Hello all

emilyc02

Hello,

Im emily 28 from berkshire uk I have pcos and work hard to keep my weight down.
I have been anything from a size 16 to an 8 now im a 12 working to the 8 mark!!

I had a baby boy in march and was 13 stone:cry: now thanks to the Gi diet im about 9.5 stone but I want to get to just over 8 stone which for my 5ft 2 hight is a normal weight.

I love horses, dog and walking with my son.

It would be nice to make friends and any Gi tips would be good.

quick question- is it ok to eat sugar free stuff? like chocolate and jams?

Emily :)

Hi and welcome to the forum. Congrats on your new baby. You have made a great inroad on your weight in a few months. Well done to you.
On the sugar free chocs and jams. I have tried sugar free chocolate and found it still kicks off cravings. Gi will recommend 70% cocoa content. This is so bitter that you will only eat a little.
Generally, "sugar free" foods have a lot of additives or sugar substitutes or just a lot of natural sugars. Gi is all about balancing sugars. So on a day when you have little sugar otherwise i think a sugary treat is fine. My advice is read the labels and go for anything that has as much natural ingredients as possible. I love the Nakd range of bars which are just coldpressed fruit, nuts, oats etc. These satisfy a sweet craving. I also sometimes use the no sugar st dalfour jams which in small amounts can't do much harm.
Keep posting your progress. Check out the threads in the stickies section for some useful info too.

Hi Emily and welcome. :) Like Molly I also like the St Dalfour sugar free jams; I usually just have a teaspoon or so and make sure that I've got enough protein at the same meal to balance it out. So I might have a little bit on wholemeal or rye toast and then have scrambled eggs, for example. As far as sugar substitutes/artificial sweeteners go, I try to avoid them not only because they are not very healthy but because I've read that they can make you crave more sweet foods. If I really want to sweeten something and a liquid sweetener is ok, I use agave nectar which is lower GI than sugar. I've also seen that a new product is available called Sweet Freedom but I haven't tried it. It is produced by Nigel Denby's crew at Diet Freedom so I assume it is lower GI also as that is what they promote!

Congratulations on your new baby and on your weight loss so far! I'm always in awe of people who lose weight whilst looking after a newborn!

Hi Emily, welcome and congrats on your baby and for your weightloss. That's really great that you've come so far in a short time with GI. I'm sure the rest of your weight will go quickly too :)

Back