I don't want to be fat and 50!

Hi All,

Complete newby here, I've never done SW before. I signed up on Monday and am doing EESP for my first week, with the aim of probably doing half and half after that.

A bit about me. I turned 49 on Saturday just gone and we came back from a skiing trip on the same day. I have weighed in at 14st 10, which is the heaviest I've ever been, and it really affected my skiing. I am determined to be slimmer before the next ski trip, which will probably coincide with my 50th birthday. As an interim target, my sort of step children are taking us to New York in May to celebrate my partner's 60th. I'm conscious that it could well be very warm and I do very badly in the heat as I hate wearing skimpy clothes. I'd really like to lose a couple of stone by then (should be doable in 4 months shouldn't it?)

I struggle with sensible eating as I'm a Project Manager and am on the road a lot and away from home normally at least a couple of nights a week. This means that my eating is erratic, often relying on motorway services, and I eat things I shouldn't in my hotel room at night out of boredom.

I've started the diary to help keep me accountable but, in the early days at least, it would be great if anyone could comment if they spot I'm doing anything majorly wrong. I'm actually really struggling at the moment to believe that I can lose weight eating everything that I have over the last couple of days.

Yesterday -

B- 2 Boiled Eggs
L- Homemade Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup with grilled bacon (fat cut off)
D- Salmon fillets plus salad (lettuce, pepper, cucumber and red onion) with fat free French Dressing followed by 4 mandarins
HeA - Didn't quite get my head round this so actually didn't have enough. It was 500ml of unsweetened almond milk
HeB - 16 almonds and 4 Kallo Thin Corn Cakes (should have been 8 but I was full)
Syns - 1 Actimel 0% (1 1/2 syns), 1 Muller Light Outrageous Orange Dessert (5 syns) and 1 Options Belgian Chocolate (1 1/2 syns) = 8 Syns

Today -

B- Quark with mixed berries and 3 mandarins
L- Homemade Cauliflower and Broccoli Soup with grilled bacon (fat cut off). Mussels, prawns and squid with lettuce.
D- Salmon fillets with butternut squash plus salad (lettuce, pepper, cucumber and red onion) with fat free French Dressing
HeA - Still not getting my head round this. It was 500ml of unsweetened almond milk. I don't drink ordinary milk and the allowance is a litre but I can't drink that.
HeB - 16 almonds and 4 Kallo Thin Corn Cakes (so far - not sure I'll get to the 8 it's supposed to be)
Syns - 1 Actimel 0% (1 1/2 syns) and 1 Options Belgian Chocolate (1 1/2 syns) = 8 Syns

This seems like way too much to me. Am I doing it wrong?

FF

Hiya x You have 2 amazing goals to spur you on and no your doing fine your food is lovely and varied, as long as your not hungry stick at what your doing x Wow thats a lot of milk for a hea could you maybe have some cheese or another choice and syn your milk if you don't need that much milk ?

Thank you :-D

I didn't think about having something else and synning the milk. That's a good idea. I only even manage the 500mls on the days I'm working from home and have an afternoon milky coffee. Other than that, it's only about 200ml in 2 cups of morning tea.

Hiya, have just started slimming world myself so have popped in to subscribe and say your food looks fab.

Thank you :)

It's looking good so far but it's still only Day 3 and I've been working from home so far lol. It gets more tricky when I'm on the road for work. I thought this week was a good one to start with as I'm only flying to Leeds and back on Friday. Hopefully by the time I've got the first week under my belt I'll be a bit more organised and take packed lunches or know what to pick up to eat when I'm out and about..

Good luck with your start too :)

Today's grub:-

B- Quark with Dorset Cereals Tasty Toasted Hazelnut & Brazil Muesli ( 25g - counted in Syns ) and a banana and an apple
L- Campbells Chicken Broth (counted as HeB). Prawns and Kale Crisps (homemade, the oil counted in Syns). An orange.
D- Grilled pork chops (fat cut off) with roasted butternut squash, pepper and red onion plus boiled kale, probably a couple of mandarins in a bit.
HeA - Only had 500ml of unsweetened almond milk again. I don't fancy any of the other options I could have
HeB - 4 Kallo Thin Corn Cakes (so far - not sure I'll get to the 8 it's supposed to be) plus the Chicken Broth from above
Syns - 1
Mullerlight Dessert Chocolate Fix, Orange Chocolate (5 syns), 1 Actimel 0% (1 1/2 syns) and 1 Options Belgian Chocolate (1 1/2 syns), the Muesli (5 syns) and Olive Oil ( 1 level tsp ) (2 syns) = 15 Syns

I feel like I'm eating fairly healthily.

Last edited:
If your hexa allowance is 1L and you're having half of your allowance, why not have another half hexa like some cheese or a Babybel. That way you're still getting your whole allowance and not having a calcium deficiency.

If your hexa allowance is 1L and you're having half of your allowance, why not have another half hexa like some cheese or a Babybel. That way you're still getting your whole allowance and not having a calcium deficiency.

Thank you for that suggestion. Today I've still only had 500cl of the milk so I've had half a HeA's worth of parmesan on my dinner. Was yummy :-D

B- Porridge Oats ( 35g - counted in HeB) and a banana and an apple
L- Homemade Butternut Squash Soup. Ham rolled round very low fat cottage cheese
D- Salmon fillets, griddled courgettes (no fat) with Parmesan (half a HeA), lettuce, cucumber and red onion, probably a couple of mandarins in a bit.
HeA - Only had 500ml of unsweetened almond milk again so added Parmesan as above
HeB - 4 Kallo Thin Corn Cakes (so far - not sure I'll get to the 8 it's supposed to be) and porridge for breakfast
Syns - 1
Mullerlight Dessert Chocolate Fix, Orange Chocolate (5 syns), 1 Actimel 0% (1 1/2 syns) and 1 Options Belgian Chocolate (1 1/2 syns) = 8 Syns

Oh, and I've had a sneaky peek weigh in and I've lost 3lbs since Monday :-D

Tomorrow should be interesting, I'm up at 5.30am to get to the airport, flying to Leeds for a meeting all morning and flying back again in the evening. I should get home about 8.30. I haven't in the slightest got my head round how I'm going to eat aside from taking some fruit with me.

Back