How long does homemade houmous last....

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Little Miss Happy, 25 January 2010 Social URL.

1. Little Miss Happy

Little Miss Happy Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Hi there,
    I made a batch of homous at home on Saturday (chickpeas, garlic, chilli, lemon juice and a little bit of tahini)

I put it in an airtight tub, and its been in the fridge since.

How long would you say I've got til I need to bin it?

Thanks
    A x

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. jaylou

jaylou Gold Member

I always go by smell and taste hun. If it tastes yukky then bin it!
    I love home made hummus and it all gets eaten with a day or two so it never goes off!
    I never use tahini though, how many syns is it and does it make a big difference to the taste?

4. Little Miss Happy

Little Miss Happy Member

Start Weight:
    14st4lb
    Current Weight:
    14st2lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st2lb(1%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I think it's 4.5 syns per level tbsp (but I will double check that later and come back to you!)

It does make a diff if you put enough in, but I only put 1/2 tbsp in this time, as wanted to use about 2 syns and it hasnt seemed to make much of a difference..... lol Serve me right for being tight with my syns!

Thanks for the advice - its not going green yet, and still tastes ok, so I'll give it a whirl....

A x

5. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    Tahini is 4.5 syns for a level tablespoon, 8.5 syns for 28g. The taste is quite distinctive and I find hummus very disappointing without it, so I would use it and syn it and enjoy it!

Also, you can make a very nice spread with tahini and soy sauce - in proportions of about 4 to 1. The soy sauce makes the tahini thicker, rather than thinner, for some reason I don't quite understand, and it is lovely as a spread in salad sandwiches.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.