Hoping for a better result this week

abigail09

Gold Member
Feeling like I need to have a little vent, I have been to target and regained more than I lost over the past 4 years, not totally terrible, I weighed in at one point at 12stone and now I am down to 11stone1lb, my goal is 9stone7lb. I have been back to group now this is week 4. First week I had a moderate 1.5lb loss, great, if I could do that every week I will be at target before summer next year, the next week both my boyfriend and I (who is doing slimming world with me) lost an UNBELIEVABLE 6 lb each on our second weigh in and got joint slimmer of the week. Last weigh in week 3 he has continued to loose and I know he doesn't stick to it anywhere near as religiously as I do. My syns are always within 5-15 (apart from 2 nights over the past 4 weeks) whereas he drinks beers most days and shrugs it off. At the last weigh in I GAINED 2 lb, I was really upset about it, like super super annoyed because on the Sunday night we had been to a birthday party and I managed to keep my syns to 25 and pulled it back the rest of the week so at the end of the week I was within 70. Now I am getting really quite anxious about weighing in on Thursday, I am really hoping for a loss but I don't feel like I have changed at all. I have had a hard week as we are living on only my wage alone and have been moving around form my Mam's to my Dad's house as we have only just moved to the UK from Australia. Has anyone else had a big gain when they have been sticking to plan? I feel so disheartened and out of control when I did the same thing that I had done the week before the only difference was that one night when I had a slice of slimming world cheese cake my sister made and some rum and diet cokes, I don't feel like that should equate to 2 lb.

I know I have to keep things in context, I have lost 5.5lb in 3 weeks and that's great, but I am just starting to get more and more anxious about weighing in and gaining again as even though I haven't had many syns this week I have haven't been able to eat a lot of super free as we haven't had a lot of money to buy fruit and veg so have been living more on potatoes and beans and weetabix and milk for hex b and hex a… does anyone have any advice on super free when were on a tight budget?

I can relate to your situation. I've been yoyoing for about 6 weeks and I put on a pound last night despite being great for 5 days. I had been to a morning group last week and went back to my evening group last night but usually I can lose 6lbs one week then 1lb the next so I was really expecting a good result.

I'm a vegetarian and on a budget so I get tins of carrots for 20p and iceland mixed veg for 89p. I buy fresh potatoes, peppers and onions but everything else is tinned and I eat well. It's easier to do Slimming World on a budget if you don't eat meat because meat is SO expensive these days!!! Thankfully I mainly use quorn which is mostly free and much cheaper :)

Don't compare your losses with anyone else's. Especially not a man! Life is very unfair and it is SO much easier for a man to lose weight, and there is nothing we can do about that.

You do need the superfree. Yes, fruit is expensive, but vegetables not so much so, especially if you shop around. Lidl and Aldi are good, and most supermarkets have special offers on some vegetables. I bought a huge bag of carrots the other day in Waitrose for 50p

You don't have to eat fruit. Vegetables are better value and better for you.

I buy fruit in bulk and keep it in the fridge. With the exception of bananas, they will tend to last longer this way. Apples last for ages!

I also buy a melon (£1 for a basic one in the supermarket) every week and cut it into 4 portions which I keep in the fridge in sealed containers, handy to take into work with me.

Also you can buy a massive pack of frozen summerfruit in any supermarket, it can be a bit tart, but it is nice mixed with yogurt (you may need to add sweetener)

"I have lost 5.5lb in 3 weeks"

This is what you need to focus on. Your losses are bang on track and are actually at the higher end of healthy weight loss which is between 1 - 2 lbs per week. Don't get too hung up on the scales as there are so many factors that can give you a shonky result - maybe you had a salty meal the day before and were retaining water, maybe your period is due, maybe you're ovulating, maybe you needed a big poo, maybe you didn't get enough sleep, maybe you were stressed...did you know stress releases a hormone that impedes weight loss on the scales?

I love SW, I really, really do and it is the healthiest option out there as far as I'm concerned, but the weekly weigh ins can be so counter-productive IMO - I mean, I do it, I weigh every week and sometimes I get a great loss and sometimes I get a crappy one, and sometimes I get a gain and it's not always "justified" but the point is that my weight is trending downwards and I know damn well that if I wasn't doing it it would be trending up towards the ceiling!

Getting your superfree in is important though and trying to do that on a budget can be tricky. Apart from the other good suggestions you've been given already I'd like to suggest frozen vegetables which are pretty cheap. The other thing you can do is get to the supermarket later in the day when they are starting to reduce their stuff that's going over for the next day. I quite often pick up bags of salad and fruit for half the original price.

Back