Hi all

I would love your help on this please. How exactly does orlistat work if u cant eat sweets n chocs from time to time n when. Doesnt sugar turn into fat? Does orlistat only work when excess fat or just the right amount of fat. What about if too much carbs bread etc?

does orlistat only work on a strict diet? Then why would one need orlistat for that?

thanks all. Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi

I’m not sure we have any members active at the moment who use orlistat. Hopefully if anyone is and reads this they will chip in.

Orlistat, as far as I am aware, prevents a proportion of the fat you eat from being digested so it passes straight through your digestive system. It doesn’t work on carbohydrates or sugars because they are not in the form of fat when they enter your digestive system.

Orlistat is not a miracle slimming pill (if only one of those existed!) and it doesn’t work/isn’t suitable for everyone. The idea is that you are committed to losing weight and following a low fat diet - I’ve read some of the diaries in the orlistat section for you and several mention a maximum of 45g of fat per day. Orlistat then prevents some of this fat being digested which helps you lose more weight than you would have done without taking it. There are very well known side effects, as I mentioned to you in a previous post the tango effect seems to be the worst of them. The side effects seem to increase when more far is eaten.

As you have posted several times on here and up to now no-one is properly able to answer your questions I would advise you to speak to your doctor or a pharmacist. If a doctor is prescribing these for you they will explain everything to you or refer you to a nutritionist who can properly go through everything for you.

Back