How do you know what can be safely frozen?

3106Catherine

Silver Member
I cook virtually all of our meals from scratch. It would be nice to bulk cook a few things and freeze them for quick and easy meals.

The problem I have is I get most of my receipes from the SW website but they rarely say if they are safe to freeze.

Can anyone tell me if theres any general rules or ways of knowing if a meal is freezer friendly?

Thanks

Difficult question I think this is something you learn as you get older.

I'd never freeze rice, pasta, any diary or things which would go soggy.

Sorry that's probably not the answer you're looking for but I hope it helps a little.

I freeze pretty much everything, exceptions being: Pasta (goes mushy), potatoes (go mushy unless mashed), eggs (I don't know if it's safe or not to freeze them).

I have frozen rice, great for pulling out freezer for fried rices, whole meals eg soups, stews, sheps pies, curries, tandoori chicken, grated cheese, pints of milk.

To freeze or not to freeze? - Recipe features - Recipes - BBC Good Food

Hope that helps?

You can't freeze anything that's already been frozen, unless you "change its state". So If you buy fresh chicken, you can freeze it raw, defrost it, cook it, and freeze it again with no problems. Anything thats already frozen from the supermarket generally can't be frozen again (unless its raw chicken, mince etc, and you cook it, ). Normally it will say on the packet "do not re freeze". As the posters above have said, pasta doesn't freeze well (although i've never had a problem with lasagne). If you want to freeze batches I would reccomend freezing just the main sauce (bolognaise, curry, etc) and adding fresh pasta/rice/potatoes to it when you're ready to eat it.

Make sure you freeze the stuff in portion sizes, as if you defrost to much you can't freeze it again. Hope that helped and wasn't too confusing!!!

Back