Hi everyone!

Twiggie

Hi everyone! :wavey:

I've been lurking on the forum for a couple of weeks and finally plucked up the courage to join as you all seem such a friendly and supportive bunch :family2:

I'll tell you a bit about myself and why I am here ...

I'm 42 and (single) mother of 3 adult/teenage sons. I've had weight issues for most of my life, as many people do, which have ranged from one extreme (7st) to another (18+st) over the years. I'm currently at the larger end of the scale and the heaviest I've ever been at 18st 5lb.

I've gained 3st since November last year due to a combination of giving up smoking and the medication I take for Bipolar Disorder. I also have type 2 Diabetes and prescribed Metformin, when I remember to take it!

It's this recent weight gain that prompted me to start thinking about surgical options, gastric banding in particular, as I have now lost all confidence again in going out anywhere and participating in cycling, swimming and walking which is something I used to enjoy doing several times a week. Lack of exercise and over-eating (meds increase appetite) are stopping me from being able to lose any weight on my own.

I spoke to my GP a couple of weeks ago and he is willing to refer me for surgery so the process has started and I'm now at the start of a very long journey! :cross:

I look forward to meeting and getting to know some of you! :553:

Hi and welcome. Good luck with your surgical options. May I suggest you post in the surgical weight loss section as there is much experience in there

Irene xx

Thanks Irene, I'm going to pop over there now :)

Back