Healthy Eating Newbie

13katrina

Hi there,

Well as the title suggests I'm a healthy eating newbie - not that I've never eaten healthly but it's certainly the first time I've considered eating healthly to lose weight!!! I've just read that back and it seems so obvious doesn't it?

I've tried just about every diet with varying degrees of weight loss. However, I can't claim to have been successful because right now, today is the most I've ever weighed in my life.

So, here I am again - I seem to have updated my profile on here so many times, each time I've entered a different diet name (and sadly a higher starting weight).

Anyway, I just thought I'd say hi and if anyone has any hints and tips for losing weight the healthy way, I'd really appriciate it.

Katrina x

Welcome to the forum!

I too, have been here many times and tried many diets. None of the weight has stayed off. I have been toying with several dieting options and have decided to go for the cheapest option - Healthy Eating and exercise.

How about we start together in the new year, motivate one another, provide regular contact and daily reports in order for us to both maintain motivation and determination?

Do you have a goal date that you are aiming for?

Hi Katrina. I've tried lots of diets in the past - from cabbage soup to Cambridge and lots inbetween:eek: This time I decided that I wanted to get the weight off and keep it off so and keep it cheap:). Calorie counting and healthy eating plus exercise has worked for me. Good luck with your weight loss xxx

Hi there ladies,

Thanks ever so much for the replies - I was starting to think I wouldn't get any - it does seem to be a fairly quiet board.

Well done Meltdown on your fantastic weight loss - have you been at goal long?

MrsPopi - I would love to buddy up with you. I don't really have a goal date in mind yet. Do you have much to lose? I've got over four stones, so would imagine it will take until at least the summer.

Hi there,

I'm on a lower-carb, low cal version of eating healthily, and it's really working for me so far. I think this is the healthiest I've ever been with what I'm eating - let's just say that there's no problem whatsoever in me getting my 5-a-day! :D

My thinking about the diet is that it can't just be a diet to shift the weight, as then I'll go back to my old habits and put it all on again. For me, I think this has to be a change for life. Once this weight is gone, there's no way on this planet that it's going back on!

We're aiming for a similar sort of weight loss, so it would be great to cheer each other along, if you'd like to :)

Hi Moog

Well done on loosing 14lbs. I've yet to weigh myself this week but am sure I haven't gained much over the christmas period as I've been quite restrained.

What is your typical days eating like?

I've yet to formulate any sort of real plan!!! I actually finish work on the 7th January to concentrate on my Avon business, so I should have a lot more time on my hands to get organised.

I would love to have someone to chat to who is in a similar sort of position.

:D

I'm trying to be a healthy eater, too!

I suggest keep sugars, empty carbs (anything with white flour) and saturated fats low, and things like complex carbs (whole wheat/grain), protein, and fiber HIGH. This will help to keep you feeling fairly full. :) Try to eat vegetables every day and even just 10 minutes of exercising a day counts. Good luck!

My typical day's eating is lower on the calories than you'd need. I've got a medical complication which means that my metabolism isn't good at the best of times and I don't lose any weight at all and can gain even at about 1500 calories a day. So this will be too low for you - my GP is fine with it for me though :rolleyes:

Breakfast - tea with semi-skimmed milk, followed by about 100g non-bio low fat yoghurt. Sometimes this will have some fresh fruit in - blueberries etc.

Lunch - soup of some variety. I really like the Covent Garden ones, so they tend to be often on the menu. Miso soup is lovely and also very low in calories, so it's a useful one to have around in case I've eaten too many calories elsewhere. I'll have some fruit with lunch as well. An apple or a banana. Occasionally instead of the fruit, I'll eat a Go Ahead fruit and yoghurt biscuit (it only has 71 cals, so not too bad!)

Dinner - tends to be the main meal of the day. It'll be a LARGE salad - mixed leaf, spinach, rocket - with a variety of other things chucked in - peppers, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, spring onions, grapes, nuts etc - and then one of a selection of meats/fish to go with it. I'm eating a lot of salmon, chicken, duck, venison, cod. The dressings/sauces are always low cal - pizza express low cal salad dressing is a favourite, but it's not always that.

I don't snack very much and keep some chewing gum handy in case I get the munchies!

Don't know if that helps or hinders. You'd be able to get LOADS of calories in on top of that easily, so you've got a lot of scope about the sort of things you'd be able to eat. That's my typical day, but some days it does vary a bit. I've got stuffed vine leaves and whatnot to eat tomorrow, so it's not always the same ;)

Last edited:
Hi all,
I'd like to join you all as well, I am officially starting on the 1st, as it seems a good date, but am already trying to eat a bit healthier.
I struggle with exercise as I literally have no time in the day, if I do, I have my children and therefore struggle to get out even just for a walk.
As you can tell by my ticker, I have a lot to lose. I have also tried so many times before and really need to lose it this time, as it gets me down so much. I have been on this site before, and gave it up over two years ago, story of my life really, but am ready for a big change.

Hope that you all succeed in your goals, and would love to join you in this life changing challenge...

Hi Ladies can I join too, I too have been on loads of diets ive lost some weight and put it back on but always end up feeling like Im not doing it right and giving up. I want to lose 3 stone ish. I was also at the gp recently and I have high bp which is not good and Im only 33 so a bit young for it.
So Im starting officially tomorrow but I wont be binging or eating take away tonight - Im done with it, I just want to be healthier from this very minute - Im going to load my boys into the buggy now and go for a walk for an hour! So heres to a happy healthy 2011, my main goal is to be nice to myself when I go off track now and again - forgive myself and move on. Im hoping to try for a baby in a few months so i really want to shift some weight first.

Im planning to eat only my own homemade wheaten bread, and no chocolate at all for a while, Ill have an odd biscuit if I fancy it but chocolate and me do not get on well!! Otherwise Ill just be eating health and exercising lots!!
How often are ye planning to weigh in?

How is everyone getting on - I've finally started and I lost 4 lbs in my first week - woo hoo.

Hi Katrina and everyone :)
Well done on your 4lbs drop, what a fab start!!
I too am having a revelation and realising that if I just eat a bit less and much more healthily it should drop off without toooo much effort ;)
Have a good Monday all
Heather

Back