How can I thicken stews/casseroles?

I used green lentils and it turned my soup into a stew! So would recommend those. Trying vegetable scotch broth mix tonight. Hope it's free!

I like using lentils but you really need to have planned them along with the rest of the ingredients so they're all cooked. For a quick & effective 'rescue' I also use cous cous.

I just scoop out the excess liquid at the end and reduce it in a frying pan until its a few teaspoons (very concentrated flavour), then tip back into the pot and stir.

This may be weird, but I melt a bread in a hot water. Pour it at the start before it simmers so the bread won't taste at all. This never fails me. :p

Try Arrowroot, 1 tsp = 1syn and will thicken nicely. Just put 1tsp in a small cup/dish, mix with just enough cold water, about 1 tbsp, mix well and add to whatever you want to thicken, the sauce remains clear and doesn't taste like flour.

Hi everyone, I love making casseroles in my slow cooker, but struggle with thickening them up - I am a novice at the slow cooker thing - can anyone give me any advice please? I have used gravy granules (pre-SW), and smash granules but doesn't seem to work - how does anyone else thicken theirs up please? :)

I've always used instant mash, it seems to work for me

Back