How to stop it ruling your life

b_44

Silver Member
Hello. Most if the time, I enjoy doing slimming works and in some ways, I think it's very easy but in other ways hard. I do feel like it rules my life a bit. For example , this evening I wanted to go out for a drink (or 2!) but I felt like I couldn't because I had already had my syns for today, and I use all 15 daily (reducing syns to make up for higher syn days leads me to feeling deprived). I feel like I can't look forward to things because of it, such as going out for a meal because I don't want to be sat there with a jacket potato and grilled chicken while everyone else has burger and chips! I I know I could just have a night off, flexi syn etc but this has led to me binging in the past and having a 'Sod it' attitude for the day, perhaps even the week. I know this is a bad habit and that I need to work on it but I do find it really difficult not to let it rule my life and affect how I see things.

Anyone else feel the same?

I have been like this in the past and resented being on the SW "diet"... was a right crabby cow for months too whilst I stuck to it. I've yo-yo'd over the years (but in my defence it has always taken longer to go back on than to lose on SW, not that it's good :eek: ) However, I hit fifty last week and this time I've really decided to embrace SW properly, for what it is - a "healthy eating plan", rather than the D-word - I have a totally different mindset to how I have been in the past - probably yet another mid-life crisis ;) I've taken up running, I've swapped to green tea and wholewheat pasta, brown rice (which has to be synned, I know, but anyway) and I'm a lot more philosophical about it this time round. I'm in it for the long haul, not quick results and I have a much better attitude towards it.

The bottom line is that if you want to lose weight, you do have to restrict the foods you love, that's what put on the pounds in the first place. I think if you can get your headset right, the battle is already half won.

Good luck and stay strong :)

I think that the previous post is spot on it has to be a healthy eating plan try not to think of the D word easier said than done ! I do understand how you feel tho I have been on off plan for over 20 years I sometimes feel like I can't really have what I want but have to compromise eg drinking what I'd like not loads just couldn't drink wine every night like some of my friends who are slim by the way also on days out if I had what I wanted I'd never loose as I love rubbish food . So this is what I've decided I'm really going to go for it & get to goal 2 1/2stone to go then be sensible but also have what I want now and again so in my mind although I need to be good for now I will be able to have my wine,days out but also keep myself on track I do have to be 100% on plan to loose any weigh about 1lb a week I really can't get away with any thing ! Hope that make sense roll on target best of luck with it x

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins.com mobile app

The phrase that sums it up for me is one which my consultant used to quote: "I can eat and drink what I like, when I like. Or I can be slim. I can't have both."

It made me realise that if we want to be slim and healthy, then we have to make sacrifices. I used to get fed up when going out for lunch and my only option was a jacket and beans, when I'd have loved to have tucked into a cheese baguette. But now I'm at target, I realise that the cheese baguette would have lasted 5 minutes whereas how I feel now can be mine for life if I food optimise.

How long have you been doing SW? I remember when I first started, I felt similar. In time and being used to the plan, I do not shy away from going to restaurants/pubs anymore. Let them have their greasy burger and chips, I will have a juicy steak with a huge balsamico dressed salad and I'm happy to write down some syns for a yummy steak sauce. I certainly got used to it and my body thanks me for the healthy choices. When it comes to going out drinking, well my life hasn't stopped and I will hit the town with the girls, but not every weekend and my bank account thanks me for that. The money I save I rather use on new clothes in my new smaller clothes size. You really need to ask yourself if you are ready for sticking to a plan. as I said in a different thread, your mind needs to be in it to win it, otherwise it's £4.95 wasted once a week xx

Hi everyone, thankyou for the replies. I know youre all right; at the end of the day, if I want to lose weight then I will need to make sacrifices. It's just something that I will have to get used to. I've done slimming world on and off since January 2012 and this last week is when I've felt most serious and determined about. I just need to work On The fact that, yes, I can still enjoy myself on a weekend without having two takeaways and loads of cake! I realised yesterday that I tend to associate enjoyment with food as well. which I shouldn't do.

Thanks everyone :)

Dont think of it as a diet and think of it as a lifestyle change. Dont let it rule you, go out if your want to and enjoy yourself, you still have 6 out of the 7 days to focus. :D

Yes for me it is very much a lifestyle. I have been at target now for nearly 20 months and its really a no brainer. I just automatically pick up low fat, low sugar, and lots of fruit and veg. I have just come back off holiday and felt bloated and very uncomfortable and feel so much better now having been back on plan for 2 days. :)

I'm not sure what it is about the Slimming World plan, but I know that I feel a lot less guilty about what I eat - compared with previous "diets" I've tried. It feels a lot more sustainable (although I'm only 4 weeks in).

I agree that you do have to make sacrifices to be slim but you also have to enjoy life too. I follow the plan, but if there is a special occasion like a birthday or meal out with friends or family, rob and I getting to go out as my parents are visiting and can babysit etc then I do eat or drink what I fancy. Granted I still probably think about it more than I used to before slimming world so, for example, I might only have 1 glass of wine instead of 2 or 3 or I only have a main course instead of a main and dessert. If I do fancy a dessert then I have one but it's rare now, then I am back on plan the next day and I make sure I follow the plan in the days leading up to the meal or occasion.

