how do you make porridge ?????

This is how you make a lump-free porrige ...

• Around 300/350ml of very hot water (not just boiled)
  • One pack of CD shake (toffee & walnut / vanilla / banana all work well ... choc isn't TOO bad)
  • Mix up as usual and pour into a bowl.
  • Add powdered psyllium husks to taste (I use about 3 teaspoons - some people use less)
  • Mix in briskly with a fork or small balloon whisk until the mixture is smooth.
  • I sprinkle a little cinnamon on top of mine - yum!
  • Eat and enjoy :)

You just have to be aware that it won't be 'Scott's porrige oats' but just an approximation ... more like semolina really. But when you're hungry it really hits the spot.

Have psyllium husks got calories or carbs in? and can we have this 'porridge' when doing SS or not?

Hey just noticed my tracker - I've got less weight to get rid of than what I've lost on CD now (but only just). Yeah - way to go!

Have psyllium husks got calories or carbs in? and can we have this 'porridge' when doing SS or not?

Hey just noticed my tracker - I've got less weight to get rid of than what I've lost on CD now (but only just). Yeah - way to go!

No calories, no carbs. Its just digestive fibre and passes straight through. Good news if that side of things is a bit <ahem> troublesome!:D and its ok to use on SS

Where do peeps get their psyllium husks from (the pure husks, not the tablets)?

Do any pharmacists or high street shope sell them?

Where can you buy psyllium husks?

Where's the best place to buy psyllium husks? I know you can get them in health food shops, but I assume they'd be wierd about you buying them in bulk?!:eek:

Psyllium Husks Digestive Fibre - 300g tub

Try this link, as this is the cheapest that I have found for them. Holland & Barrett do a tablet form, but they range from £11.00.
You can have sweetner if you want, but in tablet form and not powder. My advice would be to stir it in with the water to dissolve before you add the shake and the husks.

I haven't made any yet, as my husks are on order, but I can't wait!!!

Thanks! Will order some now! Are canderel sweeteners ok to use?

Would it need to be sweetened if you are using your shake mix? or do you normally sweeten those too?

I actually find the shakes very sweet so presume asding the husks might tone the sweetness down a touch.

I've just ordered the husks from Healthspan and they siad to allow up to 14 days to arrive from Guernsey. Do they normally take this long or is it just an outside time they are allowing?

I think they are just covering themselves with the postal issues Hun....I sent away for mine 3 days ago and still not received anything yet.

Healthspan are normally super-fast on delivery so I expect it's the postal disruption (grrr)

As for sweetness ... I find that the husks dont tone-down the sweetness of the shakes at all - so if the shakes are sweet enough for you, the porrige will be even without added sweeteners.

Wooo hoo!!!! 6 days after ordering them, my husks have arrived....I am going to try them later!

Guys,

1. Try getting them from GNC, mine had them in stock.
2. I use half a vanilla pack and 200ml of hot water and 2 tea spoons of husks. It's yummy in the morning and you you got half a pack spare to use during the day. I find that the vanilla is sweet enough so no extra sweetners required.

Hope this helps

Back