Help Confussed with 5:2 and JUDDD!! Questions please help!!

ibizasunshine

Hi Ladies I am hoping that you can help me..I have been reading lots of your threads as well as LOTS of other info on the internet and I have got myself really confussed as to what diet to follow for best weightloss and how to follow it?? Would you be able to tell me which one you think works best for weightloss?

I was just about to start the the 5:2 diet where you eat relatively what you would like to for 5 days but then for two days you only eat 500 calories. Some people say you can have the 500 calories throughout the day others say its best to have them all at one meal others I have read said on your fasting days actually its best not to eat ANYTHING...

.then I came across JuDDD and intermitent fasting diets where you are fasting every other day?? Which diet have you found is working better for you?

Also are you alowed to drink a glass of wine on your non fasting days...? Does it matter if you go slightly over your 500 calories?? Also I hear that it is better to do 5:2 and Juddd not eating meat is that correct????

I would really apprecaite your help I am desperate to get started but dont want to waste a month doing it wrong! Please help xxxxx

I haven't done the 5:2 so I can't help you with that.
I've been doing JUDD since the 1st of October and have lost weight every week doing it, so I definitely recommend it.
Some people eat their 500 calories throughout the day an find that easier, others eat them all at once on an evening. I started out with having them throughout the day but found that made me more hungry. Now I wait until about 8pm and have them (whilst using about a 100 during the day for milk for my coffee etc). The first week of DDs may seem really hard but honestly they get SO much easier. So much so that I barely feel hungry on them now. And even if I do, I feel good about it as your DDs are the magic in this diet.
Yes you really need to stick to 500, going over by a tiny bit won't hurt, but try not to. It's best to stick to the 500 if you can.
You can drink a glass of wine on your UD yes, that's what UDs are for, to be enjoyed :)
I hope you enjoy this diet as much as I still am, it's seriously brilliant! Never would I have thought I could eat chocolate etc 4days out of the week and still lose weight!

Thanks Miss Nic...you have done soo well ...its a stone and a half in how many months??
On your UD days do you watch your calorie intake at all??? Do you eat healthy foods?

How many fast days do you do and how many Ud days do you do???

Thank you so much for your help!!xx

Thanks Miss Nic...you have done soo well ...its a stone and a half in how many months??
On your UD days do you watch your calorie intake at all??? Do you eat healthy foods?

How many fast days do you do and how many Ud days do you do???

Thank you so much for your help!!xx

3 months, it doesn't sound much weight but I didn't have as much to lose as some people and I thought it would have took me a lot longer. I'm 1.6lbs away from my target weight, so I'm happy.
To be honest on my UD I don't count calories, and don't eat particularly healthy. I usually have porridge (or If its a weekend then I have sausage sandwiches) for breakfast, pitta sandwiches with cheese, ham and coleslaw and a bag of crisps for lunch, then a tea (chips and chicken dippers etc) and then a bar of chocolate. Sometimes odd little snacks threw in there throughout the day. I just try not to go OTT.
I have 3 fast days (Monday, wed and Fri) and Tue,Thur,Sat and Sun are my UDs.
I hope that helps x

The 5:2 Diet is not really about losing weight but about improving health & longevity. Weight loss is often a result of reducing calories through fasting 2 days a week, but not everybody will lose weight. I fast 3 days a week Mon/Wed/Fri and have lost weight steadily. I do eat 3 meals on a DD but only soup or oatmeal. On my UD's i eat healthily with treats such as chocolate or cake. I do track calories but only because I've done it forever. I have a friend who had fasted true alternate days for 12 months straight and she has lost 109lbs!!! Its a very flexible way of losing weight. Give it a go & see what suits you.

ibizasunshine said:
Which diet have you found is working better for you?

During my first 12 weeks I stuck to strict UD DD rotations and lost just over 17 lb. I think this is the best way for me to lose weight. I do not think I would lose on the 5:2 plan. I have been tempted to try the Mon, Wed, Fri DD and Tues, Thur, Sat, Sun UD but feel my losses would maybe be even lower so will stick to strict rotations for now. I may experiment later on closer to goal. Right now I just want this weight off!

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Just to clarify, JUDDD, 5:2, 4:3 and Intermittent fasting is BASICALLY the same thing with slight adjustments to the rules of how much you have on fasting days/feeding days, and how often you do each.

I personally do a ratio of 4:3, and my fasts are from 5pm to 5pm. The only thing I consume on my fasting "days" is a few cups of tea with semi skimmed milk. I also do weight training on my eating days.

Thanks Hannata,

Do you literally eat what ever you want on your up days or do you still try and stay within 2,000 calories?? You have almost lost 40lbs how long has it taken you??? Can you explain why you fast 5pm to 5pm?
I like to drink two glasses of wine with dinner..I am worried that drinking will have an affect on the weight loss??? Even if I have it on my UP DAYS..

I am torn to do alternative day fasting...or do 5:2.u
If I do 5:2 I will try to stay within 1,500 calories??
I have 3 months to lose around 3 stone so dont want to waste a month trying to figure out what may work best for weightloss... think thats why I have been sooo torn!

Jilly Cornwall I am going to try and eat healthy like you have..I appeciate this is for health too..however my main goal at this time is weight loss..Thanks for you advice!

Miss Nic07 even though you don't count calories you still sound very sensible with how you eat on your up days I am going to remember that!!!

Luv to be slim it sounds like you are doing really well!! Do you eat as much as you want on your up days???

