How does CC work?

echoburning

21/M/Bolton
Hi guys,

I have been low carbing for about 6 weeks now and I can feel myself starting to falter.

I'm finding a low carb diet too restrictive and when I've been denying myself things I tend to not do very well.

Anywhoo, calorie counting seems to be a more sensible weight loss option for me. I'll have more freedom around what I can eat which should hopefully help.

I was just wondering, how do you know how many calories is the right amount to continue losing weight? Do you just keep it as low as possible or do you need to try and hit a certain number.

Thank you in advance

Hi there! The easiest way to see how many calories you should be eating (or at least how I do it!) is to look up your basic metabolic rate, or BMR, which is how many calories you burn in a normal day (here's a ling BMR Calculator ) and then eat less/burn more than that number so you create a calorie deficit. As a pound of fat is 3500 calories, a calorie deficit of 500 calories per day will, on average, mean one pound of fat per week lost. A 1000 calorie deficit is about two pounds of fat.

For example, if your BMR is 2000 calories, and you eat 1300 and burn another 300 through exercise, you will lose about two pounds a week. It's generally not advised to eat less than 1000-1200 calories a day, and 1-2 pounds a week is considered a healthy weight loss.

Protein is the preferred food, rather than carbs or fat because the body expends more energy breaking down protein than sugars or fats, but that doesn't mean it has to be strictly low carb. A balance is best.

Good luck!

Great post Pheonix :) I always find that they allow you too much calories to eat!!

But your explanation on the deficit is very useful, where did you find that out?

x

What allows you too many calories to eat?

The calculator, may just be my opinion :)

Great post Pheonix :) I always find that they allow you too much calories to eat!!

But your explanation on the deficit is very useful, where did you find that out?

x

I have no idea! I probably read it somewhere, but by now it's just been assimilated into my knowledge.

The most accurate BMR calculators take body fat percentage into account, rather than just total weight, but body fat can be difficult to work out.

Thanks Phoenixhonour, that really makes sense! :)

My BMR is 2401 so I'll be looking to hit 1900 foodwise and 500 cal through exercise.

Thanks again!

I have no idea! I probably read it somewhere, but by now it's just been assimilated into my knowledge.

The most accurate BMR calculators take body fat percentage into account, rather than just total weight, but body fat can be difficult to work out.

I know what you mean, when you have to consider so much it somehow sticks :)

I perhaps do it wrong with the calculators but last time I did it, it advised to eat about 2000 cals!!! which sounds yummy to eat but not what Im doing

x

Back