How can i get Determination and willpower to lose weight?

NewYearxNewMe

I kind of know what to do to lose weight but the problem with me is actually doing it any advice? thanks.. :(:break_diet:

I can't help you about your situation, however I've got a scheme that works for me: lose weight for the next 4 days. If I've lost weight since the last time I saw a film (which I see weekly), bought coffee (weekly) from the supermarket, or gone swimming (again, weekly) then I can do that thing again. If I haven't lost weight, then I can't. It's worked so far, 4 1/2 months of continuous weight loss, the longest period in the last 10 years (and I am the ultimate yo-yo dieter).

Personally, I think you should try to develop a system where you don't need willpower and determination, because based on my own experience (gained and lost over 100kg over the last 15 years in little bits here and there) they can't be relied upon.

Part of my determination has come from a future event (my graduation) where I know there will be loads of photos taken of me :S

Willpower comes from some stubbornness - wanting to prove people wrong! No-one really expects me to succeed.

I've also made a bet with a friend who wants to lose weight too - who ever has lost the least weight by July 1st (shortly before graduation) has to buy the winner a bottle of champaign!
We're both on totally different diets with different approaches, and he thinks my way cannot work because I won't be able to stick to it long term - I think his was is too passive and he can't learn to eat healthier foods through it, so we are being a little competitive about it.

Like tarotwoman, in the past a binge meant the end of the diet. I'm calorie counting at the moment, and haven't banned any foods, although I do have an idea of foods I want to eat and want to learn to avoid as much as possible. Being able to eat what I want, plus learning not to feel guilty if I do have a little of something bad (which would then trigger me to eat more b/coz of the guilt!) also helped me a lot!

Figure out what has made you quit in the past, and find a way to avoid that happening again as much as you can!

I think it's something that you need to really want to do. I've known I've needed to lose weight for a good 6 years, I've wanted to too but never got round to doing it properly. This time I'm determined and I'm actually doing it.

I got teased at school about my weight when I was younger and it hadn't bothered me at all, took it on the chin and got on with it. It never upset me or made me question myself. However just before Christmas just gone a comment was made by some yob in a group as I walked past "Look, he's got bigger tits than my girlfriend" and that's what set me off! It wasn't a new comment, I'd heard it plenty of times growing up, as well as far worse comments, but this time it got me. It's motivated me so far to lose 17lb but I'm really determined to get down to a healthy weight this time.

thats true john you have to programme those feelings and thoughts into your mind to make you even more determined to actually do something about it . yea when you are younger you can take it on the chin more you know what its like when your a kid kids can be cruel the best of times when it comes to name calling , but you dont need that kind of grief of people while out in the street giving you verbal abuse that is well out of order its going to hurt your feelings big time
and shatter your confidence everytime you go out in public . you sound like you are really motivated to lose weight good luck .

Throughout my time dieting I have realised one thing; You wont loose weight unless you really want to. You wont get the motivation or drive to loose it for anybody else except yourself. It will only work if you want to do it for you.

Set realistic small goals - like eat two pieces of fruit a day for a week, or walk a mile a day for a week and build up on it. Start gradual and increase.

Good luck with your journey :)

three days to go now before my willpower will be severly tested im getting my self well focused now already for monday when i start my diet im , i have already done this before in the past and i weakend after 3 months i do not intend to give in this time at any expense i know its going to be really hard and i have to be 100% focused so that my willpower wont slip,

Hi
A good way I've found to keep the motivation is going is for every 1lb you loose, put a £1 in a jar. Then when you get to target or loose enough to need to buy new clothes, you've already got the money - it's also a visual thing - as you see your glass jar grow bigger with more money, the more you've lost and the better you feel. Likewise, if the unthinkable happens and you put a 1lb on, take a £1 out of the jar....for me it makes me more determined to loose weight the following week.
Hope this helps with your motivation....
xx

I've made a list of reasons to lose weight in my blog. Everytime I am tempted by food, I read my list and I can walk away with a smile on my face. Have you got something to work towards? A party, wedding or something? Nothing feels as good as stepping on those scales and seeing a result!! x x

Hi
A good way I've found to keep the motivation is going is for every 1lb you loose, put a £1 in a jar. Then when you get to target or loose enough to need to buy new clothes, you've already got the money - it's also a visual thing - as you see your glass jar grow bigger with more money, the more you've lost and the better you feel. Likewise, if the unthinkable happens and you put a 1lb on, take a £1 out of the jar....for me it makes me more determined to loose weight the following week.
Hope this helps with your motivation....
xx
that sounds like a really good idea , it certainly would get you motivated new wardrobe coming in near future = retail therapy lol:D

In my opinion it's all to do with getting your head in the right place...it really is true 'Bring your head inside and your body will follow' try reading these posts. I also think exercise is a great motivator, if I dont get up early and go to the gym or take dogs for a walk, I feel tired and lathargic all day can't be bothered by the afternoon and find i'm more likely to eat 'comfort' foods. Wheras when i'm excercising more I feel energetic, up beat, and healthy because I eat better....

Good luck x

I just don't give myself a choice. I am on the diet so I am on it. There is no choice.

It does make things easier!

The other thing I do is just keeping going. If I do slip (which I don't often due to the no choice thing) then I just get straight back on the wagon.

Lastly I dealt with the issues that made me fat in the first place. I am NOT going back.

i have started back at the gym this week
as i have started my diet also aswell ,
so im maintain my willpower doing these to things will keep me well and truly focused and i wont let the willpower slip .

Hi
Pleased you like the jar idea. It really helps me. The bigger the jar the better!! I also find working with a friend helps. I'm not into going to slimming clubs and all that, but sometimes, when you are having a bad day a friend who's going through the same thing can be helpful. That way you can lean on each other. Then when you both need to buy new clothes you can go together and make a real day of it. Obviously you don't have to spend the money on clothes, treat yourselves to a spa day or whatever takes your fancy....I always think that if there is light at the end of the tunnel and you know what you'll get if your 'good' that makes dieting sooo much easier. By the way I'm doing Go Lower, this is my second week, and so far so good. Lost 5lbs last week, (£5.00 in jar - felt great!) weighing myself later....fingers crossed.
xx

yea i think its a great idea,im not one for going to slimming clubs either i prefer to go to the gym and go on diet at the same time aswell.well done on losing 5lbs last week & £5.00 in the jar aswell good luck with the weigh in later .

Back