how does cambridge diet work?

How Does A VLCD Work?

A vlcd like CD/LT/LL is designed to safely maximize the 'calorie gap' this is the difference between the calories you use and the calories you eat. It provides appropriate amounts of all the essential nutrients your body needs each day in a minimum number of calories.

The average person uses up about 2000 calories energy each day so the difference between energy used up and energy eaten means that the body's reserve stores of sugar and fat are drawn on to meet the body's needs.

In this way body weight is lost.

You are not actually living on reduced calories, you are only changing the place the calories come from.

The body, when not dieting, uses mostly sugar for energy rather than fat. The sugar content of the diet is kept deliberately low so that the body's own sugar stores get used up quickly. Fat then becomes the major source of energy.

Ketosis:

When fat is burned rapidly, the body produces substances from the fat called 'ketones' and the person is said to be in 'ketosis'. The mild ketosis produced by the diet formula has a number of advantages for dieters: hunger is reduced and a feeling of well-being is often experience.

Ketones can be detected in the urine of dieters and provides encouragement than body fat is being burned. Ketones can sometimes be detected on the breath. This is only temporary and can be reduced by adequate water intake and mouth rinsing with a mouthwash (i.e. Oraldene, Listerine)

Because the low sugar level of the diet is critical to maintain ketosis, it is very important not to eat or drink anything else, apart from your daily serving of formula and approved drinks - even a nibble of apple, raw vegetables, milk in tea or coffee or merely a diet beverage may make you feel very hungry and you may find it very difficult to carry on.

Love Mini xxx

Regarding the cost, counsellors can charge what they like, though generally you will find the packs are approximately £1.75, Tetra's approx £2 and bars approx £2. It works out around £40 for a week (on 3 meals a day). There will be some variation between CDC's though. Well worth the money.

Just to support the last comment - it works brilliantly! I pay £1.80 per pack (£37.80 a week). Having struggled to lose any significant amount of weight on all sorts of diets, including radical ones, I've lost 18lbs in 3 weeks, and I feel great. Well worth the investment if you are determined to commit to it. Tx

Back