I know age shouldn't matter... but...

lighterlifeclaire

Silver Member
Hi All... :rolleyes:

I just wondered, how you all get on with your groups??

I have been on lighterlife for almost 3 weeks now and its going really well (I lost 18 pounds at my week 2 weigh in) but I'm finding it hard to share things with my group partially because there is such an age gap...

I am 21 and I don't know their ages but they are all probably late 30s+

Does anyone else have this problem?? Also, none of them are half as big as me

(I have about 10 stone to lose... I weighed 24stone on day 1 and I'm 6ft 2 so I'm supposed to weigh about 12 stone.... jeez, actually I have half my body weight to lose!... add another 2 stone to that 10!) :cry:

When I did Lighter Life two years ago the group ranged in age from 21 to 60+ and after a couple of weeks we were all quite matey. We all had differing amounts to lose from the minimum 3st to 8 st+.

I am sure you will find the other women understanding and the age difference wont bother them. I am 60+ and I am still friends with the 21 year old.

Good luck, you are doing so well.

Pam

Hi honey

I've not done LL, but I can understand where you are coming from. Perhaps you could see it as an opportunity to benefit from their experience?? I know I wish I had found a VLCD at your age!! Well on getting through 3 weeks :clap: and hopefully you will get some answers from people who actually attend class.

thanks for your replies... it isnt even me thinking 'well ur way too old to relate to me!' Our attitudes are alot different, I have never done a diet before and started the diet bouncing around the place !! (I am not depressed about my weight, I just know I have to do something about it before I drop dead of a heart attack) they have always struggled with 100's of diets... I'm losing alot more than them and maybe they are punishing themself for not finding LL at my age...

I don't know... I hope they are OK... maybe im just being paranoid!

I think too Claire, it takes time for strangers to open up and connect with others when dealing with something so personal - regardless of age. There is the fear of shame, and being laughed at ingrained in us - so sometimes what may appear as them not being interested in you is maybe just them testing the waters, and trying to come to grips with it all and developing trust in order to open up.

I don't think they would be jealous of you losing faster then them. We all start off at different paces, depending on the amount we have to lose.

Hopefully as the weeks go along you will all meld as a group and you won't feel uncomfortable.

Good luck to you hon. :)

I think your group will open up more and the age gap wont matter but until it does you have us all on minis for support and chat.

Hug P x

thanks peanut :)

(i couldnt help but think of the nutty bar as i was typing that... hahaaha)

i might hang around a bit more than often, you all seem such a lovely bunch :) who needs food when uve got minimins... :D

Hiya Claire

I am a great believer that whether you are male/female or 20 or 70 then we can all relate to the problems being overweight and hence all have empathy and a collective urge to not be overweight.

You are doing the diet for you which is key and from the look of it you are doing absolutely fantastically, so just focus on reaching goal weight and then focus on keeping the weight off for 1/2/5 years etc and you'll be set.

You can and will be an inspiration for many then...whether they are your age or as old as me ;-)

Mike

Hiya Claire

I am a great believer that whether you are male/female or 20 or 70 then we can all relate to the problems being overweight and hence all have empathy and a collective urge to not be overweight.

You are doing the diet for you which is key and from the look of it you are doing absolutely fantastically, so just focus on reaching goal weight and then focus on keeping the weight off for 1/2/5 years etc and you'll be set.

You can and will be an inspiration for many then...whether they are your age or as old as me ;-)

Mike

hey thanks mike... i think it just takes time to get to know people maybe :)

I'm sure i can get on and share experiences with people your age (haha:p) if we all tried :):rolleyes:

You're as old as you feel ! (saying that I feel about 93 today so maybe not the best say to use that analogy)

Anyway have a good week and keep smiling, you are going to be slim before you know it!

Mike

You're as old as you feel ! (saying that I feel about 93 today so maybe not the best say to use that analogy)

Anyway have a good week and keep smiling, you are going to be slim before you know it!

Mike

hahahha... 93... well you certainly don't look 93 ;) im sure it was you who i saw photos of with your son at disneyworld :rolleyes: they are amazing! well done :)

thanks mike... my week is going to be grrrrreat!!! :D

Our group is quite mixed in age, we have a young girl, not sure her age but she comes in school uniform, think she must be 16/17 then the oldest must be mid fifties, at the beginning I was a little unsure how we would all relate, but I have to say that I don't think about age any more, and I am sure the youngest one doesn't feel out of place.
It is a very personal experience we are going through and stuff will come up that we don't even talk about with our partners, so I think it does take time to learn to trust everyone. Give it a couple of weeks and everyone should relax a bit.

Hi Claire,

I'll buddy with you if you want. I am also early 20s and weighed 24 stone on day 1. I am 6 weeks down the line at the moment but if you want a young'un to chat with about it all then pm me or something.

Hey thanks Dave... I have NO IDEA how to PM you on this site (im new and getting used to things around here!) but when I find it I will do... good to hear there is someone my age around here... and a man too, i didnt know men got fat... haahaah well obviously I did but... hmmm :rolleyes:

btw dave... until i find that pm thing!

u said u started at 24 stone... how much have u lost to date and whats ur target?? also... how tall r u!!

Yeh i havent received a pm in weeks. Im so excited that I can sue another funciton on this site. Apart from that I am 5ft10. So not quite a ball of chub but not tall enough for it to disperse among my height.

ah... i see!!! I get it now!!!

Well... im probably guna end up posting this everywhere but u heard it here first... I had my third week weigh in tonight and have lost another 7 pounds ;) whey heyyyyyy

Back