I want to bake!

Krsemma

I miss baking :cry: Or should that be I miss eating the cookies and cakes I like baking!!!

Are there any tools on the sw website that helps you syn recipes?

Not sure about that Krsemma, but if you look in the recipe section there is a SW cake thats very popular with SW syn free lemon curd...at least you can eat what you bake then!

I can definately recommend the spanish orange cake, I have made it this evening and it is stunning! Its a real cake (not a 'cake substitute' like the chickpean cake!) topped with a syrup (that tastes like the jelly bit from jaffa cakes!) and you really won't know that its a 'diet' cake - I am already thinking of the forthcoming events where can make one to take!
I know the recipe is on the SW website but if you need me to post it up let me know x

cherry-pie said:
I can definately recommend the spanish orange cake, I have made it this evening and it is stunning! Its a real cake (not a 'cake substitute' like the chickpean cake!) topped with a syrup (that tastes like the jelly bit from jaffa cakes!) and you really won't know that its a 'diet' cake - I am already thinking of the forthcoming events where can make one to take!
I know the recipe is on the SW website but if you need me to post it up let me know x

I would love to know the recipe please it sounds yum x

the spanish orange cake sounds yummy will have to go and have a look at the recipe - thanks for sharing

Here you go, enjoy! The recipe is from SW website, also in the World of flavours cookbook.

Spanish Orange Cake

Serves: 12
Syns per serving:
4 Syns on Extra Easy, Green and Original

For the cake
4 eggs, separated
50g/2oz golden caster sugar
5 tbsp artificial sweetener
150g/5oz self-raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp finely grated orange zest
juice of 2 oranges (I just used medium sized, seemed to create plenty of juice and zest!)

For the syrup
zest of 2 oranges, finely grated into long strips
juice of 2 oranges
1 tbsp arrowroot (I've never used this before, but found it in morrisons baking isle!)
4 tbsp Splenda Brown Sugar Blend

To serve
fresh raspberries
long strips of grated orange zest

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Line a 20cm/8in cake tin with non-stick baking parchment.
2. Place the egg yolks, caster sugar, sweetener, self-raising flour, baking powder and orange zest and juice in a bowl and whisk until thick and pale.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg whites until softly peaked then fold them into the egg yolk mixture. Spoon this mixture into the prepared cake tin and cook in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the cake is risen and firm to the touch. Leave to cool.
4. Meanwhile place all the syrup ingredients in a saucepan with 90ml/3fl oz of water and bring to the boil, whisking constantly. When it starts to thicken, remove from the heat.
5 and decorate with raspberries and grated orange zest. Cut into wedges to serve.

I cooked it in a silicone 8" pan and it turned out a treat. It did rise beautifully in the oven but sank on cooling. Syrup covered up the wrinkles left by sinking! I didn't have any raspberries or long strips of zest but hey, I had cake!
OH has never liked previous SW attempts at cake (weetabix, scan bran, the dreaded chickpeas etc but he did like this one!)

I wonder if you could make them into orange upside down cakes, put a slice of orange in the bottom of several ramakins and a few tablespoons of the syrup mixture then top with the cake mixture, bake then turn them out so th orange is onto and the syrup rubs down the cake. I guess it messes up the syn values then. Either way that recipe sounds so yummy. Can't wait to try it x

Sorry about the spelling I'm not drunk it's my silly iPad writing what it wants and me forgetting to check over it!!

Oooh, good idea Ness, might be worth a little experimentation! Although, I would start off with a half mix or you would need many many ramekins! I might try it again soon with lemons, or half / half lemons and oranges and bake in a loaf tin, perhaps replacing the syrup with a really thin lemon water icing for more of a classic lemon drizzle cake. Just need the patience to sit down and work out the syns for this!

Back