How do I get back at a nasty neighbour!?

minilady

Gold Member
Anyone got any ideas of how to repay my nasty neighbour, which won't end up in me being arrested;) I'll explain what's happened.....

I am sooooo angry:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I have 4 gorgeous cats which I love and adore, unfortunately my neighbour dosen't feel the same! He's lived next door for about 18months now and never speaks or even acknowledges us (or anyone else in the neighborhood). About 2 months ago he put up some straw stuff, the stuff you can buy on a roll from a garden centre, along the top of our adjoining fence. I've heard him lots of times shouting at the cats and realised this straw was put up as a deterent for them to go and poo all in his flowerbeds. I fully understand how frustrating this must be for someone who dosen't have pets of their own, I wouldn't like to be weeding the pansy beds and end up with a handful of cat poo! However, the straw barricade has failed and the cats have been clambering over it (they tell me he has great soil;)) So his latest ploy is to sharpen the thicker bits of straw and run a length of chicken wire along, which has been cut so that the sharp points of wire are sticking out of the top of the straw:eek::mad::eek::mad:. I was fuffing furious!!! so took out the wire and stood on his doorstep whacking the wire against the palm of my hand. Anyway, he didn't come to the door, his car was in the drive and his windows were open so I know he knew I was there. I shouted that he was a cat maiming coward and went back to my house. I have since calmed down enough not to want to go back and garrot him with his wire. I've phoned the RSPCA and lodged a complaint against him, they told me it was against the law for him to have done this, and would be looking into the situation. I've kept the wire and I said I was going to go out and cut the straw level but they've told me to leave it as this is evidence (dosen't help my cats if they get impailed though:mad:).

I know I've done the right thing and am being childish trying to think up revenge tactics, but would love to hear your ideas, as hopefully it'll make me laugh and ease the stress a bit:)

Tracey
x

to be honest...i hate my neighbours cats in my garden as i have young kids so what i do is sprinkle pepper around here and there. i think its one thing to dislike cats but something entirely different to try to kill them. what a nasty bit of work he sounds!! if he wanted to deter them he would have made the barbed wire apparent but to hide it shows he wants to teach them a lesson, not deter them and thats absolutely disgusting.

im suprised at RSPCA but i guess they have to stick to laws they didnt create. not sure what i would do in ur shoes. maybe just wait and see what his next step is.

xxx

to be honest...i hate my neighbours cats in my garden as i have young kids so what i do is sprinkle pepper around here and there. i think its one thing to dislike cats but something entirely different to try to kill them. what a nasty bit of work he sounds!! if he wanted to deter them he would have made the barbed wire apparent but to hide it shows he wants to teach them a lesson, not deter them and thats absolutely disgusting.

You're right, if I didn't have pets and someones cats were fowling in my garden, I'd be a bit fed up. If he had come to me and told me of the problem personally, then I would have told him to throw water at them, they'd hate that, but it wouldn't harm them! But to intentionally try to harm them is another matter.

im suprised at RSPCA but i guess they have to stick to laws they didnt create. not sure what i would do in ur shoes. maybe just wait and see what his next step is.

xxx

RSPCA were very good and are going to deal with it. I just wanted to vent my anger, and things always feel better if you've written them down. I'd still like to get some revenge tactis though;) Hubby suggested cat poo on his door handles...typical of a bloke to think of that:rolleyes::D

Tracey
x

That is not on.......I say to my neighbours if they dont want my cats in there garden to spray them with water out of a spray bottle, this way they dont get hurt ......just a shock.

If people want to keep cats away from flower beds the best way is to put down orange/lemon peel as cats hate the citrus smell.

I'd be fuming too Tracey - what he has done is so cruel. If a person hurt themselves on it, they could sue him.

Is it worth contacting the local council, or police even ... because people shouldn't be allowed to go around putting wire on it that can maim people or animals.

Actually I would have stuck some of the metal into the seat of his car so when he sat on it it would have hurt a wee bit ....lol

OMG ~ that is terrible and as the RSPCA have pointed out it is in fact illegal. If he does something similar, before the RSPCA act then make sure you take some pics, so you have proof ~ use a digital camera with a date & time stamp (if you have one).

