I LOVE rice pudding!

HellieCopter

Gold Member
I really fancied a green day today. Had mostly red this week so was just in the mood for it, and and the weather has turned cold, a good old carb fest was in order. I have just made syn free rice pud! I can't quite believe it was free!! It was lovely and creamy. Okay, not quite rich and creamy like grandma used to make, but certainly good enough diet-friendly subsitute.
:eat:

So thanks for the idea (Lou I think it was!) I shall be making that again (and hopefully will be able to taste more, cos my nose will be unblocked! lol!)

Mmmm!!

sounds lovely, how do you make it, is it on the recipe thread?

It probably is but here's what I did...

2oz pudding rice - put in a pan on the hob and add 1 HE amount of skimmed milk (350ml). Cook on a low heat, stirring constantly for about 20 mins or so, til the rice is cooked and it's a nice creamy consistency. Add nutmeg (to your taste. Apparently cinnamon is also nice). If the milk gets all absorbed in the cooking, add boiling water so the rice continues cooking. It's just like cooking risotto really.
Then add some artificial sweetener to taste. Et voila!
I might make it in the oven next time, so it gets that lovely skin on top. That was always my favourite bit when I was little!

It probably is but here's what I did...

2oz pudding rice - put in a pan on the hob and add 1 HE amount of skimmed milk (350ml). Cook on a low heat, stirring constantly for about 20 mins or so, til the rice is cooked and it's a nice creamy consistency. Add nutmeg (to your taste. Apparently cinnamon is also nice). If the milk gets all absorbed in the cooking, add boiling water so the rice continues cooking. It's just like cooking risotto really.
Then add some artificial sweetener to taste. Et voila!
I might make it in the oven next time, so it gets that lovely skin on top. That was always my favourite bit when I was little!

Sounds lovely, off to get some pudding rice tomorow to try it. Do you think quark would make it even creamier

Yeah either of those perhaps, but the creamy texture seems to come from the consistency of the rice rather than the milk...I think louise said she puts a muller light in hers! More experimenting for me next time I do a green day, I think :)

Somerfields sell pudding rice.

And if you add a vanilla muller light it makes the rice pudding lovely and creamy :D

Try risotto rice - Arborio, it's called. It's a similar, short grained rice that will go a similar creamy consistency!

Back