How can I get SW chips to brown?

slimming world chips

To get slimming World chips to brown beautifully, you must first cu
t your chips into equal sizes, then thoroughly rinse the chips to remove all the starch, then make sure they are completely dry, next light oven gas mark 6/7, Line a flat baking tin with foil, spray the tin with Frylight, place chips on pan and shake to coat them with oil, you may need to spray 1/2 way through cooking, check chips after 20mins, turn them over and spray again, back into oven for a further 15/20 mins> Take out & enjoy.:break_diet:

I never par boil mine, think it makes all the difference when it comes to dry crisp chips! I now have an actifry they are perfect in there!

I've had anaemic chips when I've tried cooking loads of them and there's no room on the tray for the hot air to circulate. Solved this, not by cooking fewer chips (naturally!), but by using both shelves and two trays. :)

Love how we can have a thread on a slimming site, talking about Chips!! I do love SW chips but the parboiling was getting annoying. Gonna have some today and not parboil, see how they turn out :)

I always parboil mine but it would be interesting to see how they turn out without parboiling. Letsgetlosing, could you please let us know how they come out. Also do you season with salt before cooking? I made some yesterday and added sea salt after but felt like I had to put more salt on them so didn't really enjoy them. :(

will let you know. :)

Try not to sprinkle anything on them. I used to sprinkle stuff on them but the never crisper up as much. I tried it once with just frylight and a good 30-40 mins in oven on high and they crisper up a treat.

I cooked Maris piper potatoes on sat night. I didn't boil them first just peeled the pots, sprayed oven tray with fry light placed chips on tray with a gap between them then sprayed again put a bit of salt and pepper on then in oven at about 180-200 for about 25-30 mins. I do open oven but don't really do anything to them. They came out nice and brown with a fluffy inside.

Hope yours turn out nice too :)

The only time mine dont cook is if theyre overboiled and soggy or if I put too many on a tray.

If you do parboil dont give them longer than 5-8 min and dont fill the tray up, leave plenty of space between them. Use two or more trays if necessary.

Also do you have a fan oven? I expect it could be really hard to get them very crispy if you dont.

I sometimes micro them rather than parboil... cause I'm lazy like that!

Thank you all for your fantastic suggestions - and I am glad to know I'm not theonly SW chip failure too ;)

I've decided to admit defeat and buy a Tefal Actifry after reading various threads extolling thier virtues on here.

I have a bottled gas oven as we are out in the sticks and only have electric on the mains (and it's too expensive to run a leccy oven/hob!). The oven just doesn't seem to be able to cope with roasting fat-free chips/spuds or veg. It was fine where we lived before as we had a gas hob and fan assisted electric oven and I managed perfectly well then........

Ho-hum :sigh:

I don't bother with chips any more, I just wedge them, give them a quick boil and then stick in the oven with some salt, paprika and chilli powder on. Always come out crisp and they're very nice dipped in mayo! :D

I added some steak seasoning to mine at the weekend - as well ss part boiling first. My most successful yet - werent at all aneamic this time!

Maris pipers chip and rinse off- pat dry and then put in my Phillips Airfryer for 20 mins! Sorry I am a huge cheater!!!! Xxx

i have just bought a philips airfryer today as i can never get my slimming world chips to cook right in the oven.

carnt wait to try it tonight

i always put my oven on before i peel and cut my spuds (hottest temp) i use any potatoes (normally the cheapest i can get lol) par boil them for about 8 mins, drain, put on a baking tray covered in foil and loads of fry light, sprinkle paprika all over them (makes no difference to taste) and sometimes mixed herbs and cook for about half hour turning half way through

I had the same prob but bought a thing from the pound shop... Bit like a cake cooling tray ie loads of holes in it - now they crisp up really nicely hth?

Angela2107 said:
I had the same prob but bought a thing from the pound shop... Bit like a cake cooling tray ie loads of holes in it - now they crisp up really nicely hth?

A chip mesh that's what I have xx

Back