Help...what do I wear to a christening?

I would say either a nice maxi dress or perhaps a smart pair of trousers and nice top.

Go with whatever you are going to feel most comfortable in.

There are no rules. Wear something smart and comfortable, with comfy shoes (probably quite a bit of standing). And if you are only going to be wearing it once, try getting something from eBay or a charity shop.

You could also ask the mother of the child what sort of thing she will be wearing, that will give you an idea.

It's obvioulsy a special occasion for the parents & godparents but if I wasn't one of them, I'd simply choose something comfy from my existing wardrobe. .I wouldn't buy anything special - not like a wedding. .Don't know why I differentiate but hey ho. .Also, as well as AnnaFarraday's good point about comfy shoes, it might be a bit difficult to decide what to wear now as you don't know what the weather is going to be doing on the day! .A nice skirt/pants and blouse combo with a jacket or cardi in case it's chilly.

Churches don't have rules, so I agree so smart casual is fine, dress it up with some nice costume jools!

Ask around what kind of things the others are wearing. Personally I'd edge towards something smart. But I tend to have a lot of smart stuff for work I'd also wear for things like this. Some smart black trousers and a blouse should do the job without being too expensive or something like a basic wrap dress?

Also as mentioned it's hard to know what to pick as who knows what the weather will be like on that day, no doubt with the great british weather it'll start sunny and then chuck it down :) I think I'll go with some smart work trousers, a nice top, flats and a cardie so I can take it off and put it back on as needed and some fancy jools to make it that bit more special x

Also as mentioned it's hard to know what to pick as who knows what the weather will be like on that day, no doubt with the great british weather it'll start sunny and then chuck it down :) I think I'll go with some smart work trousers, a nice top, flats and a cardie so I can take it off and put it back on as needed and some fancy jools to make it that bit more special x

That's exactly what I would have chosen x

StarGir1 said:

Sounds perfect!

I hate thinks like this, the first meeting of the relatives! Don't worry I'm sure you'll look fab!

StarGir1 said:
Thanks guys, I am very nervous about it and really wish I didn't have to go but I know it's important so have to bite the bullet so to speak.

I am fine with meeting strangers etc and I am a very friendly chatty person but I am dreading this. His whole family don't really communicate well and are always very formal with each other so I am mostly worried I'll say something wrong as I am quite an open and honest person plus the concerns about turing up looking silly (though thanks to all of you I will be dressed correctly :)) x

Don't worry about it I'm sure it will go fine! I'm sure for all they come across as quite formal they're probably not like that as much in real life! And blokes communicate with their families differently to us women, so you might find they're more sociable towards you.

Back