I crashed my car today!

Maximus

Gold Member
Another crash, another icy road, another statistic!

First time I've had an accident. I didn't pass my test until I was in my 40th year - I'm no boy racer (I wish lol).

Essentially the combination of an ungritted road (grrr) and black ice (double grr) saw my little Note career off the road into bushes/trees - then bounce back onto the road, across the carriage way onto on-coming traffic, where by sheer good fortune I manage to steer back to where I needed to be!

Nobody hurt, though the trees are written off! Amazingly, despite retrieving branches from the alloys and wheels, there are no scratches on my new vehicle, or indeed my old body!

I always assumed these things were caused by aggressive driving or excess speed. I was doing no more that 27 in a 40 zone and away she went. The whole thing probably lasted a few seconds, but seemed to take an hour!

Shaking like a leaf and replaying it over and over in my mind - dreading sleep tonight as I'm sure i'll dream of all sorts of "alternative endings".

In future when the forecasters suggest only essential journey should be undertaken, I will decide work is NOT essential!

Take care out there everyone. I hope I just prevent one "wipeout" by anyone reading this.

I'm a confident driver and have little or no fear of snowy/icy conditions. I can still hear my late mother commenting how it is usually the best/strongest swimmer who drowns. Looks like even now dear old mother knew best.

Car is now parked up for christmas!

Wow, glad you got out of it unscathed and well done for keeping the speed down because chances are another 3 miles an hour and it could have been a different story.

I'm glad you're ok. Take care x

Thanks all. Even now it seems unreal - like I dreamt it. I just hope it doesn't adversely affect me next time i'm out.

Trying desperately not to comfort-eat now! - bad times!

Oh no, I'm glad you're ok, take care of yourself XXX

Fab news...not the crash, the unscathed part!

Well done also for preserving your no claims bonus! hahaha

Seriously though....well done on being unhurt :)

How very scary for you. But well done for keeping your cool and avoiding a really serious outcome.

Did you sleep o.k. last night ?

I would not give anything for the chances of the car that coming in the opposite direction to us, at great speed, on a narrow country lane and on our side of the road, yesterday, doesn't ever have to experience the road conditions you experienced yesterday. He ran us off the road but thank goodness for DH's driving skills we are still in tact. If I had been driving it would have been a very different story.

Aww yuk!

Slept very poorly as I suspected. Re-lived every bit of it as I feared. I also woke up with cold/flu symtoms and aches and pains as a few people had warned me I would do.

A sort of delayed shock/stress pains. A fine start to Christmas, though I appreciate it could have been a lot worse and I received some truly dreadful news from a friend yesterday firmly putting my plight into real context.

My main concern today is being stuck in and not being able to get out and get some miles on the clock. I fear I would sit in and comfort eat - I'm sure I won't but I'm not thinking with great logic at present lol (no change there then before anyone beats me to it).

Many thanks for all wishes and concerns. I'm almost fearful of switching on the tv for news of people not so lucky.

Have a great Christmas and peaceful new year everyone - I feel my luck has already begun!

Steve

HAPPY CHRISTMAS STEVE !!!!!:xmastree::smiley1842::smiley522::xmassign::winter_brr:

Wishing you a relaxed day !!!!

A nice hot bath with Radox muscle relaxant will work wonders for the aches and pains.

Christmas hugs xxxxxx

And a happy christmas to you too Sue - indeed to everyone reading and especially everyone bold enough to make changes.

2011 please be kinder!

Phew, you were very lucky. So pleased that you and car escaped unscathed. I see from your stats that you have lost loads, you are going to do really well and NOT eat over this, those days are behind you now. Have a relaxing Christmas!

Our Consultant wrote his SW car ( little black thing with SW decals all over it.. ) off a few weeks ago..
ended up in the back of another car on the motorway.
he had no idea what happened and think he may have fallen asleep behind the wheel for a second or two.. scary stuff..

Glad you are OK. Hope you have had a lovely Christmas Day.

I took my DD out for a lesson (as such) this afternoon - she was driving a bit too fast 'in case' there was any ice on the roads - which I felt there was - told her a few times to slow down a bit - she thinks I'm an old fuddy duddy - will show her your post steve.

Anyway, enjoy the rest of christmas-time.

You do that! - and Also Captain Jack's post too! Shook me to the core! - I have no fear of snow/ice but I suddenly became only too aware of how you HAVE TO RESPECT SLIPPY SURFACES. Be it snow, black ice or even just rain.

Once you lose control it is then in the laps of the Gods and you just have to hope it is a good ending!

I was very lucky in that there was hardly any speed involved, few cars in the vicinity, very little damage and when I careere across into oncoming traffic, I somehow corrected it and we all moved on. I've played it over a zillion times and come to the conclusion there was nothing I could have done differently except slow right down - which I did when I drove past the same spot after having composed myself and made a few calls.

If it prevents one person doing the same - and let's face it, the road conditions will be worse in the coming months - it will be worthwhile.

I went for a walk today as had not been able to both Thursday & Friday because of being shaken-up and a touch of whiplash/pain. I feel back to normal thank God, but felt a few twinges, but basically back to normal as I was whinging about the cold, the incline and a start of a blister as I never put the correct hiking socks on! lol.

Its very scarey stuff. I had to drive home when it started snowing last saturday with my nephew in the car which made it even worse. So many accidents we drove pass. I think it was 8 accident in about 3miles. Took 4 1/2 hours to do 15miles. Normally a half hour jounery.

Take it easy for a few more days.

I was hit by a car at the beginning of the month. As I was getting into my car, a young lad on a side road doing about 40mph when really max was 20mph hit my car door. No damage to the car but it left me rather badly shaken and bruising to my right side including my face. Worse thing was had he of slowed down there was enough space for him to get passed. The TY^&££HE"# didn't even stop!

"....I was hit by a car at the beginning of the month. As I was getting into my car, a young lad on a side road doing about 40mph when really max was 20mph hit my car door. No damage to the car but it left me rather badly shaken and bruising to my right side including my face. Worse thing was had he of slowed down there was enough space for him to get passed. The TY^&££HE"# didn't even stop! ...."

Gosh, Lauren, sounds awful:(. Did you get his reg number? That drive with your nephew sounds really hairy too. What a relief to have finally got home. I am just preparing to drive from Central Scotland to North Wales just now, and have had a look on all the motorway web-cams to check the roads, but am feeling somewhat nervous about the journey. However, it's visiting family, so I'm going... slowly:D.

Back