Slimming world can't rule your life, you still have to live life and enjoy nights out, treats etc but as long as you are on the plan on the other days then that's ok.

xx

Hello. Most if the time, I enjoy doing slimming works and in some ways, I think it's very easy but in other ways hard. I do feel like it rules my life a bit. For example , this evening I wanted to go out for a drink (or 2!) but I felt like I couldn't because I had already had my syns for today, and I use all 15 daily (reducing syns to make up for higher syn days leads me to feeling deprived). I feel like I can't look forward to things because of it, such as going out for a meal because I don't want to be sat there with a jacket potato and grilled chicken while everyone else has burger and chips! I I know I could just have a night off, flexi syn etc but this has led to me binging in the past and having a 'Sod it' attitude for the day, perhaps even the week. I know this is a bad habit and that I need to work on it but I do find it really difficult not to let it rule my life and affect how I see things.

Anyone else feel the same?

Yeah sometimes it does really bug me and I do feel like I am missing out on things. What I try and do and suggest the same for you is try and think what the diet does for me not what it doesn't.
We don't have to follow sw we choose to and we do that because it helps us lose weight/feel healthy and we can have lots of things in moderation.
Hopefully you will get to the point where you can use the flexi syn tool without it leading to a binge but that can be difficult and its something I've taken a while to get used to myself(that just because I have some freedom doesn't mean I have to eat everything in sight right now!)
You may get to the stage where you don't fancy those chips much and enjoy your baked potato more! I allowed myself to have fries with a meal when I went out with my daughter recently and I said to her afterwards that I wouldn't rush to again as I think I am now used to my sw chips!

I have been like this in the past and resented being on the SW "diet"... was a right crabby cow for months too whilst I stuck to it. I've yo-yo'd over the years (but in my defence it has always taken longer to go back on than to lose on SW, not that it's good :eek: ) However, I hit fifty last week and this time I've really decided to embrace SW properly, for what it is - a "healthy eating plan", rather than the D-word - I have a totally different mindset to how I have been in the past - probably yet another mid-life crisis ;) I've taken up running, I've swapped to green tea and wholewheat pasta, brown rice (which has to be synned, I know, but anyway) and I'm a lot more philosophical about it this time round. I'm in it for the long haul, not quick results and I have a much better attitude towards it.

The bottom line is that if you want to lose weight, you do have to restrict the foods you love, that's what put on the pounds in the first place. I think if you can get your headset right, the battle is already half won.

Good luck and stay strong :)

Just wondering why you say you have to syn brown rice?

Yeah sometimes it does really bug me and I do feel like I am missing out on things. What I try and do and suggest the same for you is try and think what the diet does for me not what it doesn't.
We don't have to follow sw we choose to and we do that because it helps us lose weight/feel healthy and we can have lots of things in moderation.
Hopefully you will get to the point where you can use the flexi syn tool without it leading to a binge but that can be difficult and its something I've taken a while to get used to myself(that just because I have some freedom doesn't mean I have to eat everything in sight right now!)
You may get to the stage where you don't fancy those chips much and enjoy your baked potato more! I allowed myself to have fries with a meal when I went out with my daughter recently and I said to her afterwards that I wouldn't rush to again as I think I am now used to my sw chips!

That's a really good way of looking at it, I'd never really thought about it like that before. Today my partner has bought two slices of chocolate cake which look really delicious but I will think about it in the way you've described. Yes, it would taste really good but it wouldn't help with my weigh in, fat intake etc and Plus i would feel guilty about it.

That's fantastic that you felt like that about the chips, I bet it made you feel pleased with yourself didn't it, and in control. I really do hope I feel like that one day, I think I will get there but as you say it does take time.

Thankyou for your advice :)

When I do have flexi days (or off plan days) what I try and measure it by is would a 'normal' person eat what ive eaten that meal or that day and if thats the case then I don't feel bad or guilty about it.
Its normal to have a meal including chips every now and again (though I know I can't do it often without gaining weight) but to then go and eat choc and crisps and cake etc because am not on plan is more binging and touch wood most of the time I don't do that.
Im not saying its easy at all but it is worth it most of the time x

I was just wondering that too, the majority of brown rice is free according to the SW site x

When I do have flexi days (or off plan days) what I try and measure it by is would a 'normal' person eat what ive eaten that meal or that day and if thats the case then I don't feel bad or guilty about it.
Its normal to have a meal including chips every now and again (though I know I can't do it often without gaining weight) but to then go and eat choc and crisps and cake etc because am not on plan is more binging and touch wood most of the time I don't do that.
Im not saying its easy at all but it is worth it most of the time x

This is brilliant thinking :) totally taking this on board. Thank you. X

I feel that SW has freed me. I do have to think about what I eat, but I know that I can make good and healthy choices. Previously I would restrict and then binge and in both conditions food controlled me. Now I am in control.

Yes I feel SW ruins my weekends but not my weekdays! ....

This weekend has been a disaster!!
I'm so so annoyed with myself this weekend!!! I went off SW completely. I drank fri and sat night and then my will power seems to go out the window. I ate cheese on toast at 2am? ive had cocktails, crisps etc etc

And you don't even want to hear about the hangovers?! I'm like an eating machine!!!

DREADING Wednesday WI!

Back to plan tomorrow!!

I've used syns weekly since beginning and had good losses all along. Means my weekends feel like 'normal' and I don't feel deprived at all. Sw says weekly syns are fine but losses might be slower, which is fine by me because this method means that I can see myself sticking to it for life.

Sorry.... my mistake! :eek: I am "old skool" SW so stick to red or green days and mostly do red because carbs bloat me and make me feel tired and sluggish. Because brown rice is not a HEXB, I personally have to syn it. (although my book is very old, so it may well have changed now!)

Back