stick to without being miserable.

Why not snack? That's why you have syns! Free foods and superfree! It's not just one type of this you have to eat.

It seems a bit like you're a making a rod for your own back or painting yourself into a corner.

Why not try relaxing a wee bit and see how you go?

I love having big losses and have been with what I have been doing with a descent amount of exercise. I was having small losses when was less careful and I find small losses really hard to deal with.

I guess that you can't have it both ways. Just weigh up which is most important to you. Personally I'm more than happy with 1-2lbs a week while still being able to eat out, have a treat, etc etc. I find that more sustainable in the long term and I do genuinely feel as though I could stick to this plan forever and am not deprived. Remember that you're supposed to be re-educating yourself so that when you reach target you can maintain it rather than go completely mad and put a load of weight back on! Hope you sort it out x

For me, the more free and superfree food I eat, the more I seem to loose. I guess everyone is different though.

frankied said:

Frankied i really feel for you and i could have quiet easily written something similar to the above a year or even six months ago. I was back doing ww for the millionth time and i was determined the weight was gonner come off this time and quickly too. I got so focused on the numbers on the scales that i had the same meals all day everyday and i did some stupid things like skipping meals and trying to live off lower than the recommended minimum points just to get the big loss on the scales. After about two months i went on a mad binge cos i was so fed up and im back to what i was before. I went to sw in jan but my head still wasnt in the write place. I was fed up cos sw wasnt working even though id lost half a stone in a month. It was working just not fast enough for my liking.

I cannot say exactly how ive gotten to where i am now but i have reached a point where i accept ill lose weight at around a rate of a pound a week in exchange for eating like a normal person. Sw do advocate that theirs is a flexible eating plan but they do also only advocate a loss of one to two pounds a week. I dont think sw is the problem its how you follow it but i honestly think you may feel this way no matter which plan you do. I know i did. Sw can be the flexible plan that lets you live life if you let it. You will still lose weight if you do this and at a more sensible rate.

Back