Heart rate monitors

RachelM

just bought one for £25 that has stopwatch, lap memory, calorie count etc but I have to wear the strap around my chest to measure my bpm and the watch part is enormous! Does anyone know of any that measure your pulse just by the wrist? even better if its cheap haha! I know they're not as accurate as the chest strap but I would really like one I could wear all day.

many thanks, rach x

This is a complicated one really! The chest heart rate monitor is useful for working out your comfortable running pace and the pace you run at just before you start working anaerobically. One you have these figures you can just set your pace via the watch and you know that if you are running at 8.6km/h (say for instance) that this pace is comfortable for your everday training runs but a pace of 9.7km/h is a more intensive pace to use during interval training and that 11km/h is on the anaerobic threshold. You shouldn't need to wear the monitor all day unless you are training aerobically all day. The Garmin 405 is a nice neat watch but pricey.

Back