Hi guys, please help me!

Littleslimmingbee

Gold Member
Hello everybody :)

You might recognise me from other areas of the forum but i'm a sw girlie. Im currently at target (plus a few little pesky lbs lol) and have been maintaining my weight for a year,

However im a little curious of ww, after a few of my fellow sw'ers have come over to shift the last few lbs, and for a change etc.

I love and very much enjoy sw and i owe alot to sw- after all i have my life back. However i'v been doing sw 2years+ now, and just feel like i'd like to give WW a go just to shake things up a bit.. i really want a change, somthing new to focus on!

I was hoping there might be a way to try it at home, but alas i cannot access any information or guide menu's on the website and despite buying a mag i just could not get my head round it- mainly because i am obviously not familiar with all the weightwatchers lingo!

I know on the sw board we have a sticky listening the sw plans and explaining it all to newbies who cannot afford or want to go to classes- is there anything simalar over this way or are any of you willing to show me the way??

Many thanks in advance xxx

Last edited:
Hi, Ill try and help you if I can... Im still a newbie to WW.

Congratulations on your amazing loss, and getting to target, thats incredable

I do WW from home, I have subscribed to the website for 3 months where i use the online tracker and I also use the messageboards on there. You can also work out how many points each item of food is worth, if you dont have a points calculator. Thats really the only benefit from doing it online.

You have a set amount of 'points' a day. you can find out how many points by doing a short quiz, i think theres a sticky on here about how to work out the points. After this, you can eat what you want, when you want aslong as you stay within your points allowance. Thats it really...
You earn Activity Points for doing exercise, so you can eat more if you 'spend' your activity points youve earnt.

I hope ive been able to help you somhow? xx

If you get a points calculator from somewhere then yep, you can do it from home easily. :)

get a calculator from online, as in the online on there are links about on here leading to them, all you need to do is put the cals and sat fat in and it tells you the points values, also if you go to the points section it will explain to you in a sticky at the top of the page how to work out how many points your allowed, good luck x

Youll get the calculator on ebay and I think the books are all half price on the WW site just now.

Theres no harm in trying something new. I LOVE WW, I feel about it the way you do SW but saying that Im starting Exante on Thurs.... sometimes passionate though we are about 'our' diet we do need to have a change, however temporary it is.

you dont exactly need a calculator you just need to know your points allowance :) you can google just about anything to get the points values or use the online calculators, there is also a website called lady luck uk and its full or all the eating out points values.... if you send me on a pm ...your height, age bracket, weight, and the kind of job you do i will work your points allowance out for you........and if you need help dont hesitate to ask :) xxxx (coming from an ex slimming world girl)

All I use is the calculator and the WW Shop book and you can get those off eBay.

Being an ex SW myself I can understand the need for change. Saying that I can't ever imagine going back to SW.

Good Luck!

I would be really cheeky and go to a WW meeting with free registration vouchers etc, get the pack stay for the meeting and then never go back unless you wanted to. Speaking to a leader may clear up some of the confusion as well and you can also pick up a calculator! They have a sale on at the minute so thats a bonus :D

If it doesnt work you can always flog everything on ebay for a ridiculous amount because there are people who want it!

Trial and error like everything else, it wont hurt you to try something new because you can always switch back :D

Hi Fern

I agree, a change is good, I lost my weight with ww, then did sw for a while, then nothing. Back to ww now, as I am too afraid to get on the scales, but def feel bloated!!!

Anyway, ww is dead simple when you get your head around it. I find it much easier than sw *personally*. Altho theres loads I love about sw - I wish they could merge the best bits of each plan into one!!!!! The main thing I begrudge with ww is having to weigh everything, and pointing fruit!!!! But I love how NO food is barred, so long as you point it. For exampl, I love to have the odd bagel, but on sw I couldn't have any as my consultant told me to stick to no more than 10 syns a day since I was already a healthy weight, and a bagel was like 15 syns or so I think. But they are between 2.5-3.5 points, so totally doable on ww.

I would advise you to get the packs tbh, either by attending one meeting or ebay. You will need to get your head around the concept of filling foods, or you may well be hungry. I suspect you will find that you will continue to eat very similar to how you do now - the sw 'free foods' tend to all be ww 'filling foods'. This basically means if you base most of your eating around these foods, you shouldn't be hungry. So you may decide to keep eating like you do now, but you will need to weigh or measure your portions, or buy pre-portioned items, eg cheese (babybel etc), yoghurts, bread items, cereal bars, tins of soup, etc. Eventually you will be able to judge some things like potatoes, but personally I still do weigh most things.

You will need to plan out your meals, either detailed meal planning or allocate a set number of points to each meal, eg I normally stick to 3 for brekkie, 2 for mid morning snack, 5 for lunch, 7 for dinner and 2 for eve munchies. This way you won't 'run out' of points by accident.

Also, you will be able to eat more points if you excercise - theres a chart that converts your excercise into points, which you may choose to eat if you wish, or you can just save them to boost your losses.

I personally like points - I like that theres a limit to how much I am allowed to eat, otherwise I can't stop!!!!!

I am sure you know the free foods - non-starchy veg (all except sweetcorn, peas, parsnips, potatoes), sugar free jelly, egg WHITES only, stock cubes, etc.

You are prob used to eating alpen lights - they are 1 point. Mullers are 1-1.5 each.

You could try the week plan in the mag, if you fancy the look of it, or try recipes off here.

Please please ask away, I am more than happy to help, tho I don't get on here much.

Nicola

Oo this thread is so useful :D I'm currently on SW and i do like it as a diet, but i really can't stomach any more fruit or FF yogurt as a snack. So i looked at WW and decided it was worth a try as i'm ready for a change. I'm quite willing to eat less if i can eat what i like (within points ofc :) ) and i'm hoping WW will teach me some portion control. (Also to have a white bread sandwich for lunch without the syns going over a days..... /drool)

Anyway, all i basically wanted to say was thanks for this thread all, it's been very helpful :)

Zombiecakes, couldn't hurt to give it a whirl, a change is good now and again!!! Theres def huge benefits with both sw and ww, they are both fab but just suit people in different ways.

Thank you. I'm definitely going to. I can't stick at SW anymore, but i'm quite happy to continue dieting, so am on calorie counting until my WW stuff arrives :)

Back