hypothyroidism

MrsBabyCakes

Naughty Fridge Picker
I have Hypothyroidism and I wondered if any of you guys had the same condition and if their was anything you do differently to help you lose weight.

I have been reading about it, and it seems that I need to reduce my carb intake, which I have done. We used to eat 750g of pasta between five of us (adult portions) and now have 500g between us. I used to do 2 cups of rice and now do 1 1/2 (again 5 ppl). I looked at SW recipes and based the quantities on the recipes they had, and the quantities they tell you to use. I am wondering though if I am still having too much?

I am doing EE and I do adhere to the 1/3 superfree, am quite strict about it, and love my veg anyway.

I just wonder if any of you hypo girls do things in different ways. One thing I read suggested I took a sea kelp supplement and another said I should drink tons of green tea, and another suggested I go on an anti depressant cos it will help my serotonin levels but tbh last time i was on one of them I gained weight lol

Its very confusing!!

Hi

To be honest when I was doing SW, I did nothing different besides follow the plan. There is so much contradictory advice out there it's untrue.

My feeling was, and is, that simply by losing weight by following the plan it's got to be helping.

My losses were roughly the same as another woman who joined when I did who didn't have hypothyroidism
xxx

hey there im also a fellow sufferer of the hypo disorder, i swear Slimming world is the only thing that has worked for me in over 5 years along with what you already know about the carbs stuf i find i must exercise daily if i miss a day r two i get no loss but with at least 30mins daily im losing good, ive only been on SW for 2 week s and yet i got my 1/2 stone award lat night!! it really does work and im so happy that maybe for the first time in 11 years i can be doing something that helps this ever gaining process, also a simple reminder to get a current update on medication (review blood test) when was you last one cos the smallest of difference in the case of needing a increase or decrease in meds can also be a factor,
good luck to you on your journey hope you find SW as great as i am so far! always here if wanna chat, i think only fellow hypo's can truly understand our problems and difficulties with tyring to lose.
Lyns xxx

I just wonder if any of you hypo girls do things in different ways. One thing I read suggested I took a sea kelp supplement and another said I should drink tons of green tea, and another suggested I go on an anti depressant cos it will help my serotonin levels but tbh last time i was on one of them I gained weight lol

Its very confusing!!

I have Hashimitos which reduces my thyroid levels. Generally speaking, people who have underactive thyroid levels know this because their dr has tested them, and if that's the case, they would be getting a thyroxine supplement to bring their levels back to 'normal'.

So, once you have those levels 'tweaked' you're well, not hypo any more, so other supplements will work/or not work the same as everyone else and there really isn't any substantial evidence that green tea etc helps weight loss, though could be beneficial in preventing other conditions.

Kind of annoying eh ;) :D

I think eating too many carbs generally can have an impact on your weight. Eating more vegtables helps but sounds like your doing great anyways so I wouldn't worry to much. If I read conflicting messages about stuff other then SW I get anxious and confused and its best just to stick with SW/or related guidlines :)

I am on 50mg thyroxine, and my levels are normal, although I am one of those that has never felt quite 'well' even though my levels are normal. My doctor said some people are like that because they dont tolerate the synthetic thyroxine as readily, and only in America can you be prescribed the natural thyroxine as it has bovine extract in it, and its more expensive to produce. So I still get moon face, and hair loss and other things, plus I alos have M.E which is also a factor and also have neuro problems caused by the M.E (have lesions on my brain)...so shoot me now aye! lol

My mobility has been affected quite badly by the M.E, if I am flaring quite simply put, I cant exercise, even when having a good day all I can manage are gentle walks. Anything more puts me flat on my back.

I started to ride about a year ago, (my mum as encouragement, bought me a little welsh cob that my sister looks after) as I had terrible pelvis problems and my physio thought it would help my core muscles (which it did enormously) but at most I can manage 20 minutes of walking on him maybe with a small trot of a couple of minutes, even this leads to me being in agony.

So exercising isn't always very easy for me, although before I got ill I was incredibly active and really miss all the hiking I used to do, I was even training for the race for life! So its incredibly frustrating. My C says I dont need to exercise to lose, but as a hypo I think I do need to exercise, but how on earth I do that daily, I just have no clue!

Thanks for all your thoughts!

Back