Help with wedding buffet tomorrow

lucylupin

It is my SILs wedding tomorrow and i have been helping with the buffet all day, the only thing that is SW or even diet friendly is a bowl of salad!
I dont know what i can do, taking my own food will be a really,really big no no.
I might have to take some food to eat while im driving to the reception, but i dont have a lot in and dont have time to go shopping in the morning,
any suggestions please:confused:

what kind of food are they serving?

what kind of food are they serving?

It is sausage rolls, mini sausages, cornish pasty, pork pies, full fat mayo tuna pasta, fried chicken, fried chicken nuggets, cheese sandwiches, mini pizzas, a indian platter and a chinese platter (dont like either of them) etc, you get the idea nothing healthy but a bowl of salad!
puddings are trifle, cheesecakes,gateaux, chocolate cake and wedding cake

Last edited:
Oooh that sounds like a very SW unfriendly buffet!! But I would avoid the pork pies and things in pastry and aim for sarnies on brown bread, perhaps ham or any cold meat, if there are any chicken legs, not in breadcrumbs aim for that. Good luck and enjoy yourself, go flexible and set an aim for the syns and then stick to it, even if it is 100. XX

Oooh that sounds like a very SW unfriendly buffet!! But I would avoid the pork pies and things in pastry and aim for sarnies on brown bread, perhaps ham or any cold meat, if there are any chicken legs, not in breadcrumbs aim for that. Good luck and enjoy yourself, go flexible and set an aim for the syns and then stick to it, even if it is 100. XX

There is no brown bread only white, no cold meat only the ham in sandwiches and no plain chicken legs.
As i was helping to cook it today i was watching what there was and dreading it, but at least i guess that i know what is in everything, so know to advoid the pasta, the other pastry things i would advoid anyway

flexi syn day!! sorry to say it sounds like your only option hun, dont worry about it too much, remember its only one tiny day out of the rest of your life! try and enjoy yourself and just make sure you get straight back on the wagon the next day :) good luck xx

Do you actually have to eat anything at all?

Being a bit hungry just this once won't kill you. And as it is a buffet, no-one will notice.

I had to go to a meeting with a buffet lunch the other day, and it was as SW-unfriendly as the meal you are describing, so I just didn't have anything. I had fizzy water and a slice of lemon and ice, so it looked like a G&T, and just went round chatting to everyone. And yes, I was a bit peckish - but I didn't really care.

And if anyone asked me why I wasn't eating, I just said I had left my plate on the other side of the room!

If it was going to be a short function, waiting till you get home might be an option but given that its a family wedding, and that you have no choice in what is on offer, I would just flexisyn, especially if you are planning to have a drink or two. Its not an everyday occurence.

Hmm, on weddings I've gone to since going vegan I've always taken a cereal bar type thing or some nuts for me to munch on incase I'm not catered for. I know you didn't want to bring your own food but is something small like this an option? I would have a big breakfast before and then sneak away to have my extra bits when no one was looking and I lasted the day quite well.

If you don't want to do that then I suggest having a flexi syn day, stick to lots of the salad, maybe a wee bit of the pasta and a sandwich. It shouldn't be too much if you keep away from the fried stuff and any pastry!

everyone has some really good ideas, if it was me i would eat loads of chopped fruit on the way cut it all up before hand so its easy to eat and drive! then when the devil buffet comes out pick out the best bits you can safely eat and fill up on diet coke (easy cos im not much of a drinker) and then draw a line under it and be really good untill weigh day and you should be fine, i weigh in at home and my weigh day has to be flexi as i work shifts so i can do that as well!
good luck tho! xx

Thanks everyone, im leaving soon so i have taken all your ideas on board, i hope i can get through it :wave_cry:

Back