Healthy Extra Houmous??

hayleyp86

I need some advice. On my healthy extra sheets it says:

(s) 28g Houmous
57g Houmous

But no mention of if the bigger quantitie is a reduced fat kind! Now loving the stuff iw ould pray i can have the bigger quantity... whats the difference please?

The S beside the 28g entry indicates that this is a speed food. So if you are trying to increase your intake of speed foods in an effort to lose weight more quickly then you should have this amount. If you are not bothered about speed foods then have the 57g.

I just whizz up a tin of chick peas, ground cumin and coriander, some water to thin it to the required consistancy.
Add seasoning and some lemon juice and fresh coriander if you want it.

You can syn some tahini paste if you like, but I never do.

Another good one is to roast some peppers and then add these to the mix (after removing the pepper skins)

I just whizz up a tin of chick peas, ground cumin and coriander, some water to thin it to the required consistancy.
Add seasoning and some lemon juice and fresh coriander if you want it.

You can syn some tahini paste if you like, but I never do.

Another good one is to roast some peppers and then add these to the mix (after removing the pepper skins)

Thanks for that - Ill give it a go today!! Is the tahini free too?

I always make my own! Much nicer :D
I make it pretty much the same as jaylou, although sometimes add lemon juice/garlic.

A recent invention was to whizz some roasted vegetables with the chick peas. (makes a huge batch though) Lush with crudettes :) x

"Low-fat" houmous is a bit confusing, because the stuff labelled low-fat or light often contains more calories and fat than some of the non-low-fat flavoured varieties. Tesco plain low-fat houmous, for example, contains more calories and saturated fat than Tesco caramelised red onion houmous (not a low-fat variety - I presume this is because it contains veg as well as other ingredients). So I don't know which to choose! Anyway, I have started making my own now as others have suggested.

Thank you everyone for your help! I think i will have the 57g then today to go with my Tuna Salad lunch today NOMNOM!! But going forward i will be trying to make my own version for the next time...unlimited Houmous WOW :)

Just adding my thanks to Jaylou for this recipe. How long would this keep in the fridge for, presuming I don't eat it all in one go?

I need some advice. On my healthy extra sheets it says:

(s) 28g Houmous
57g Houmous

But no mention of if the bigger quantitie is a reduced fat kind! Now loving the stuff iw ould pray i can have the bigger quantity... whats the difference please?

The differences are if you have 28g of the reduced fat one it counts as a speed food.
The 28g one without the S symbol is just for normal houmous.
Then 57g of reduced fat is just classed as a HEB.

To be honest ive had the reduced fat one and its just as nice as the normal one. xxx

Can't believe I missed this thread until now, I love hummous and hadn't even noticed it is a HeB, I thought I wasn't really using mine as I was synning what I had.

Nice to know I can have some for less syns.....or just have some more for free :D

Back