As for revenge ~ gotta say I'm with you on that ~ would have shoved the chicken wire through his letterbox. But as you say it is evidence. What a complete a**e that man is ~ deserves a good slap.

Hope your cats are ok though, sending hugs from my cats to yours :hug99:

use a digital camera with a date & time stamp (if you have one).

:D Hi, i have two cats and i`m also a police officer, make a diary of all the events that happen to your cats, digital photography is inadmisable in court as it can be manipulated on a computer, ( Thats why we still use instamatics) i dont recommend any retaliation as it may be you getting into trouble for criminal damage or trespass.

I love that!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D Thankyou so much, it's really made me laugh, thinking stink bombs in his letter box could be the answer;):D

If people want to keep cats away from flower beds the best way is to put down orange/lemon peel as cats hate the citrus smell.

I'd be fuming too Tracey - what he has done is so cruel. If a person hurt themselves on it, they could sue him.

Is it worth contacting the local council, or police even ... because people shouldn't be allowed to go around putting wire on it that can maim people or animals.

I didn't think to ask if I should have contacted the police! I'll see what happens with regard the RSPCA and also if he does anything else. We're away soon, luckily my mother-in-law has said she'll have the cats for me while we're away.

Actually I would have stuck some of the metal into the seat of his car so when he sat on it it would have hurt a wee bit ....lol[/quote

LOL!!! I like that too!!!!!!

OMG ~ that is terrible and as the RSPCA have pointed out it is in fact illegal. If he does something similar, before the RSPCA act then make sure you take some pics, so you have proof ~ use a digital camera with a date & time stamp (if you have one).

As for revenge ~ gotta say I'm with you on that ~ would have shoved the chicken wire through his letterbox. But as you say it is evidence. What a complete a**e that man is ~ deserves a good slap.

Hope your cats are ok though, sending hugs from my cats to yours :hug99:

Thank you, I'm actually quite glad he didn't answer the door now, as I don't know what I'd have done! One of my cats last year was ripped to pieces by 2 dogs on a lead, just up the road from me, someone saw it happen, the guy who had hold of the leads just let them play tug of war with my poor cat!!! The person who witnessed it shouted out of the window and by the time he got outside the bloke and the dogs were gone. We never found out who it was:sigh: Needless to say this is still upsetting to me, so probably explains why I'm so disgusted at my nextdoor neighbour.

use a digital camera with a date & time stamp (if you have one).

:D Hi, i have two cats and i`m also a police officer, make a diary of all the events that happen to your cats, digital photography is inadmisable in court as it can be manipulated on a computer, ( Thats why we still use instamatics) i dont recommend any retaliation as it may be you getting into trouble for criminal damage or trespass.

EEEk Allan promise I'll be good:innocent0001:

As your a policeman yourself, do you know whether I should go to the police or not about this? Or should I just leave it in the hands of the RSPCA?

P.S.

If I can't control my woman scorned bit and do take out a teeny act of revenge, I promise it won't be illegal, or at least I promise not to get caught!!;)

Thanks everyone for your replies, I do feel a lot calmer now, I was shaking with anger and frustration earlier, but I knew you'd cheer me up. Off to invest in some Liquid Ass:D:D:D

Tracey
x

Is it worth getting him a water pistol and explaining that you understand how annoyed he is about them going in his garden but please just spray water at them to scare them off ? Plus maybe give him some of the safe items to deter cats and explain what to do with them - citrus & pepper for example ?

That way you might be able to resolve it (assuming the deterents work) and he'll feel you understand his point of view and want to help (through gritted teeth mind you, but the cat's safety is the most important thing).

Although he sounds a nasty piece of work even to think of doing that to cats :mad:

He's not cheating wefare is he or doin anything else you can report him for ??;)

OMG !
I cant believe someone would be so evil!

Your poor kitty cats or anyone elses cats that happens to wander into his garden could be seriously hurt :(

not wanting them in his garden is one thing but to put something up to stop them that he knows can cause them harm is another!

