How do you stop cheating?

Hey.

Earlier i was at work and reeeally wanted a bag of crisps lol. How do you stop cheating on your diet? Or do you just allow yourself a treat then make up for it?

I think it's best to just not do it.. at the moment I struggle with cravings too, but in a previous diet where I was successful, I just stuck to it and it got to a point where I wouldn't even think about it anymore. Funnily enough even after I was long done with a diet, I still don't want any of those stuff I stopped, chocolate, biscuits, sweets, ice cream, crisps.. If you just don't do it, you'll stop wanting to. That's what I found anyway =)

I don't even bother with it because eventually you won't crave it because you haven't had it for so long. Well, that's how it is for me.

Hiya. To be honest, if you view it as "cheating" you're far less likely to succeed in any change of eating habit, because if you feel deprived you probably won't keep it up long term. You need to really want to change how you eat, rather than feel it's being imposed on you, and that way you won't see it as cheating, just making choices. If you're calorie counting, you can easily build something like a bag of crisps into your daily eating plan, but it's best to plan in advance what you're going to eat rather than just giving into impulse. That's how I deal with eating so-called "bad" things every now and then, anyway. Last week at work there were two birthdays, and we had a selection of cakes and a tin of Quality Street, which are my favourite. But I was planning a high calorie lunch on Friday, so I took a 108 cal mini roll to keep in my drawer for another time, took a looong sniff at the tin of choccies, and went on my way, lol. It's all about balance, really. :) xx

Last edited:
I completely agree. In the past I have always viewed any break from the diet as a "cheat" rather than a "treat". I'm not saying I do it every week but like you said:

if you view it as "cheating" you're far less likely to succeed in any change of eating habit

I have never made it past 2 weeks on any diet before, but now by changing how I think about food I have lasted 10 weeks so far!!!

My problem was that every night was treat night and that was very difficult to break that habit, and on some days it still is.

Hey. Earlier i was at work and reeeally wanted a bag of crisps lol. How do you stop cheating on your diet? Or do you just allow yourself a treat then make up for it?

I think deprivation makes it worst, so I say yes I can have it BUT this is the consequences, this is what I want to achieve, can I only have 1? By the time I've done that I've convinced myself it's not worth it and the cravings gone or ok I can have it but substitute things later to help counteract the effects so smaller portion at dinner or a green tea instead of two cups of regular. Also looking at triggers for me most things are! So tiredness, boredom etc so I use distractions. Instead of eating crisps during a movie ill paint my nails or something. That works for me anyway! Good luck

Back