Red Day I seriously need inspiring with red day ideas

Red Riding Hood

Silver Member
Hi there

I'm doing SW at home and I've only had the odd red day, mostly becasue I'm so uninspired with what to have. I did peppered burgers with extra lean beef mince and butternut squash wedges but tonight I'm just having salad and cold meats. I'm not usually so stuck with recipes as I cook quite a bit but for some reason I have a complete mental block about red days.

Has anyone got any interesting red day recipes or suggestions they would be willing to share? :D

Hi,
Have you looked at the Doner Kebab recipe- I am making this tonite!! Or:-

My brother swears by this recipe:

Thai Salmon Burgers

(Serves 2, makes 4 burgers)

4 boneless, skinless salmon fillets
2 tbsp Thai red curry paste (2 syns)
thumb-size piece fresh root ginger, finely chopped
1 tsp soy sauce
1 handful coriander, chopped
frylight

Tip the salmon into a food processor with the paste, ginger, soy and chopped coriander. Pulse until roughly minced. Tip out the mix and shape into 4 burgers. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan, then fry the burgers for 4-5 mins on each side, turning until crisp and cooked through.

Can also be cooked in the oven

Hope that helps I will try and cut and paste some more

Kx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I have a mustard glazed chicken recipe:

(9.5 total or just over 2 syns each)
8 skinned chicken drumsticks
1-2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tblsp Dijon mustard (2 syns)
1 tblsp English mustard (1.5 syns)
2 tblsp brown sugar (6 syns)
4 tblsp lemon juice
Salt & pepper

Mix all ingredients except chicken in a bowl and beat well.
Arrange chicken drumsticks under the grill on a moderate heat.
Spoon a quarter of mixture over the chicken then grill.

Turn whilst cooking basting with mustard mixture. Cook until chicken is tender.

Kx

Some of my red day favourites include:
- the classic chicken breast stuffed with HEA cheese wrapped in bacon and baked for about 40 mins or so. Serve with HEB jacket pot and roasted veggies or salad.
- as above but with the cheese on top not inside smothered in syn free bbq sauce to make hunters chicken
- roast dinner of any description with HEB of pots, loads of veg and synned bisto gravy
- chicken pepperpot: dry fry cut up chicken breast with loads of mushrooms and some onion. Make up half a packet of pepper sauce with water or milk from allowance (few syns in the sauce but worth it!). Put into a ovenproof dish and top with HEB of sliced potato (skin on). Bake until potato is tender (approx 45 mins but can speed up by microwaving or parboiling potato first)
- stir fries but with lots of beansprouts instead of noodles or rice
- chicken strips, peppers, onions cooked in mexican spices served butternut squash chips or HEB portion of pot wedges and a salad

Hope these help to get you started!

I quite like mince&veg, easy to re-head in the microwave for lunch the next day too:

Fry mince, then add tomatoe (tin or passata), let simmer. Add whichever veg you have/like. I made it the other day with garlic, onion, sweat snaps, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, mushrooms. Little drop of natural youghurt on top, voila!

I know what you mean RRH, my intended red days often end up morphing into EE..which is daft really...today was going to be a red (pork chop, new pots and green beans for dinner), but there is a shedload of minestrone (with cannellini beans and potatoes) in the fridge that needs eating, so...EE it'll be

suggestions are cottage pie - with cauli topping - to make your potato HEB go further, or cut it out entirely, slightly overcook cauliflower fresh or frozen and mash it with loads of salt and pepper and a splash of milk

someone mentioned gammon on a syn thread..with egg and SW chips - yum (shame no free peas on red though)

grill ups, or bbq's

meat / chicken curry, with veg curry alongside - don't really need rice!

I too, have an imagination deficit with red days...I've just looked back at my diary and tend to have red at the weekend with a roast!

perhaps that'll be my mission (once the soup is finished!)

Have you tried the pizza topped chicken Red, its really nice x

Oooh, I'd forgotten about this - thank you for the reminder as it really is yummy (and I used to enjoy bashing the chicken breast as thin as possible, good for anger management!!!)

Gammon steak pizza works well too!

I find just some plain ole steamed cauliflower, seasoned with salt and sprayed over the top with buttery flavour pam spray (similar to frylight) goes beautifully with curry in place of rice.

Roasted veggies are another great side dish to any meat dish. You can literally throw into a roasting tray any veggies and it will work well. My favs being - peppers, onion, carrot, courgette and aubergine.

Mashed suede and carrot is great in place of mashed potatoes.

and I love roasted butternut squash sprinkled with paprika.

So you can literally make any red dish more filling by making sure you keep them interesting with yummy side dishes.

Last edited:
I find just some plain ole steam cauliflower, seasoned with salt and sprayed over the top with buttery flavour pam spray (similar to frylight) goes beautifully with curry in place of rice.

Roasted veggies are another great side dish to any meat dish. You can literally throw into a roasting tray any veggies and it will work well. My favs being - peppers, onion, carrot, courgette and aubergine.

Mashed suede and carrot is great in place of mashed potatoes.

and I love roasted butternut squash sprinkled with paprika.

So you can literally make any red dish more filling by making sure you keep them interesting with yummy side dishes.

I love the cauliflower idea!
Are we allowed butternut squash on red days? x

On a red day today. Bacon scrambled eggs and tinned tomatoes for brekkie. Home made soup for lunch. Then used all my HEX on 2 wholemeal rolls and some cheese to have with my homemade burgers, homemade coleslaw and salad. OH can't believe I'm actually still on plan.

Back