How do you Know When to Stop?

charlotte1985

OK, so I've set and re-set my target 3 times now.

I had a sneaky mid week weigh in today (normally WI is a Tuesday) and I'm 9 stone 0.5lbs, this is 1.5lbs below my actual slimming world target.

I don't think my consultant will let me change my target again, but I don't want to have to gain (although I will over Christmas I'm sure).

I'm obviously not starving myself. I'm following the plan.

The thing is, how will I know when I'm the weight I want to be? Will my body eventually plateu?

Thanks xx

I want to give you some advice, but mainly, all I'm thinking is that I'm seriously jealous of you for being 9 stone something.

Do you think you won't be able to reset your target because it will put you below minimum acceptable weight for your height? Those guidelines are there for a reason, so I would seriously consider upping your HeX's to assist with maintaining if that's the case. If you do weigh in at 1.5 lbs below your target, you will still be in range, so won't HAVE to reduce your target.

I'd love to offer you some advice however i think im in the same boat. I hit my target of 9st 6lbs last Saturday in fact I smashed it by 1lb so I'm actually 9st 5lb. The thing is, I'm not happy at 9st 5lbs and I wonder what I'd look and feel like if I dropped another 6lbs?

I think my problem is, I dont see what other people see...

It's my WI tomorrow morning so I'll see what happens

I mean I'm 1.5lbs below the lowest range for my target. My latest target is 9 stone 5.

Depending on what BMI chart I look at, lowest acceptable weights vary.

I don't think I see myself how others do either!

I just don't know if I want to stop yet!

Hi Charlotte

You'll have to keep in touch and let me know how you get on and what weight you decide on..,

How tall are you? (I'm on my phone so I can't see your stats)

It's reassuring I'm not alone! x

I'm 5 foot 6 too. I'll def stay in touch, and you do the same.

I just guess that eventually I'll end up with stay the sames and then I'll know thats the weight i should be.

xx

Well I've put 1lb on and I was hoping to lose?!? Maybe my 3lb loss last week was a fluke!

Oh well I'm at my official target so I guess I should be happy...

After loosing for so long, its hard to stop!

Everyone says I look slim (not to sound big headed), but I don't feel it yet.

I think it doesnt help that I've had two kids and so will never get a completly flat stomach that I'm dreaming of. I just keep thinking if I loose a bit more then it'll come off my stomach. I do exercises to try and help, but its just that wrinkly bit under my tummy button!

Maybe we should go on How to Look Good Naked and learn to accept ourselves lol

Everybody says the same to me too but I dont feel it either. After my 1lb gain it looks like I won't have a problem from stopping losing... I was gutted! I've seen people comment on here saying that when people have a gain they must have gone over their syns etc but I haven't!

Hey ho... Maybe I should focus on being at target and trying to like my body

I wouldnt stress yourself out with just one gain...maybe if it was six weeks down the line or something. You've done so well, you mustn't get down on yourself!

Anyway, Christmas was never going to be easy eh! xxx

charlotte1985 said:
I wouldnt stress yourself out with just one gain...maybe if it was six weeks down the line or something. You've done so well, you mustn't get down on yourself!

Anyway, Christmas was never going to be easy eh! xxx

I wouldn't mind if I'd been naughty! God knows what would happen if I was!!

At least I've got something to aim for next week!!

What kingleds said! :) I think if you're still losing, Charlotte, you probably need to up your healthy extras.

If you're 5'6", you won't be able to drop your target much lower at any rate. (I'm 5'5" and I think the lowest SW would let me go is 8 stone 11 - I suspect it's around 9 stone for you.)

I just don't know if I'm ready to maintain yet. Thats just how I feel.

I feel as though I'm being sensible and following a healthy eating plan, and so for that reason I don't think I'm doing anything wrong in loosing a bit more weight.

Obviously I know that there are certain limits set by slimming world and I'm sure there are good reasons behind this, but when I put my details into the NHS.com BMI calculator, that range was completly different!?

I think maybe the reason the range is slightly different is because SW have this "range" around your target that you can go above or below and still be "at Target". So if you go for a Target that is absolutely bottom of BMI then you have nowhere else to go before they have to stop you being a member. Also, BMI is not an infallible system, as we have seen with the obese and healthy rugby player example. It doesn't take bone density, muscle structure into account, or loose but otherwise fat free skin, all of which can cause variation. So SW allow for this within their range so as to avoid having underweight members.

I really would consider the opinions of a trusted person when it came to setting Target. We can be very judgmental and have a skewed view of what our bodies look like. From above for example, I hate the look of my stomach - but to other people, it isn't noticeable, and I got to a point trying to sort my stomach out where the rest of me was looking aged and gaunt.

Bottom line, if you are within healthy range, are fitting into a size of clothes that you are happy with (and use your measurements to gauge this, NOT shop sizes, as they vastly vary), and most importantly, feel well and healthy, then its a good time to consider stopping. You can then try exercise to tone up areas that you aren't happy with, without going so low that you risk your health.

Last edited:
I find it difficult too now I am at target and am still eating as before when I was losing some weeks I gain for no apparent reason, others I lose. It is true that when you have been doing it for some time (11 months) it is difficult not to want to continue losing, but I realise I have lost enough. I think for me it was because I got a buzz when I had lost, but have had a chat with myself and now feel happy where I am. I am beginning to break the habit of only having the h es I was previously allowed and am slowly increasing them. Does that make sense?

I find it difficult too now I am at target and am still eating as before when I was losing some weeks I gain for no apparent reason, others I lose. It is true that when you have been doing it for some time (11 months) it is difficult not to want to continue losing, but I realise I have lost enough. I think for me it was because I got a buzz when I had lost, but have had a chat with myself and now feel happy where I am. I am beginning to break the habit of only having the h es I was previously allowed and am slowly increasing them. Does that make sense?

Yeah I totally understand that! Thanks

Maintaining is a battle with in itself sometimes.

I have maintained now for a year .... this time last year i was 9st 10lbs ... and i`d just called target with group. There have been a few ups and downs along the way ... i dropped down to 9st 6lbs at one point, so had to put a bit back on ... but for the most part i`m happily eating sensibly and for the most part staying the same.

A couple of weeks ago i had gone up to 9st 13lbs :eek: ..... (had a few weeks off the waggon, stuffing my face) ... i jumped back on for the last couple of weeks and i`m back down to 9st 10lbs again ... I seem to be at my happiest between 9st 7lbs and 9st 10lbs ... i can hover there with out too much trouble.

I must admit though, i am wondering if i would be better around the 9st point ... and am thinking of really knuckling down in the new year and going for it again, so i understand what you`re saying about knowing where to stop. But i did want to make sure i can maintain any weightloss first .. which i have now done for a year ..... so we`ll see how i feel in the new year :D

I have always managed to stay within the non paying band but fluctuate such a lot. I do weigh myself at home now ( I know!!) I never did that when I was losing, as if I know I am going to be under for W I I eat a bit more.Likewise if I am creeping up, I really go for it. Just cant seem to maintain though.

I reached my target weight but fell out of range within a few weeks so it has been reset and I am within 1 lb of reaching it, but last time I couldn't maintain even by eating "rubbish" food and felt miserable when one week i put on 1 lb! I feel healthy and everyone is telling me to stop but how and maintain......
I eat healthily and it's not a million miles away from the food I used to eat, just more home made food. Oh well Xmas is nearly here so I should put weight on now!

Back