How did you choose your PAT?

~Lucky~

I've just started SW on Wednesday and was thinking about what I want my target to be. I'm a bit worried about choosing the wrong figure incase it's totally wrong and I end up paying the fees to keep going to class when my 'target' is pretty much unachievable and I still plan to attend even after reaching target.

I would love to get down to 8st (i'm a shortie so that's still in the healthy weight range albeit towards the low end). I was this weight when I was in school and I think it suited my frame, however i'm not a school girl anymore and i've had 2 kids so i'm not sure whether this would actually be realistic or attainable. Otherwise I would be happy to be 9st. Bang in the middle of the healthy range and probably the weight I settled at throughout Uni. Although at 9st I always felt that I could do with losing a few pounds (but not so much that I actually got off my bum to do anything about it so it couldnt've bothered me too much!)

So, when deciding on your PAT did you think about when you felt you looked the best or did you look for the healthy weight? Can you change your PAT if it looks like you overestimated or underestimated?

Thanks!

I simply checked what would be the highest weight I could be and still be in the healthy BMI range :D

This works out at 11st 10lbs, and the lightest I've ever been as an adult is 12st 10lbs, so I suspect my PAT is a pipe dream, but maybe I'll be happy at 12st something and reset my PAT.

I did virtually the same thing, although I remember the time when I was 10stone 10 when I met my Hubby - I was 15! I had lost 4 and a half stone through SW then...ever since been way up above that!
So my goal is 10 stone.

I did the same thing as Scanbran ..... Just worked out the highest weight I could be and still be within the healthy BMI range (24.9 !!)

:hijack: By the way Scanbran, I loved the fact that under your name (instead of Mr Greedy) it used to say 'Regular Member'. PMSL every time I read it !!! :D :p

My goal is 10 st 7lbs as it is slap bang in the middle of the healthy weight for me. I haven't been that weight since my late teens, if then, (memory is failing with age!!!) so I may well end up adjusting it nearer the time.

You don't have to set a target weight yet if you don't want to. I haven't.

Obviously I will have to eventually, but that time is a long way away yet, and I want to wait to see how I feel as I get closer to a sensible weight.

If you want to leave it for a while, and see how you feel later, then that's fine.

I think I didn't help myself last time on SW by not setting a goal weight - I just wanted to see where I would get to. Well it got me a 2 st gain after a 4st loss so here I am again! :wave_cry:

This time, I just want to be realistic about a goal, so I'm going for top end BMI (slightly over actually) and I have 6 'mini' goals along the way. I know now I'm someone who *needs* a goal. It feels more 'secure' to have a goal this time - I know what I'm doing and where I want to be. :)

My first PAT I've set is my Club 10 at 11 stone 2.5lb which my consultant suggested. Like you I'm a shorty but even shorter at 5" exactly & I was 8 stone 4lb when I got married but it's now nearly 11 years later & I've had 2 kids so I'm not sure if I'd ever get back to that. So after my club 10 my next PAT will be at 10 stone 9 stone & I'll see how I feel from there.

You don't have to set yourself a final PAT straight away, just maybe put your first one as your Club 10 then take it from there.

Good luck xx

I wouldn't stress about setting a PAT in the first few weeks - just sit back and enjoy the start of the journey for now.

I'd love to be able to "stick it" to the NHS, etc, and get down to a healthy BMI weight - but that would mean going down to about 12st. That isn't going to happen - I'm already worried that I may be getting too thin after looking at some recent photos.

At first, I thought I'd just like to be in the 'healthy' BMI range so thought I would go for 11.5 stones - the top end. Then, as it neared, I decided I'd like to go for 11 stones so that I'd have a few lbs grace if I put any on and would still be 'healthy'.... 2 weeks ago I got to target, with a weight of 10 stones 13.5lbs, so just under, which is fab! However, on Wednesday at WI, I'd lost another 2lbs!:D I'm now thinking of resetting my target to 10.5 stones, which is the lightest I've been in a good few years, but still very achievable and healthy for me.

Don't worry too much about it yet - just see how it goes. You can change it at any time :)

Back