how much protein is too much

Discussion in 'Atkins Diet' started by ber-297, 25 February 2011 Social URL.

1. ber-297

ber-297 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7lb(42.34%)
    Diet:
    low carb
    Have been missing brekie a fair bit lately so decided to have some protein shake in the house for when i'm rushing / not in form for food . How much protein is ok in a day , and could i have it every day ?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. J2BLUE

J2BLUE Low Carber

Start Weight:
    0st0lb
    Current Weight:
    0st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    0st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(NAN%)
    You'll be fine to have it every day. Don't worry about protein intake, just the carbs. Just make sure you have some fat with every meal. It's a trick in the bodybuilding world to add olive oil to shakes to slow the digestion down (they do it at night so their body has protein throughout the night). You won't even taste it if you add a tablespoon and it will keep you burning fat. Or you could just have some nuts or something with it.

ber-297 likes this.
  4. ber-297

ber-297 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st10lb
    Current Weight:
    10st3lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    7st7lb(42.34%)
    Diet:
    low carb
    Thanks J . thats grand . Have found since starting in gym that i'm slacing on the meals a lot . The other day i didnt eat all day and ended up with shakey legs and dizziness lol so i better sort myself out .

5. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    If you are shaky/ dizzy after gym that can also be low blood pressure due to dehydration. DH wasn't drinking enof water to start and really noticed it - now glugs away like me and no probs

6. girlygirl1

girlygirl1 Banned

Remember that Atkins is a high fat, medium protein, low carbohydrate plan. The fat intake is vital to mobilise our own body fat to provide energy for bodily functions and daily activities.

Don't attempt vigorous exercise on hardly any food at all - that can be dangerous and without carbs to provide glycogen to fuel muscles you may suffer a bad injury.

Atkins has do be done according to the rules for best and healthiest results. Good luck!

7. *Michael*

*Michael* Silver Member

Start Weight:
    14st3lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Lost(%):
    3st8lb(25.13%)
    Diet:
    Low carb, now calorie counting
    I think I've read in the past that our fat/protein ratio should be something like 70/25 (+ a few carbs, depending on your stage).

After watching the brill video J2 posted, this diet is all about fats + some protein.

That said, a shake or two every day will be fine. Maybe mix some cream in with it? I've read some guys here mix a dash of coconut oil in with theirs.

8. Kat1e

Kat1e This is for life

Start Weight:
    17st8.9lb
    Current Weight:
    12st12.8lb
    Goal Weight:
    12st6.2lb
    Lost(%):
    4st10.1lb(26.77%)
    Diet:
    Atkins Maintenance
    Yep ratio fat to protein right - note that this is calories not weight tho - and since fat has approx twice cals of protein if you are eating equal grams then you are having right proportion of cals.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.