Thanks everyone for your advice!!!xx

ibizasunshine said:
Luv to be slim it sounds like you are doing really well!! Do you eat as much as you want on your up days???

I am one to count pretty much everything I eat even on down days but that has not meant I've stuck to my up day calorie allowance. I would say I have gone over more than I have been on target. And by over I mean I often go over by 500 calories on my up days. I'm still using the figure set when I was 17 lb heavier (2028 on an up and 406 on a down - so on a day when I go over it will be about 2600 calories)... I think if I continue eating that much it will possibly halt my losses so will have to adjust the cals a bit soon with my current weight. I'll also be honest and say quite a bit of my food has been junk type food (crisps, chocolate etc but not every up day), I know it's no good for me and my new years res (I never have new years resolutions) is to eat more healthier with some treats too.

This really is the best plan I've ever followed. I still get to eat without feeling deprived and I have lost weight.

Last edited:
Hi there. Although when Michael Mosley did the 5:2 thing he didn't do it for weight loss that is true, but what they discovered is that weight loss IS a very lovely side effect of fasting for health benefits! He was by no means big and lost over a stone in 5 weeks. There are also now a few 5:2 diet books on amazon (of them his I believe, just search for 5:2 on amazon).

I have followed 5:2 up to this point mostly, and I like to do a whole 24 hours fast from 5pm to 5pm the next day, then have a 500 calorie dinner. Basically I'm saving myself 3000 cal a week by doing this which is less that you need to lose a pound a week and yet I've lost 11 in 9 weeks (I'm sure it would be over a stone if it wasn't for sts throughout dec due to xmas).

So 5:2 does work for some people as a diet, the only way to find out is to give it go! If you find you're not loosing enough or as fast as you would like then you can add in another fasting day. I'm going to do this now by fasting Mon, weds and Fri. However on Fri I will not limit myself to 500 cals I will prop have about 1000. This takes me to a calorie saving of 4000 a week instead of 3000.

Oh and all the things I have read about when you consume the 500 cal (and thats a lot of reading!) have basically found that it makes no difference. The only reason I do a full 24 hour no food fast is because I like to eat in the evening so I'm not going to bed hungry.

Hope that helps!

Louise

Thanks Luv to be Slim and Louise...I started using My Fitness Pal this weekend and it really woke me up to how many calories aday I am actually eating!!! I am going to try to stick to around 1500 calories a day on my UP days and 500 on my down days,,will start with 2 a week but when I can may try to stick 3 days in. How many calories are you eating on your UP days Louise?? Do you bother tracking??

Thanks again ..going to read some diaries now for inspiration!!x

Hi there

I started the 5:2 diet last Wednesday and am finding it quite easy. One thing though - do you have to stick to the same 2 fasting days a week? I've ordered the Michael Mosely book and am waiting for it to arrive. I will weigh myself on Wednesday and see how I've done! Well I hope :) It's great to read how others are doing too, so thanks all for posting.

Hi Elaine, not sure..let me know too when you read the book ..good luck and keep me updated!!xx

On my up days I have anything from 1800 a 'good' day to 2500 on an indulgent day! Usually thats just saturdays though. Be careful that your calorie intake doesnt go too low on your up days, the whole point is that you don't have to do daily restriction with this. My allowance on the juddd website was 2263 a day on an up day so I think I'm ok with what I'm doing. Try not to get hung up too much on calories on up days its bad enough having to count on down days!

Hi there

I started the 5:2 diet last Wednesday and am finding it quite easy. One thing though - do you have to stick to the same 2 fasting days a week? I've ordered the Michael Mosely book and am waiting for it to arrive. I will weigh myself on Wednesday and see how I've done! Well I hope :) It's great to read how others are doing too, so thanks all for posting.

No, any 2 from 7, makes no difference!

Thanks Luv to be Slim and Louise...I started using My Fitness Pal this weekend and it really woke me up to how many calories aday I am actually eating!!! I am going to try to stick to around 1500 calories a day on my UP days and 500 on my down days,,will start with 2 a week but when I can may try to stick 3 days in. How many calories are you eating on your UP days Louise?? Do you bother tracking??

Thanks again ..going to read some diaries now for inspiration!!x

If you google JUDDD you can find Johnstone Up Day Down Day site. You can enter your stats (it's free) and it will give you calorie guidelines for Ups and Downs specific to your height/weight etc. I read the book too, but the website has pretty much all the info you need. I think it will recommend more than 1500 for Up days, for it to work.
Good Luck
G x

Hi Louise,

Just checked the JUDDD and a bit confused what does the restriction tab mean??? what percentenge should I be typing in??

Restriction
20% - Wt Loss Mode25% - Wt Loss Mode30% - Wt Loss Mode35% - Wt Loss Mode40% - Wt Loss/Maintenance Mode45% - Wt Loss/Maintenance Mode50% - Maintenance Mode55% - Maintenance Mode60% - Maintenance Mode

Of I think I have just figured it out...it's how many calories you should be eating so 20% is the best for weightloss is that right????
If so it says that I should only be eating 1596 on a normal day and 319 on a down day..wow thats not much is it?????

Think you mean me?

No the DD can be low (but Johnstone in the book says 500 is still a good DD amount). Also, you should also put in the activity as the one below what you think. So if u put in 'active' should change to 'slightly active'. He says that people always assume they are more active than they actually are-with the exception being extremely active people. If you change that-it may give you more on DD.
I'm sure mine was 430-ish but 500 is still what I aim for (although do manage less some days).

Gill x

Back