Hi all! New here & to orlistat

Sezi

Hi guys

I'm 31 years old & was prescribed orlistat on Thursday. Took the tablets with dinner on Thursday and lunch and dinner on Friday. Haven't taken any since as I was out of town yesterday and didn't want to risk the side effects on a long car journey.

I had my baby girl in April last year and gained a lot of weight during pregnany. I then discovered I had gallstones and lost some weight as I wasn't able to eat much without pain worse than labour pains! After 6 months of waiting for surgery, my gallbladder was removed November 2012 with open surgery. I spent a lot of time unable to really move about so I gained a lot of weight again after surgery and here I am at 84kg. Depressed, unhappy and stressed. I also have fluoxetine (Prozac) from my doc to help lift the depression.

On Friday I found it very easy to stick to the 5g rule, I had a baked potato (no butter) and baked beans and a LF yogurt.

I am really hoping this turns a corner for me.

Does anyone know how no gallbladder will impact orlistat? I've read that it "contradicts" it, but not how.

Thanks guys! Hope you're all having a happy and healthy weekend.

Hello and welcome! How much are you hoping to lose? I've been on Orlistat for nearly two years now with no problems, so I can recommend it in general. I don't know about the gallbladder thing though, but I am interested to see you mention it, because I've just been diagnosed with gallstones and am going for an appointment at the surgical unit at the hospital next month and hope to get on the waiting list for removal. Could I ask why you had to have open sugery rather than keyhole, which I understand is the norm nowadays? I must admit I've been wondering whether I should still be taking the Orlistat, whether it's bad for gallstones in any way - must do a bit of research, lol. Anyway, just wanted to wish you all the best. :) xx

Re: Hi all! New here & to orlistat

Hi there! No idea re the gallstones either but just wanted to say hi and good luck! Ive done every damn diet going previously. ..always struggled. Ive never lost more than a stone or stayed on a diet for more than 3 weeks without falling off. ... I'm now just under 5 weeks in and 19lbs down and am loving it! No sign of falling off just yet! :--) wishing you lots of luck@ enjoy! X

Hello and welcome! How much are you hoping to lose? I've been on Orlistat for nearly two years now with no problems, so I can recommend it in general. I don't know about the gallbladder thing though, but I am interested to see you mention it, because I've just been diagnosed with gallstones and am going for an appointment at the surgical unit at the hospital next month and hope to get on the waiting list for removal. Could I ask why you had to have open sugery rather than keyhole, which I understand is the norm nowadays? I must admit I've been wondering whether I should still be taking the Orlistat, whether it's bad for gallstones in any way - must do a bit of research, lol. Anyway, just wanted to wish you all the best. :) xx
Mine was supposed to be keyhole, they started keyhole but had to convert to open on the operating table and I only found out when I came round in recovery.

The surgeon said it was years worth of damage and each time my gallbladder had become inflamed, it had become sticky and my stomach had got stuck to it! He had to get his hands in to separate everything. Gross!

I had three large stones and a very thick gallbladder.

So I have 4 scars all together, the three keyhole ones, and the main incision. My bikini wearing days are over ... (Haha joke!)

I feel LOADS better, digestion wise, though. No pain or gallbladder attacks or excruciating heart burn.

I can PM you a photo of the stones and my removed gallbladder if you want, I spent months googling that sort of thing so was really curious as to what mine would look like.

As for how much I'd like to loose, I guess ideally I'd like to be about 55-60 kg. I have always either been too thin or too big, I can't ever seem to have a healthy happy medium when it comes to food & weight.

Sezi said:
I can PM you a photo of the stones and my removed gallbladder if you want, I spent months googling that sort of thing so was really curious as to what mine would look like.

As for how much I'd like to loose, I guess ideally I'd like to be about 55-60 kg. I have always either been too thin or too big, I can't ever seem to have a healthy happy medium when it comes to food & weight.

Ha, yes, I'd be interested to see that! Not sure if you can send PMs yet though, until you have more posts, but try by all means. :)

I've lost 120lbs so far, which I'm pleased with. What is your starting weight? :) xx

Hi, Im new to Xenical as well, well done Tracey, and good luck Sezi. Tracey any tips you can give, so far I have had no side effects, Im following slimming world as well, which my doctor said would be fine.

Thank you both! I suppose my main tip is to be persistent - keep the end goal in mind but don't stress too much if you take little detours along the way, just make sure you get back on the right road straight away. I think that's been the difference for me this time - I've had days off where I've eaten badly (all planned in advance!), but whereas before I'd always just carry on being "naughty", now I just get back on it. I think the tablets have definitely helped with that, especially if I've had a day where I've thought I might struggle, like at Christmas - I had my three planned days of pigging out, then got up the next day and took one of the pills straight away, first thing. Because believe me, you don't want to stray too far off the straight and narrow once you've had one, lol. :) xx

TracyGWill said:

I did a bit of a Google, and this is one thing I did find:

http://www.worstpills.org/public/page.cfm?op_id=71

Hmm, maybe I should stop taking them now in case it makes the gallstones worse? I don't think seeing something like this would have stopped me from taking them in the first place, maybe I've just been unlucky, lol. :) xx

Sezi said:
Hi guys

I'm 31 years old & was prescribed orlistat on Thursday. Took the tablets with dinner on Thursday and lunch and dinner on Friday. Haven't taken any since as I was out of town yesterday and didn't want to risk the side effects on a long car journey.

I had my baby girl in April last year and gained a lot of weight during pregnany. I then discovered I had gallstones and lost some weight as I wasn't able to eat much without pain worse than labour pains! After 6 months of waiting for surgery, my gallbladder was removed November 2012 with open surgery. I spent a lot of time unable to really move about so I gained a lot of weight again after surgery and here I am at 84kg. Depressed, unhappy and stressed. I also have fluoxetine (Prozac) from my doc to help lift the depression.

On Friday I found it very easy to stick to the 5g rule, I had a baked potato (no butter) and baked beans and a LF yogurt.

I am really hoping this turns a corner for me.

Does anyone know how no gallbladder will impact orlistat? I've read that it "contradicts" it, but not how.

Thanks guys! Hope you're all having a happy and healthy weekend.

I've done a bot more research, and there does seem to be a lot of stuff saying not to take Orlistat if you have no gallbladder, but not sure how official it is. I've stopped taking it for now. :) xx

Back