Hi, new to minimins and a Slimming World restarter :)

kaynnate19

Hiya,

As the title says I'm new to minimins and a I'm a SW restarter (3rd time :s) its taken me a while to get the courage up to post so, here it goes...

I'm a mummy to a 5 year old little boy, I put all my weight on while I was pregnant and I then developed a severe fatty liver no doubt due to my weight (before getting pregnant I was one of those lucky people who could eat what i wanted when I wanted and how I wanted and never put on any weight, my mum even banned me from exercising because I would loose too much weight) but as I said this all changed when I got pregnant due to having undetected gestational diabetes (found out at 38 weeks) when I was in hospital and comfort and binge eating due to traumatic events that happened. This has then carried on since, I then found out I had PCOS, insulin resistance and endometriosis, I also have arthritis and bipolar. So quite a long list and none of these problems were well controlled so exercising and eating properly and trying to control my binges were difficult to say the least, however the endometriosis is now (touch wood) is better controlled and the pcos is getting there as is the insulin resistance again (touch wood) although all of this is ongoing and my back is much better since having injections into my spinal joints. Im still struggling with the binges (does anyone have any tips that has helped them?) I do now feel like I'm in a better place to get slim, I've lost 10lb since January 2012 (this was with ww) but I think partly because of my health probs and definitely because of my binges this has made my weight go up and down and I end up loosing the same 4-5lbs over and over again.

Sorry for the life story :eek:, is there anyone else out there with similar problems or anyone that has any advice? It would be very much appreciated:).

Thanks for reading x

Hi, no real advice but didn't want to read and run!
I think you have made a great decision to come back, Only this week at group a lady said she had just been diagnosed with a variety of health problems including diabetes, high cholesterol and joint problems amongst a list of others and there were so many others who were offering reassurance who've have similar health issues that have improved or even disappeared since starting sw.
I think the main benefit is how it teaches healthy eating habits that will be with you forever, not just a quick fix to lose weight.
I hope you find it helps you too, good luck with your journey and welcome to minimins :) xx

Thank you for replying:) , your right sw does teach you to have good eating habits, I like the fact that theres so many choices and the freedom you get. I'm doing ee and the combinations of meals are endless, I'm just learning to expolore with food because I tend to eat the same foods.

Hi there. What a rough time you have had and you have still managed to lose 10lbs. I think that's been a great achievement. As far as binges go, lots of people find that if they plan their meals well and make sure to eat all their syns and 1/3 superfree it should help to fill you up. Not sure what your triggers are for bingeing but keeping a really honest diary of what you eat and how you feel before, during and after a binge can help you find patterns. Sometimes there aren't any but most people do tend to find that mood, boredom and habits are the main things. So trying to make sure you plan around these times may help. Others suggest having a syn box that you prepare which has low syn snacks to reach for when things get tough. At least with these you won't reach for the other stuff first of all. I do find if I am really struggling there are some things that help and are substitutions for other things eg options hot choc, frozen fruit (takes longer to eat than ordinary) mugshots instead of crisps which are way more satisfying but still hit the savoury spot. Other people put a sachet of options into a pot of quark or low fat fromage frais and use it as a dip for fruit. Lasts ages and is only 2 syns. Things like melon which are really filling but superfree. There are lots of things to substitute but also a good idea to think clearly about why you want to lose weight so joining one of the target threads can be helpful. Finally come back here and post as there are usually plenty of folk who've been there and even if there isn't an answer there will always be someone who can just give a bit of encouragement. Good luck :)

Just wanted to wish you luck.
i have PCOS too, so I know how hard it makes it to shift weight.
If I feel a binge coming on, I try to do something else to avoid it, like exercise (my wii fit is a lifesaver as I have an almost 5yr old too!), or take my son out for a walk, or even have a bath.

Thank you for your replies, help and encouragement I really appreciate it as you can probably tell I dont have any confidence in myself. Peacelily I will definitely look at the target threads thank you. x

Hello,
I'm new to minimins too and am restarting SW for the third time (restarted yesterday after going to group on Tues night). I have a daughter who is nearly 3 and too have struggled with insulin resistance since developing gestational diabetes- although I was lucky that mine was detected at 24 weeks pregnant. Can't believe what youve been through and still managed to lose 10lb! That is wonderful. Wishing you the best of luck, we can do this!!

Marshflower thank you for what you have said. It does make it so much harder and frustrating having PCOS and/or insulin resistance anyway let alone when your trying to loose weight. Ive tried ww twice, rc once and sw now 3 times so ive been around the block with the major diet plans lol. Not having any confidence in myself...but we can do it! ;)

p.s. peacelily where would i find the target threads? ive done a search but cant find much x

Hi there. It's difficult on my phone to post links but it's called "what's your next goal" and it's right at the top of my to read list at the mo. also I have joined the Tuesday weighers thread (as I weigh in a Tuesday) and the 2.5 stones to lose thread. If you look around there will be things that are relevant to you but I have found such a lot if support in the different threads I have subscribed to. Sorry not very specific. :)

I found it yay! :) thank you, and I have subscribed to the Wednesday wi too (which is my wi day) thanks again x

Back