how did you know it was time....

FatGirlSlim81

to lose weight? what made you finally make the decision to start?

For me it was several things
1) the local takeaways all knew me by voice on the phone :rolleyes:
2) if i bent over my bum would knock things over
3)seeing photos of me in eurodisney in august looking bigger than the characters dressed up in padded costumes

This is a hard time of year to be dieting or eating sensibly so maye this thread will make you remember why your here?

The main reasons were:

I was getting ready for a night out and everything was too tight or made me look fat and I just broke down and sobbed.

I was fed up of my size dictating where I could shop. I hated trying on clothes and having to discard everything because I looked big.

My boyfriend would tell me I looked good and sexy but I couldn't understand why and I hated what looked back at me in the mirror.

Great Idea of a thread, well i can actually remember exactly why im here. In my previous life (4 years ago) i was so so HAPPY, i loved my life, i was a Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer, with a guy i was mad about.. fast forward 4 years, 15st.11lb, very unhappy, depressed, dont go out, single since that guy, and this year my two sisters both had babies..

The trigger i needed, i wasnt at all jealous, i love my nieces so so much, they definetly make life better, but i realised im 25, fat and single.. i will never meet a guy and have a family and be as happy as them..
So, a few weeks later, i saw a poster for a new class SW starting in town.. me and my sister decided to go, i nearly backed out, but we went..

10 weeks, 32lbs, 2 dress sizes, and i go to the gym 4-5 times a week..

I am looking and feeling amazing, and i have never cheated because i dont want to lose this great feeling i have!
I even have a date next week, which tbh scares the hell out of me, i still see myself as a whale, sure i still have 2.5st until goal, but apprently this hot guy likes me the way i am (hes prob a wierdo in that case lol) and he wants to go out??? The old me is re-emerging, im a little bruised and battered from 4 years of self abuse and hatred for myself, but week by week, the bruises are clearing up, and the real me is emerging!

I could write a list of the times ive thought this would be the last time BUT this is the last time im strating this is it and if this doesnt work nothing will -

My 4 year old boy starting singing ive got a fatty mummy topped off with him crying at me to stop eating crisps or i will pop! Funny but heartbreaking, my name is doing this for me but also, doing it for my boy :(

Great Idea of a thread, well i can actually remember exactly why im here. In my previous life (4 years ago) i was so so HAPPY, i loved my life, i was a Fitness Instructor/Personal Trainer, with a guy i was mad about.. fast forward 4 years, 15st.11lb, very unhappy, depressed, dont go out, single since that guy, and this year my two sisters both had babies..

The trigger i needed, i wasnt at all jealous, i love my nieces so so much, they definetly make life better, but i realised im 25, fat and single.. i will never meet a guy and have a family and be as happy as them..
So, a few weeks later, i saw a poster for a new class SW starting in town.. me and my sister decided to go, i nearly backed out, but we went..

I am looking and feeling amazing, and i have never cheated because i dont want to lose this great feeling i have!
I even have a date next week, which tbh scares the hell out of me, i still see myself as a whale, sure i still have 2.5st until goal, but apprently this hot guy likes me the way i am (hes prob a wierdo in that case lol) and he wants to go out??? The old me is re-emerging, im a little bruised and battered from 4 years of self abuse and hatred for myself, but week by week, the bruises are clearing up, and the real me is emerging!

That is really inspirational, thanks.

You are a beautiful person, that's why he wants to go out with you! xxx

Wonderful post, good on you xxxxx

Oh I am sick to death of people saying "you're soooo pretty, if you only lost some weight"....
Erm, you're soooo ugly, but at least you're thin!! LMAO!!!!

