Help

mcconj

Not interested in attending meetings of local Slimming World so signed up for online but I cannot make sense of the daily diary or how to organise a weekly menu. I have been doing it for a week but I haven't a clue. Am I just stupid? Can anyone help?

I'm signed up online too.

I think the food diary is easy to use once you get used to it.

First off choose what type of day you're having (Red Green ExtraEasy),
this then gives you the correct number of Healthy Extas you should be having.

You then add your free food from the drop down lists on the Free Food tab - if it's not there add it as a syn or type it in the manually add section, Heathly Extras from the drop down lists on Heathly Extra tab and Syns on the Syn tab using the search functions.

For my weekly menus I haven't used the ones online, I just look through my receipe books decide what I want to eat on what day taking into consideration what I'm doing and where I'll be, make sure I haven't duplicated Healthy Extras (ie if I'm having breaded fish for dinner I don't have a sandwich for lunch I'll either have pasta salad or jacket potato) and then see how many syns I have left for treats and fill up on fruit and free yoghurts where necessary. If I haven't used my Heathly Extras I generally fit in a cheese sandwich or Alpen Light and glass of milk.

Hope this helps and I haven't just confused you further.

I do it online too. I also don't use the weekly menus other than for ideas of what to try cooking.

However I don't find the online food diary particularly helpful because of the way it's set out. So if I'm going to keep a food diary (which is actually very helpful even though I'm reluctant to do it sometimes !!), I tend to print one out and write it down. It's a bit easier to see what I've eaten there rather than just lists of ingredients.

Anyway, good luck and keep us posted. Feel free to ask if you have any other questions. I'm often lurking here or on the Sunday weighers thread !!!

Gail x

Thanks Gail
I had given up on the slimming world diary and started recording details on excel because I agree it is very useful. I know I will get used to the diet but at the moment I am struggling. This is why I have used the online weekly diet but I am not sure about next week?

Why don't you try reading some people's food diaries here as well as the recipe threads. That will give you some ideas about planning a menu. I think there are some printable food diaries online which I find useful. Are you doing extra easy ?

I am happy to help if I can, just ask.

Gail x

Thanks again Gail
That's just what I did today. There are some great tips on this site. I also spent a bit more time trying to get the hang of the online food diary and I am a bit more confident. I am not on any particular diet at the moment. It is just a one week menu listed on the site and even then I am just tweaking it about a bit. It may be red, green or extra easy. There would appear to be enough info on this site to keep me right so it is bound to get easier.
Many Thanks
John

Hi John,

I suspect it will be extra easy. That's what slimming world and the groups mostly promote although here I think the balance is a bit more mixed. I have no doubt that things will get easier. Just keep rereading whatever you have available (books/online) until you feel more confident about plan everything that you possibly can (shopping, meals etc). It really helps (although I tend to leave most of my syns for 'what I fancy' at the time).

Hope all is still going well.

Gail x

Thanks for coming back to me Gail.
I don't know about anyone else starting off for the first time with Slimming World but I seem to be spending a lot of time reading the information about the various diets with SW but making very slow progress. At the moment I am struggling from day to day. Not with the diet ( because I can eat all the stuff that I want ) but I suspect I am eating food on Red that should be green etc. I have pulled out 3 different weekly menus from the Slimming World site and I will start them on Monday 19th Jan. That will take me in to Feb and by then I, hopefully, will have got the hang of it. Once again, thanks for coming back to me. I will let you know how I get on in Feb.
John

Hi John,

I would suggest for now, picking either extra easy, red or green depending on your personal preference and sticking to it. I have seen lots of posts from people here asking about which plan has the fastest losses and the answer is, any of them. I have seen good losses from all plans here. Extra easy is probably the easiest (and for me the most like 'normal' eating) because you have can have pretty much any meal you like with a bit of tweaking but if you choose the one that you like the look of most, you are more likely to stick to it and therefore be successful.

Why not post a food diary (even if it's an 'advance' food diary of what you would like to eat) for a day and ask people to comment on it. That might help ?

I promise you it will get easier. I rarely look at my books/online stuff unless it's to look up syns or to reread from time to time.

Good luck.

Gail x

Hi Gail
I think I'll hang on in there until Monday when I start the first of my 3 one week diets. At least one of them is Extra Easy so I'll get a clearer picture of my preferences. Many Thanks
John

Any time. You know where we are !

Good luck.

Gail x

Back