Hysterectomy

*Cupcake*

is working hard.....
Has anyone had one or considering one?

I'd really appreciate others opinions or experiences if you don't mind sharing!

Thanks ladies! xx

Yes, I have had one.

It was one of the best things that ever happened to me. No more periods, no more period pains, no change to go through.

Recovery time depends on whether it is keyhole or conventional surgery.

I would do it over again if I had to.

Of course it all depends on the individual and the reasons for wanting one.

Thanks Sue - I'm not in the position of choosing sadly, more a necessity now. Blessed hormones and girly bits. Brill when they work - bit pants when they don't!

Glad you had a positive experience though hon, and thanks for sharing. xx

My consultant thought the problem was overlong use of HRT. I had large growths that were harmless but causing pain.

Go for it if you have to.

Hi Cupcake, I had a hysterectomy 3 years ago. At the time, I was very worried about the procedure but after reading all the info I could I put my mind at ease.

I can now honestly say its the best thing that could have happened. Recovery can be slow, I did try to run before I could walk though. You have to take things easily and listen to your body.

Im sure you will be fine and like all of the ladies I have spoken too that have gone through the operation are now loving life!!

Kale

I can honestly say I'm v. worried - seems like such a major operation and I just can't see how I can cope with the hospital stay and 6 week post-op restrictions. I have so many questions buzzing round my brain - I'm just trying to get my head round it all!

Thanks for your advice and experience. xx

Of course you are worried, any invasive treatment is scary and more so when an anesthetic is involved. You would not be normal if you were not worried.

The 6 week restriction on activities is a guideline. Some people recover faster than others. It is best to give yourself time. I was driving again well before the 6 weeks was up.

Follow your surgeons guidelines as much as you can and if you have questions ASK.

You are naturally apprehensive but I promise you I am so glad I went ahead and had mine done.

hugs xxx

Hey cupcake..I had a hysterectomy at the end of April this year,after enduring years of pain..due to a large 20cm -13cm -11cm benign growth in my womb.My blood count was so low due to the problems it caused i had to have 4 units of blood to be fit enough to operate on.I was so scared of having the op i cant begin to tell you..but honestly its the best thing i have ever done...I was back at work 7 weeks later at the barbers and feel fantastic...If your suffering get it done,i feel like ive got my life back again....hope this helps x

Hi,
I am new to this site and came across your post.
I am 43 and had a total abdominal hysterectomy in March of this year, I had everything removed womb, ovaries tubes etc. Its taken a long time to recover but it was well worth it. If you haven't already log on to Hysterectomy Association - hysterectomy, menopause and hormone replacement therapy (hrt) information and support for women. where once registered you can find all the info you need. I joined agroup of ladies who all had the op in the same month and the support you get is awesome. Check it out its well worth it
Good luck

I just wanted to say im sorry you dont have a choice, and although your scared i think your being really brave.. Lots of love to you xxx

My mummy had a hystorectomy 2 years ago, she was well on the mend after 4 weeks, but to begin with found herself a little unable- but she had 5 kids to look after so my mums version of being unable means not being superwoman lol xx

Back