How to quit smoking?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SaraKimberly, 26 February 2009 Social URL.

1. SaraKimberly

SaraKimberly New Member

How do you encourage a person to quit smoking that has been smoking since the age of 16?

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. izmirka

izmirka Trying to stay positive..

you can't encourage a person to quit smoking unless that person wants to quit him/herself. i know it from experience, i am a smoker and if anybody tries to encourage me i get all nervous and just crave another cigarette:) i know that in order to quit successfully, i would really want to quit, or need to quit... it's not that easy, it's an addiction, simple encouragement doesn't work.

4. Freefalling

Freefalling Gold Member

Diet:
    cambridge diet
    I remember a couple of years ago a friend of mine from work tried to stop and i was her "assigned" support person - she got loads of bumff from quit-line and they suggested loads of distraction techniques. Needless to say it never worked. Its like dieting, its a personal choice!

5. JanD

JanD maintaining since June'09

Start Weight:
    15st9.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st13.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st7lb
    Lost(%):
    4st9.9lb(30.02%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World, Dietchef, Lipotrim - now maintaining (I hope!).
    You can't .... sorry - it has to come from them. Any pressure will be totally counter-productive, trust me. xx

6. izmirka

well, i decided to try and quit, yet again, due to some outside motivation. let's see if it works this time...:)

7. Maria

Maria Was born to shop

Start Weight:
    14st5.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st8.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st11lb(5.46%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I keep meaning to stop smoking, but I know I'll fail, maybe one day...........

Good Luck Izmirka x

8. izmirka

thank you, i quit smoking smth like... 6 hours ago and i am actually physically shaking:| it's absolutely horrible how addicted i am to it. i was supposed to be writing an essay outline for tomorrow at Uni, but i am unable to do anything because i cannot concentrate, so i will have to go home and do it there, as i think it will be easier if i just lay in bed with my laptop instead of sitting at uni and wanting to go out for a smoke.... aaaaagh... i am gonna kill myself...:|

9. izmirka

still not smoking, although i am restraining myself with every thread of my being... i think i know where the problem is. i've always been trying to quit for other ppl, and not for me. i guess that others want me to, and i want them to be happy, but i don't really want to quit myself. well, here's to hope that i survive this and not give into smoking. gotta protect that wallet:)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.