I hope the RSPCA prosecute him for intent to harm an animal!

Thanks everyone for your replies:):)

I have some good news...the situation has now been resolved, without any animals or neighbours being harmed!!!:D

I got up this morning to find more wire all over the top of the fence and at intervals down his side of the fence:mad: I phoned RSPCA again, who told me that it wasn't their job to make him take it down unless it had actually done any harm to my moggies! They advised me to contact police to see if they could help.

Phoned police and within 10 minutes a beat officer was at my door:) He explained that he couldn't actually make him take it down and said that if any cats were harmed he could then be prosecuted through RSPCA. As you can imagine I was not a happy bunny. However, he went on to say how he could understand why I was so upset and that he would have a word with neighbour. He came back and told me how neighbour would be happy to talk to me about the problem!!! Funny how he hadn't approached me before and didn't answer his door last night:rolleyes:

Went round to see neighbour and explained how upset I was that firstly he hadn't told me of the problems he was having and that he had taken it upon himself to boobytrap the whole fence. He apologised and said he was so fed up of the cats in the area using his garden as a litter tray. I said that I would start to use a litter tray in my conservatory for the cats to see if this would help and also I'd put a communal one up on the garage roof at the end of the garden for all the cats in the area to use!!! As he'd stated other cats nipped onto our garage to get to his flower beds!

In return he said he would remove all the dangerous wire:D:D:D So I nipped up Tesco and stocked up on litter and a couple of trays, and in return he has taken down all the wire:D:D:D:D

Harmony has resumed, I just hope the cats use the litter trays provided!

Tracey
x

thank god!! well done. would have been awful that something bad would have to happen to one if the cats BEFORE anyone else could do anything about it so im pleased to hear it was sorted b4 it got to that. :)

Compromise is always the best option (closely followed by liquid ass!!)

Ahh so pleased to hear this has been resolved....

When I read flirtys post reminded me of something funny a few years ago... I told my next door but one neighbour about putting orange peels down to deter the cats from pooing in his garden. He grows lots of veg etc, and had this scarecrow kind of thing in his garden... Well there was obvioously a misunderstanding somewhere along the line... He'd only gone and draped some orange coloured material from this scarecrow thing pmsl

This is the same neigbour who when he wanted to take down his wooden shed, instead of taking it apart and burning the wood on a bonfire, decided it would be quicker to just set it alight whilst it was still standing! can you imagine :eek::D

quote]

Last edited:
thank god!! well done. would have been awful that something bad would have to happen to one if the cats BEFORE anyone else could do anything about it so im pleased to hear it was sorted b4 it got to that. :)

Me too, I was so worried.

Good news - and very impressed the police turned up so quickly, not what one normally hears :rolleyes:

I have to say they are pretty good in our area, probably because we are a small lazy seaside town, they were probably all fighting as to which one would get the call to relieve the boredom!!:rolleyes:;)

Compromise is always the best option (closely followed by liquid ass!!)

Don't worry I haven't forgotton about the liquid ass:D just because I thought up a compromise, dosen't mean all is forgiven, I am a woman after all:p

Ahh so pleased to hear this has been resolved....

When I read flirtys post reminded me of something funny a few years ago... I told my next door but one neighbour about putting orange peels down to deter the cats from pooing in his garden. He grows lots of veg etc, and had this scarecrow kind of thing in his garden... Well there was obvioously a misunderstanding somewhere along the line... He'd only gone and draped some orange coloured material from this scarecrow thing pmsl

This is the same neigbour who when he wanted to take down his wooden shed, instead of taking it apart and burning the wood on a bonfire, decided it would be quicker to just set it alight whilst it was still standing! can you imagine :eek::D

Priceless!!!!:rotflmao:

quote]

Oooops :eek::eek::eek:

Great news hun woo

Thanks Sonkie:)

All is well again apart from the fact that the communal litter tray has caused a stir in our cat community. A large tabby tom decided he was king of the tray this evening much to the disgust of one of my cats, so a fight ensued:sigh: Think I might have to put a couple more up there, or invest in a water pistol myself:rolleyes::D

Tracey
x

Back