How do you estimate syns?

sheone

I have read on here that as a rough guess 1 syn is approximately 20 calories if there isn't any free food in it. Please can you tell me how you would estimate an item if it did have any free food in it. How would you know the quantity of free food and the quantity of synned food?

Am I making any sense at all? It all seems clear in my head.

Personally, unless something is 100% free, I syn it. I'm afraid to get into the mindset of tweaking things too much.

I think there's too much free/superfree food to choose from to be looking to sneakily cut down on syns.

Maybe I am being too harsh though, I just want to lose weight the quickest and healthiest way poss!

I have read on here that as a rough guess 1 syn is approximately 20 calories if there isn't any free food in it. Please can you tell me how you would estimate an item if it did have any free food in it. How would you know the quantity of free food and the quantity of synned food?

Am I making any sense at all? It all seems clear in my head.

There is no way of working out syns if there is a free food unless you use the online resources that are only available to members such as syns online or the syn calculator. If you use 1 syn for every 20 calories then that will be the maximum syns, so you could use that if you want to make sure you don't go over your daily allowance but in reality it would be lower because of the free food element

Personally, unless something is 100% free, I syn it. I'm afraid to get into the mindset of tweaking things too much.

I think there's too much free/superfree food to choose from to be looking to sneakily cut down on syns.

Maybe I am being too harsh though, I just want to lose weight the quickest and healthiest way poss!

I don't see where the OP has suggested tweaking or not synning things that are supposed to be synned. Perhaps you have misinterpreted the post? The OP only want to know if there is a way to work the syns yourself on something with a free food allowance :)

If you don't have access to the SW syn calculator online then prob best to google search it first, often the syn value will be on here.

One thing to note though - soup you get from the shop never has a free food allowance & nor do package sandwiches I'm afraid. Rubbish but true :(

Personally, unless something is 100% free, I syn it.
Why on earth would you do that?!:confused: You may lose weight quicker, but in the long term you will find it harder to keep the weight off.
You're actually tweaking the plan in a different way!

i personally wouldn't estimate. If it is something shop bought, then i either check online, ask someone else to check online or ask my consultant- who is really good, she calls up syn line and does it that way.

i will only eat something shop bought after i've checked the syn value. maybe a bit anal, but i'm just like that ;)

Some free foods are stuffed full of calories. So if any of the food has pasta, potatoes or rice in it, they are going to make up a very large chunk of the stated calories on the packaging, same for meat products.

I am like a hawk now for fat content in meat products. There is no noticeable taste difference between those slices of shaved ham that have 25% fat in them and those that have 2% fat. The look, taste and cost the same....

1syn = 20 calories, i roughly do it by that if a product is 4 calories, and i dont know it is, ill estimate it at 5 or 6 so i know im clear

Sweetest_Syn said:
1syn = 20 calories, i roughly do it by that if a product is 4 calories, and i dont know it is, ill estimate it at 5 or 6 so i know im clear

This only works with a food item that has no free food allowance!

Back