For me it was:

* Hating seeing what the scales said.
* Not liking the size of clothes I was buying.
* The fact that half my wardrobe didn't fit anymore.
* Getting way too puffed out walking up a hill.
* And that I'd like to get pregnant and know the weight could be detrimental. Also didn't want to start at the weight I was and put even more on!

for me it was a combination of things,while on hols with the girls ,i handwashed the trousers i had been wearing and i nearly died when i put them on the line,they were enormous ,also coming home on the plane the seatbelt only barely fitted
that was 5 weeks ago im now down 19 lb since then ,i know its not a lot but im on the way and i will NEVER be that size again

I'd been trying to lose weight since my youngest son was born. Signed up to WW, worked for a bit, went to Rosemary Conley, hated the exercise and constantly feeling hungry. Then last Christmas, I had a few nights out and I hated what I saw in the photos. Before this, I could find ways of posing to not look fat, but not this set. Knowing that people had joined SW and had lost, gave me the kick up the bum I needed. I went on my own and I think that I seriously wanted to do it this time. I'm almost 2 stone lighter now, and 2 dress sizes smaller. It's taking a while, but you know, I'm not piling it back on like I did before or given up etc etc.

For me i hadnt been happy with myself for a while but kept blaming my pcos and underactive thiroid for the weight gain but realised enough was enough and was given the kick up the backside by my best mate who asked me to go along with her to join. I also felt frumpy in most of my clothes which were becoming tight, i always said when my size 10's got tight id diet and had let myself get to my 12's being tight and hardly closing again so knew i had to get back to a ten to feel happier and alot more confident. That was 12 weigh in's ago and around 14 weeks ago and despite only losing 12.5 lbs thats alot for me to do myself last time i had to lose weight i struggled for three years before they realised i had an underactive thiroid which is borderline and then under etc so is not being treated with thiroxine yet and PCOS and they helped me lost 3 1/2 stone in 5 months which gradually two crept back on! Im determined this time i will get there and keep it off :)

I had hated myself for such a long time and one morning I got up and that was it, the day. I have no idea why but am so grateful it happened.

I am now at target and so happy. I doubt I will every let myself get like that again.

to lose weight? what made you finally make the decision to start?

For me it was several things
1) the local takeaways all knew me by voice on the phone :rolleyes:
2) if i bent over my bum would knock things over
3)seeing photos of me in eurodisney in august looking bigger than the characters dressed up in padded costumes

This is a hard time of year to be dieting or eating sensibly so maye this thread will make you remember why your here?
Ha! The first two seems like you are talking about me! My bf used to ring up the pizza place & they knew our address straight off & used to say hello in the street :eek: I fear they may have gone out of business since i started slimming world!
As for knocking things over with my bum, this was ALWAYS happening that & if i knocked into anyone they would go flying- litrally flying!
Anyway here's my list

1. Pizza place knew us by name, face & address
2. I knock over things & people with my bum
3. Only 2 pairs of trousers & one top used to fit me :( in my wardrobe.
4. so unfit, it's embarassing :eek:
5. Being the 'funny' one when i'm out with friends
6.Feeling tired all the time.
7. going to the doctor to ask for gastric banding- I really don't want to resort to surgery :rolleyes:
8. Like someone else mentioned- hanging trousers up on the line & looking like you have just hung up a parachute!

mine is i was at a waterpark in spain and the life guard , pointed to my fat belly and said erm baby? i shook my head and went down slide, got to the bottom and cried for an hour. hurt so bad cos the last 10 months all i have wanted is a baby

I just had enough of being fat!!! I didnt want to set a bad example to my two children and I certainly dont want them to end up like me!!! So a definate change was needed ... oh and the Disney and Bahamas holiday booked for next August helped too!!! x

Hiya, my motivation/reason was that I had my abbie in April 09 and had gained 4 stone. I had made a promise to myself that when I was to go back to work 9 months later I would return as the same weight before I fell pregnant.

And.....I did lol

Now I'm pregnant so my new motivation is to keep my weight down and have max gain of 2 stone x

Last edited:
My motivation was my son, although if I had been truly honest with myself I had been depressed when buying clothes and always looking like the side of a house in trendy stuff :(
My turning point was when my then 13 year old son asked me to start dieting with him as he was a bit chubby and was being bullied at school. When I agreed and first got on the scales (having not been weighed for years) I nearly died, as I am such a shorty.
Although I am getting close to target, it is still a struggle and will continue to be so, I would imagine, to remain at target for the rest of my life.

Michelle

Back