Hmmm i fancy a kebab

princessnicky

Had my dinner and im still hungry! Really want a kebab but my book says they are high syns. But when i did sw years ago my consultant said they were syn free. So i ate about 2 large ones a week and still lost alot of weight! Hmmm what to do?

Resist! Is there anything else in the house you can have???
How many syns is a kebab? Maybe if the craving is too bad you could share it with someone, and have loads of salad? x

Just found this:
Just one doner kebab contains your entire day's calorie allowance

By Sean Poulter
Last updated at 1:16 AM on 28th January 2009
  • It is fair to say that most people ordering one are not overly concerned with making sound nutritional choices.
And that might be just as well, for a survey yesterday revealed the grim truth about the sky-high fat content of many kebabs.
A particularly large and greasy specimen can contain 2000 calories.

Read more: Just one doner kebab contains your entire day's calorie allowance | Mail Online

If you look in the book there not bad Synwise on a red day
Large chicken Donner 12-5 Syns just dont eat the pitta

I regularly have a large chicken shish kebab with loads of salad and the extra light mayo. Feels so naughty but on a red day its low in syns (excluding pitta obviously).
In the book, doner meat isn't too bad either, but just not been brave enough to try it yet! That really would feel naughty, but so nice ;-)

It does rather depend what you mean by a kebab.

For me, a kebab is meat or fish or prawns, with vegetables, on a skewer, and grilled. That would be free.

If you mean those things that go round and round, and they carve bits off it, well who knows what is in them? Difficult to guess what the syns might be.

If you mean those things that go round and round, and they carve bits off it, well who knows what is in them? Difficult to guess what the syns might be.
since watching a program on these things being made im put right off im sure better stuff goes in my dogs food

It does rather depend what you mean by a kebab.

For me, a kebab is meat or fish or prawns, with vegetables, on a skewer, and grilled. That would be free.

The Syns are in the back of the book its not so difficult

The Syns are in the back of the book its not so difficult

All I could see was Lamb Kebabs under Greek Restaurants, and I thought they would be what I would call a "proper" kebab, and not one of those revolving things. But maybe I am wrong.

You could make your own kebabs.

Ingredients:

½ pound of minced lamb (use extra lean)
½ pound of minced beef (use extra lean)
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon, black pepper
2 teaspoons, wholemeal flour (3 syns per tbsp)
¼ teaspoon, cayenne pepper
½ teaspoon, garlic powder
½ teaspoon, onion powder
1 teaspoon, dried oregano
½ teaspoon, dried mixed herbs

Making your own kebabs is now quite straight forward, simply:

Add together the two minced meats.
Add together all the dry ingredients.
Now mix all the ingredients together, making sure it's all mixed up well.
Shape the meat/herbs mix into a "loaf" shape. You'll get the best results if you make this as compact as possible, so it's better to shape this like a traditional loaf of bread. Place the block of meat mix onto a baking tray; the objective here is to get the outside nicely browned, but the centre will still be moist and not dry.
Bake it in the middle of a preheated oven at 340°F (175°C, Gas Mark 4) for an hour and 20 minutes. Turn your kebab meatloaf once or twice during cooking, to ensure it browns evenly.
When it's cooked, you need to slice it as thinly as possible

I know Doner is high in syns, but Shish kebab should be syn free on original days, just dont have the pitta (or syn it) and use lemon juice on the meat. that's what I do when I fancy a kebab. I get chicken or lamb shish (or both).

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] If you fancy a doner kebab then no reason not to have one. Leave the pitta or switch it all to an Asda one for HeB, fill with salad and a low syn sauce and you're still within syns for the day.:)

Basic/Non Branded Foods
Lamb, doner kebab, meat only, average large kebab
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
12½ Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 12½ Syns
green.gif
Green 24½ Syns
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Basic/Non Branded Foods Lamb, doner kebab, meat only, average 28g
[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
extraeasy.gif
2½ Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 2½ Syns
green.gif
Green 5½ Syns
[/FONT]

Back