Home Movie Night Munchies

Debfairy

HIya, i am new to the forum, having just returned to SW 6 months after the birth of my 2nd child. I have 2 stone to loose and hope to do it by including the whole family in healthy eating and exercise.

We have a regular family movie night (once a week) and usually have lots of munchies while we watch a couple of films. Obviously now we are back on SW, the regualr munchies of crisps, chocolate sweets, crackers and cheese etc are out of the window.. i know i can use syns for this but im one of these ppl that i cant just take a little and then leave it alone.. i have to have the lot............. hence this post...

Cany anyone suggest other muchies we could have for movie night snacks, that wouldnt make us feel we are missing out, but would not be so calorific lol Any advice much appreicated.

Debs x

We have a Friday movie night every week, the kids and my Wife have a big bowl of salted and a big bowl of sweet popcorn which is all stupidly high in syns. I found a recipe on here for crispy kale and it's really easy.

This has been a life saver for me, you get a lovely, fried seaweed taste, the only problem is the kids have started asking for it!

1 Bag of curly kale (ready chopped)
Salt
Granulated sweetener
Frylight

Put the oven on high.

Spread the kale over a frylighted baking tray, remove any stalks, sprinkle with salt and place in the middle of the hot oven.

Check every few mins and when the outer ones start to go brown move them to the middle and put the greener ones to the outside, you can also just take out the done bits as you go along.

Place in a bowl, sprinkle a bit more salt and approx 1 tbsp of granulated sweetener, you can add more or less depending on taste.

Hey hun! There are lots of things you can have which feel like a real treat, whilst staying within your Syns allowance. These are the kind of things I'd go for:

- 5 Syn Pizzas: Use a Weight Watchers Tortilla Wrap as a base (5 Syns), and top with chopped tomatoes/pasatta/tomato puree, any meat/vegetables you like and a healthy extra of grated cheese/mozarella. Voi la, the perfect low Syn pizza!

- Potato Wedges: I just chop up a handful of potatoes, place in a bowl and spray with FryLight. I then add some Aromat or Chilli/Garlic flakes to give the wedges a bit of flavour, shake around a bit and place on a baking tray. Some people boil them first, but I just whack them straight in the oven.

- Cereal Bars: There are lots of different cereal bars which count as a Healthy Extra B choice. I'd save my B choice for movie time and have either a Peanut HiFi or a Dark Chocolate Kellogg's Fibre Plus bar (both feel like you're being really really naughty, but they're actually 100% on plan!). Of course, you could have any you like, as long as they are classed under the Healthy B choices, otherwise they'd have to be Synned. Alpen Light bars are pretty lown in Syns, at just 3 Syns each!

- Velvet Crunch: A great alternative to crisps! They come in 3 different flavours (sweet chilli, cheddar & onion and salt & vinegar) and are just 4 Syns per bag - bargain!

- Chocolate: I love chocolate and tend to treat myself at the weekend, staying within my Syns allowance though. I usually go for a Freddo (5 Syns) or a Curly Wurly (6 Syns). To make your chocolate last even longer, pop it in the freezer for a few minutes - it'll take ages to eat, especially if you just suck on it.

Hopefully some of these ideas might help you. I'm sure lots of other people will have some great ideas for you too! Good luck :)

Make up some syn free dips, lots of ideas if you search on this forum. for instance quark with garlic puree and herbs, hummus etc. Lots of strips of veg. Huge bowl of grapes and a large curly wurly. You can have a feast then.

Princess Stevie.. its as if you know me.... your suggestions are fab for me, they are exactly what i wld go for...... i tend to like a " buffet" of sweet and salty stuff when im watching a movie.... i must look out for velvet crunch, i havent seen them anywhere.

Grizzly Man, i will be sure to try the crispy kale.... that sounds like something that i would like, esp as i could make tons of it. Thank you for this suggestion.

Toddles, you have just inspired me, id never have thought of making quark into a dip.. and my fave dip is garlic and herb...... a bag of velvet crunch and the dip you suggested,,, thats me sorted for my crisp addiction lol x

You're very welcome hun! Pleased you found the suggestions useful. Tesco usually have Velvet Crunch in. However, if you have a Poundland/world near you, keep an eye out in there too as they often have them in! Enjoy xx

You can get Velvet Crunch from Poundland if you have one of those near you. Thats the only place I have seen them apart from one time in morrisons

Grizzly_man said:
We have a Friday movie night every week, the kids and my Wife have a big bowl of salted and a big bowl of sweet popcorn which is all stupidly high in syns. I found a recipe on here for crispy kale and it's really easy.

This has been a life saver for me, you get a lovely, fried seaweed taste, the only problem is the kids have started asking for it!

1 Bag of curly kale (ready chopped)
Salt
Granulated sweetener
Frylight

Put the oven on high.

Spread the kale over a frylighted baking tray, remove any stalks, sprinkle with salt and place in the middle of the hot oven.

Check every few mins and when the outer ones start to go brown move them to the middle and put the greener ones to the outside, you can also just take out the done bits as you go along.

Place in a bowl, sprinkle a bit more salt and approx 1 tbsp of granulated sweetener, you can add more or less depending on taste.

Tried it - need to get the salt ratio right but i am a doing that again its just like crispy seaweed! Thank you!

Tried it - need to get the salt ratio right but i am a doing that again its just like crispy seaweed! Thank you!

It took me a few goes but I just whack loads of both on now, jiggle it around and whack a load more on lol, not that healthy with all that salt I'm sure but it is only once a week :)

- 5 Syn Pizzas: Use a Weight Watchers Tortilla Wrap as a base (5 Syns), and top with chopped tomatoes/pasatta/tomato puree, any meat/vegetables you like and a healthy extra of grated cheese/mozarella. Voi la, the perfect low Syn pizza!

This sounds great. How long do you cook it for and what temperature?

Thanks

Back