Hollandaise Style Sauce for Fish - 0 Syns

judywoody

I went to Tesco the other day and in the "sell by"- section they had quite a lot of fish from the fresh fish counter. So I managed to grab a huge salmon filet for only 1.69 £ (reduced from 6.50£ !!!!).

Being on SW I thought I should go for a red day because even after I cut it in half it was still huge!

I just always struggle with sauces on SW and my hubby likes to just put a knob of butter on his and I did not want to use my syns for butter.

So I was thinking about a sauce I could use for my salmon but all I could find in my SW saucy secrets book was solely made of quark, fromage fraise or tomato based. But I wanted it creamier and less sour. So I made up my own recipe which does contain yogurt but it is a lot creamier because I am using eggs to thicken it rather than flour.

I remembered it from making sauce hollandaise and I thought this is THE perfect solution for a creamy syn free sauce without the full-on sour taste of fat free yogurt or quark.

I think next time I'll even try it with blended cottage cheese as this is even creamier :) It takes a bit longer and for anyone who ever made Sauce Hollandaise from scratch knows, that some people need a bit of practicing (well, just being able to stir continuously and adjust the heat at the same time)

Ok here we go:

2 eggs
white pepper
salt
lemon juice (depending on taste)
a few tbs fat free yogurt (or blended cottage cheese)
dill

Beat the eggs as much as possible so that they are properly fluidy - you may add a wee bit of warm water (but only a tiny bit). Pour it into a soup bowl or deep dish and put the dish on a sauce pan with water (the dish must be big enough to fit on to the pan). Heat the water (once it boils turn down the heat a bit). Beat the eggs continously so that they go lighter and then start to add the lemon juice (how much, is up to your own taste). Keep on stirring and add the yogurt or cottage cheese. Carry on stirring until the sauce gets thicker and then add dill and season well. Make sure the egg doesn't curdle. Take the bowl off the pan and taste - if it's too thick add a bit of water.

It is a really nice and creamy sauce and tastes fantastic with fish.

Hope you like it!

Yes, I know the search on this forum is not that great. Try to search for "cheese sauce" with the quotation marks as it should search for both words in this case.

Thanks for this!!! It can be syn free if you use yoghut as HexA right? I've just had poached eggs and I LOVE hollandaise on them but went without because of all the butter thats in it normally, so this is a real find. Thank you

Back