How important are sins?

snuggle69

Silver Member
Well here I am on day one, and after surviving on between 1000 and 1200 calories a day for the last 3 years I am gobsmacked by how much I can now eat and still lose weight...But I am scared, how will my body cope with this and will it actually work after what its used to?
So one major question I have is should I really have sins, or am I better to try to avoid them? I know that this plan will only work if I follow it properly so I need to do it right from the word go!

For me personally I would have them, it doesn't have to be as chocolate or wine it can be tomato puree in your bolognese or a bit of gravy or an extra bit of olive oil if not using it as a healthy extra.

Sometimes I have a couple of small roast pots roasted in oil on a sunday or a yorkshire pudding.

Be creative and enjoy :D oh and good luck

i'd have them to hun because other wise u may feel u r going without and also if u have syns when u plato (sp)you can cut some syns down alittle to get u moving again

syns are a must, used for a lot of things , and calories.... we dont count, the more i eat i seem to have good weeks, if i do low cal, i dont lose as much, so i use 15 syns and enjoy them x

I agree, you really need your syns.
SW suggest between 5 and 15 a day.
I have always done 15 and lost.
Some people do better on less but 15 was fine for me.
It may take a while for your body to adjust after doing a low calorie diet, but stick with it and you will lose!

Syns are important but with regards to eating what you want, I would highlight the importance of not simply eating for the sack of it and it when needed (not for emotional or boredom) and also make reasonable size portions can also help. Thats of course if you like me and take the p**s with the rules and take the literatrally, just a few tips I have lesrnt along the way of my SW journey.

I think that it all depends on you and how your body copes with the diet. I'd definitely recommend on having at least 5.
I tend to use mine for cooking (as already suggested) e.g tomato puree etc. I do this as I really don't enjoy chocolate!! I've also started having a glass of wine at the weekend, which I now really enjoy.
Don't restrict yourself too much, again as already said, the deprivation feeling could send you completely off track.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for all your advice, and to be honest it wouldnt be depriving me, I havent had a treat at all since xmas, nor have I had a single glass of wine or anything else alcoholic, I think I will do as suggested and use within cooking. sorry for all the questions but after such a strict diet this all seems to good to be true lol

Thanks for all your advice, and to be honest it wouldnt be depriving me, I havent had a treat at all since xmas, nor have I had a single glass of wine or anything else alcoholic, I think I will do as suggested and use within cooking. sorry for all the questions but after such a strict diet this all seems to good to be true lol
The beauty of SW is it's lack of deprevation. You may have gone for a long time without 'treats' but at some point in the future when you are at target you will want to start eating more 'normally'.

Syns allow you to enjoy off-plan treats in a controlled way, so over time they teach you that you CAN have everything in moderation and NOTHING should be excluded from a balanced diet, as long as you can control it.

I would suggest eating the reccomended syns as a way of training you body and brain to accept that these foods are not 'bad' or off limits. They are perfectly normal and synning them allows you to gain some control for the future- think ahead, mate

xxx

The beauty of SW is it's lack of deprevation. You may have gone for a long time without 'treats' but at some point in the future when you are at target you will want to start eating more 'normally'.

Syns allow you to enjoy off-plan treats in a controlled way, so over time they teach you that you CAN have everything in moderation and NOTHING should be excluded from a balanced diet, as long as you can control it.

I would suggest eating the reccomended syns as a way of training you body and brain to accept that these foods are not 'bad' or off limits. They are perfectly normal and synning them allows you to gain some control for the future- think ahead, mate

xxx

I hadnt even thought of it like that, it just all seems to good to be true at the moment! sins it is then, but only little ones to start with!

I hadnt even thought of it like that, it just all seems to good to be true at the moment! sins it is then, but only little ones to start with!
You can give your spares to me- I never have a problem using mine :D

p.s. we will all agree that it seems too good to be true- I still think it daily, and yet the weight keeps coming off! Amazing, isn't it?

Haven't read the replies above as I'm in a rush, so this may be repeated before.
I personally feel that if you don't have your syns then you are more likely to crave things and go out of control. If you can't use your syns every day, then try to save them up for when you know you will need them (maybe for the weekend)? As you are only 24lbs away from target if you don't see much weight coming off in the next few weeks then you may want to reduce them (with the approval from your C), but don't give them up totally.

This is why I was asking, I have been dieting without sins until now, and I appear to have hit a brick wall, which is why I have started slimming world. I havent gained anything at all so far this year though

I would say see how you do the first 4 weeks having the syns. If you don't notice a difference try minimizing them or switching your Healthy Extras too. Some more experienced ladies on here though, so they may be able to offer better info.

This is why I was asking, I have been dieting without sins until now, and I appear to have hit a brick wall, which is why I have started slimming world. I havent gained anything at all so far this year though

Just a note.....
Don't think of syns as SINS...
SW used to call them sins but changed a few years ago.
Syns are not sinful.. it means synergy and I think you need to perhaps change your mindset to accept that syns are there for eating and being able to maintain the eating plan for life.
No diet is sustainable for life if it is really restricted and cutting outs syns is totally
not normal eating and will not be maintained long term.

Just a note.....
Don't think of syns as SINS...
SW used to call them sins but changed a few years ago.
Syns are not sinful.. it means synergy and I think you need to perhaps change your mindset to accept that syns are there for eating and being able to maintain the eating plan for life.
No diet is sustainable for life if it is really restricted and cutting outs syns is totally
not normal eating and will not be maintained long term.

Your all so informative, so glad I found this forum before I started

I would say you should def have them. It's important for the plan to work plus your mental well-being. It's my syns that stop me diving into a binge!

Back