How to approach GP

Took me 3 years to go see a doctor even though I knew myself I had PCOS. Just blurt it out, i went to a female doctor so I didn't feel quite so shy. Blurting out "I haven't had a period in over a year" would make me even more embarassed with a male doctor.

Just go in and tell them your symptoms, they will probably send you for blood tests, depending on the results of them they will send you for an ultra sound scan. Though from my blood tests everything seemed fine but cos I hadn't had a period she sent me for a scan and that revealed the PCOS. If they don't send you for bloods, ask them too, you tend to know your own body and if you think there is something wrong they should check you.

Blurting out whats wrong works fine, they are used to it, just remember there is always someone with something more embarassing wrong with them. And if you see a guy, they have probably been there hundreds of time before and are used to talking to about "womens problems"...though i still wouldn't go to a man about it unless I had too...but thats just me, guyphobia I think :)

Hi Ally, I've just been brave and booked in with the docs for 30th March. I'm quite the doctor phobe, I haven't been for a few years because last time I went to discuss Acne, Weight Gain, excess hair even to the extent I have to pluck areas on my breast :( and irregular heavy periods I was made to feel like I was wasting their time. The lady Dr said we all get hairier as we get older and if I want to improve my weight just go on a diet. I'm 33 now and completed my family in my late teens and early twenties. When I had my last child I had a scan where I was told I had fibroids so I don't know if that would be related. I'm also coeliac and diabetes runs in the family i.e my mom. I guess the doc will know if these are relevant that's if I get taken seriously at all xx

First doctor I went to told me "there's no point in doing tests until you want children" I was 18 at the time, didn't go back to another doctor for 3 years who within 4 weeks had diagnosed me with PCOS. Thanks to that doctor I may now never have kids cos I've stopped ovulating. Make them check you if you are concerned, if you have PCOS and diabetes runs in your family they will probably put you on metformin as a preventative, or like me, they might put you on the pill. I would def force them to check you though.

Back