Help - eat for general anaesthetic

Weatherqueen

Need help on what to eat and for how long as I need to come out of ketosis for a few days soon, due to an operation.

Anyone else been in the same position and what did you eat ? I have been advised by LL to eat for 48 hours prior and to follow advice of surgeon on how long afterwards, which I hope is only a day or so - anyone with experience of this ?

Thanks folks,
Weatherqueen

Can't help you with this Weatherqueen - just wanted to wish you love and good luck for your op xx

Well, firstly I would speak to your surgeon or GP - but with regards to LL, I would think fish or chicken, and certain veggies? Maybe someone in RTM can offer better advice - but I would definately check with the surgeon as any reaction it may have with the anesthetic is morre important then the diet for the time being.

GOod luck with you op!!

Need help on what to eat and for how long as I need to come out of ketosis for a few days soon, due to an operation.

Anyone else been in the same position and what did you eat ? I have been advised by LL to eat for 48 hours prior and to follow advice of surgeon on how long afterwards, which I hope is only a day or so - anyone with experience of this ?

Thanks folks,
Weatherqueen

Hiya - not sure bout LL but you can't do any CD plans for 3 months after an op.....cos your body needs different mix of nutrients / protein etc to heal.....I would double check with your LL Counsellor or even LL HQ.

good luck with your op.

Debz xx

Last edited:
Ahwwww, thanks for the best wishes guys.
Debz, thanks for the info but as its only keyhole surgery on my knee, I am told its only a short time afterwards. I believe the 3 months is for major or organ surgery. LL HQ gave me the "48 hours before and check ..." advice.
Help - anyone else know anything or have experience ?

Hi Weather quuen, sorry, can't help on this one, but sending good wishes your way xx

I gave blood last year on LL and our counsellor said it was fine, but I felt a bit woozy, so plan is to have a little something next week when I do it again.

hi weather girl ............ waiting for an op next week ........ but i was led to believe that i couldn't ss so have eaten everything in sight !! and feel huge ......... ok so i am !! ................... i equate it to an anorexic having surgery they would be ok ........... good luck with the op xx

This is the week one list for RTM, so I imagine picking stuff from this list will help you with eating but not too far off plan.

This is what you are allowed on week one.

day 1 & 2 choose one portion of protien from this list and you are allowed 1 meal per day

Chicken, skinless
Cottage cheese, plain (choose the
lowest fat options)
Egg whites, hard-boiled
Fish, any: fresh, frozen or canned (in water
or brine)
Quorn, plain
Shellfish, any
Tofu, plain, any
Turkey, skinless

nothing else

from day 3 you are allowed to add

Cabbage, any
Celery
Chicory
Cress, any
Endive
Lettuce, any
Salad leaves, any
Spinach
Watercress

Chilli sauce
Herbal and fruit teas, sugar-free
Herbs, any dried, fresh, frozen or bottled (oil-free)
Lemon juice
Lime juice
Milk, skimmed, for tea and coffee
Mustard
Salad dressing – fat-free or virtually fat-free
Salt and pepper
Soy sauce
Spices, any dried, fresh, frozen or bottled (oil-free)
Sweetener, powdered, for tea and coffee
Tabasco sauce
Vinegar, any
Worcester sauce

On RTM you only have 1 meal per day but you are going to need 3 so you might need to bring in other things. I can always email the first 4 weeks to you if you would like them.
I would have thought your LLC would be able to give more detailed advice on what to eat. Have you asked her? You should be able to telephone or email them and get a reply within 48 hours max but she should reply before then.
I would also check with the hospital what they would normally recommend if anything.
Being in hospital might be more tricky but just do the best you can. Trying to stay away from staples like bread, potatoes, pasta etc, would be a good idea and some places will supply low carb meals, which would be a good choice, generally RTM is low GI/GL which occasionally hospitals cater for.

Thanks for the info Alibongo - how quickly do you come out of ketosis on RTM week 1 ? If its not immediate, I guess I may need to add some carbs to speed this up in the 2 eating-days prior to my op and then drop the carbs and follow RTM Wk1 after it.
My LLC suggested branflakes and milk plus protein, but I wont be in a position to get to the loo in a hurry if the bran "works", so we agreed that probably wasnt the best choice.

Glad you have spoken to your llc about it.
Because we only have one meal per day and 3 packs it will be different for you. I am not sure how soon you would come out of ketosis.
You could go for something like porridge for breakfast
omelettefor lunch with veg in it and maybe some beans
then something like salmon, chicken, mackerel with salad for tea.
Keeping it light, but that would take you out of ketosis I would say. Stick to fruit with yoghurt and veg for snacks.
How long do you need to eat after the op before you can start back on packs?

Thanks for the info Alibongo - how quickly do you come out of ketosis on RTM week 1 ? If its not immediate, I guess I may need to add some carbs to speed this up in the 2 eating-days prior to my op and then drop the carbs and follow RTM Wk1 after it.
My LLC suggested branflakes and milk plus protein, but I wont be in a position to get to the loo in a hurry if the bran "works", so we agreed that probably wasnt the best choice.

Hi Weatherspoon - just thought I would let you know, I had keyhole surgery on both of my knees recently at the same time, and it was a very easy recovery....very little pain, and I was able to move around quite easily, even with both knees done, after about day 2. Was even up and walking about 2 hours after I came out of recovery.

I don't know obviously if you have ever had surgery, or what you are having done, but I just hope if you are nervous, that might take away some of your worry.

I am an old hand at knee surgery. I broke both my knees when I was 19, and it took 7 pretty major ops to repair them over the next 2 years. But I now need them both replaced. but I am (was) a: to fat, and b: too young. So the keyhole ops were to sort of give them a good cleaning about and smoothing out - no cartilege left, so bone is grinding away. Fingers crossed it will have bought me about 4 or 5 years.

Anyway, I hope it goes as good for you too. :) If you have any questions, fire away!

xx

Alibongo - great advice, I will eat what you suggest which will bring me out of ketosis but not throw me off plan too much. I really appreciate your help. I am calling the hospital tomorrow to ask the surgery nurse how long after the op I should wait before going back on packs.

Blond Logic - its so kind to share your knee op experience - wow you have really gone through the mill haven't you? I am having work done on lining damage, floating bits of cartilage and damaged ligaments (surgeon described my knee as "soup"). Not too worried and very encouraged by your comment about quick recovery. Carrying so much weight probably contributed, but I was pretty miffed when consultant said that the cause was onset of arthritis - I tried to get him to record it as a sports injury as arthritis made me feel too old, but he wouldnt. Been told to expect problems sleeping or turning in bed with knee strapped rigid and need to be inventive when getting up/down stairs - will try bottom-skiing perhaps ? Staying at parents for 2-3 days afterwards and thank goodness they have a downstairs loo !!

Alibongo - great advice, I will eat what you suggest which will bring me out of ketosis but not throw me off plan too much. I really appreciate your help. I am calling the hospital tomorrow to ask the surgery nurse how long after the op I should wait before going back on packs.

Blond Logic - its so kind to share your knee op experience - wow you have really gone through the mill haven't you? I am having work done on lining damage, floating bits of cartilage and damaged ligaments (surgeon described my knee as "soup"). Not too worried and very encouraged by your comment about quick recovery. Carrying so much weight probably contributed, but I was pretty miffed when consultant said that the cause was onset of arthritis - I tried to get him to record it as a sports injury as arthritis made me feel too old, but he wouldnt. Been told to expect problems sleeping or turning in bed with knee strapped rigid and need to be inventive when getting up/down stairs - will try bottom-skiing perhaps ? Staying at parents for 2-3 days afterwards and thank goodness they have a downstairs loo !!

Yeah, I did something really stupid when I was young, which I shall be noting on my Stream of Consciousness thread eventualy, as the real cause of my injury is related to weight and low self esteem, believe it or not.

They will teach you how to use stairs, and its a bit awkward at first, but gets much easier! I was not strapped to anything rigid, so I did not have to contend with that, so I found sleeping ok by placing a very soft down pillow either under or between my knees.

My loo is upstairs, and my inlaws dubbed it "Mount Flushmore" as it felt lilke climbing a mountain the first few days!! LOL I was quite prepared to have a bucket downstairs, but never needed it!! hehe

Keep us posted how you get on!!!

Back